Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2002 10:55:44 AM EDT
Wanna find out?

Here's what you do...
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0MAAAAJEOW1DfnzbDa4bv2aDFhwiy7Orvih55UCMU92T6GxmPmrBHG6lWFudYuWumjFZ5oX8ujfwAAAAAAAAAAA/0040.JPG[/img]

Grab a couple karate white belts, if you "think" you already know about knife fighting you probably have several, and electrical tape them as shown in photo.

This will make them stiff but flexible (insert sex toy referrence here) and a good knife training substitute.

Then find a buddy who also thinks he is a skilled commando and go at it.

A couple basic rules of engagement I use are:

- Any slice or stab to the torso or vitals is a kill. You take a single hit and you are dead. Game over.

- Any slice or stab to the legs and you are incapacitated and as a result, dead. Game over.

- A slice or stab to the weapon arm and you may change the weapon to the weak arm, no time out is called you change while you are engaged with the enemy. You take a hit to a vital while you change and you are dead. Game over.

- A slice or stab to the second (weak) weapon arm, after you have transitioned once already is a kill. Game over.

What I love about this exercise is it teaches you how dramatically fast and vicious a real knife fight would be, and usually how really bad you would lose one. Kills happen fast and engagements last only seconds.

I've seen amatuer hacks carve up "experts" all the time. I especially love the Tae Kwon Do guys who attempt to cresent kick the knife out of their opponents hands. They are usually stabbed 8-10 times before their foot is back on the ground.

Knife fighting is one of theose things, like swimming, where you learn more by doing than thinking about it. Once you have the basic technique down, it is mostly practice.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Grab a couple karate white belts, if you "think" you already know about knife fighting you probably have several,.
View Quote

bwahahahaha!!!!
that made me LOL,
now THAT'S funny!!!

BTW, aug is right on the money, "knife fighting" is something a lot of people "think" they know about (ususally your poser types) but really don't.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#2]
We used to get POS old white tees shirts and magic markers, just so there aren't any excuses.  A mark is a cut, no "if's" "and's" or "but's" about it.

Most people don't understand that the chances are against you being able to escape a knife fight with out injury.  Once initiated, 1 of three things will happen:

1)  You don't get cut, you cut/kill your opponent. YAY!

2) You get cut/killed buy your opponent.

3) you both get cut/killed.

So basically you have a 1 in 3 chance of surviving a knife fight.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#3]
HEY! Those are Kendo odds. One of the first things you learn, you will probably die.

Most encounters are "Ai Uchi", mutual slaying.

And Vin, the marker and t shirt routine is not nearly as effective as the above. Try it. Besides a full power stab with a marker can create a genuine injury.

That is the nice thing about the belts, real time and real speed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#4]
No.

That's why I carry a gun.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I ALWAYS carry a knife that I depend on as a last resort....kinda like Oxygen....I need it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#6]
No.
But, I can run like hell.

I once read that if you must engage the knife-wielding opponent, do it with something, anything, longer than his reach with the blade and keep him as far away as you can until you can get the hell outta there.
One or both of you WILL get injured or killed, unless you can escape at maximum velocity.

I, for one, do not want to participate in a knife fight.
Disengagement is the best option.
Having a firearm and some distance wouldn't be too bad either.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Besides the obvious defenses against a knife (Gun or Get the fuck outta Dodge), I have found one of the better carried weeapons is a ASP.

The main reason I posted this is a LOT of people carry knives and assume they will be comptent with them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 6:05:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 7:57:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Besides the obvious defenses against a knife (Gun or Get the fuck outta Dodge), I have found one of the better carried weeapons is a ASP.

The main reason I posted this is a LOT of people carry knives and assume they will be comptent with them.
View Quote

Honestly, we've had this discussion at the gym many a time.  If we settled down for mortal combat and the objective was kill or be killed, I would take how many hits it took to make that one killing thrust into your chest.  For a while I was on the other side of the stick v. knife senario, saying I could knock the knife out of your hands etc.  So we settled it the closest way we could, we put on head gear and gloves, grabed out weapons and tried it (fake knife of course).  Well as much as I tried I was able to avert the attack 3 out of the 10 chances I had.  I'm not one to brag, but I'm no schlep with Kali.  I was won over.  Of course the gloves made it harder to disarm, but hell, this isn't the Filipines and we all wanted to be able to train the next day.  The basic theme was my opponet would simply rush keeping the knife tucked in tight, using his empty hand to cover/parry any swings I took and just make a killing blow.  Yes, if it were a metal asp his arm would probably been broken, but I would have still been dead.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Vinnie,

I'm right there with you.... we practice Kali once a week.  Run or prepared to get cut.... ::shrug::

I like that y'all tested the stick vs. knife.  Good to know. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#11]
For Lynn C. Thompson's
[img]http://www.coldsteel.com/A_Ngifs_folder/Nwarriorsedge.gif[/img]

go here [url]http://www.coldsteel.com/index-b.html[/url] and pick on [b]Training Division[/b] at left, he also has a good "Cut & Don't Be Cut" article on left under [b]Artices[/b]

Mike
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Vinnie,

I'm right there with you.... we practice Kali once a week.  Run or prepared to get cut.... ::shrug::

I like that y'all tested the stick vs. knife.  Good to know. [:D]
View Quote

That's one of the great parts about here.  It's more of a hang out than just a gym/school.  Most of the senor guys have keys and show up just to BS, so everynow and then we get into a discussion about tactics.  The next plan is that the small group of us that do shoot are getting together and practicing room clearing, peel off and other CQB drills. [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top