Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2002 5:40:18 AM EDT
Here is a bit of a back story:

I have a heart condition, so I have never been a very physical person. No P.E. class when I was in school, no running around as a kid, no riding a bike, basically no exercise.

Over the years I kept putting on weight, and had gotten a bit over 350 pounds. I had trouble breathing and my heart condition was getting worse. I was in pretty bad shape.

I started to walk around my basement since I was too embarrassed to go outside or go to a gym. I would walk a few laps and then get tired. I joined a "count your calories" program and tried to eat less.

I kept at it, and I could eventually walk around outside and not tire out. My girlfriend(fiance now) was ecstatic that I was just walking around.

I have kept at it for a couple of years and as of this morning I was at 230 lbs (my high school weight!!). Still a bit round, but I'm 6'1" so it's not too bad. I would like to be around 200, or at least look good naked!

It has taken me quite a bit of time to loose the weight since I can not really get my heart pumping. I do have to credit my fiance, since she has stuck by me no matter how big I got over the years.

No particular reason to share, I'm just happy with myself.

Av.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:45:10 AM EDT
[#1]
keep at it my brother. congratulations on the weight loss.

i too have a heart condition that manifested itself after a full military career.[b] heart attack!![/b] <-- painful! dont let that happen to you.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:02:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:09:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Avalon01,

That is FANTASTIC!! It takes a lot of determination to stick with a health improvement program that long. I don't even know you and I am proud of you for starting a program and sticking with it to your goal, even with your obstacles. Good Job!

As far as trimming down to 200lbs., have you talked to your doctor about a weight lifting program? Maybe as long as you didn't overdo it?
(That will help you look good nekked too!)
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:19:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations!  And kudos to your fiance for being so supportive, too.... [:)]

I was thinking weight training, as well.  The more muscle you develop, the more calories you burn overall.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:44:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Congrats!!  That's really awesome, and you should be proud.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the support. It has been a long hard road.

nichcon: I have just started working some very light dumb-bells into my exercise routine. The doc said it would be OK, he's been monitoring my progress closely since I started.

Again, thanks for the kind words, and see you at the BRC!

Av.

Link Posted: 5/23/2002 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Congats!  The key is to always keep pushing yourself to improve.  Never "settle" for any particular state of fitness.  

Funny...I'm trying to get UP to 230lbs.[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top