Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2002 6:55:59 PM EDT
Ever notice the people who go to the gym religiously,then they get "hooked-up" with a girlfriend and gain 25-50lbs and let themselves go to hell.A bud of mine fits this profile to the T.He lifts and loses weight every time he's on his own.Then he gets "hooked-up" again and lets himself go to hell.Why do people become complacent like this?Is this something any of you guys notice?
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Most women put on weight once they are in a relationship, but I never noticed any guys putting on weight.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Your right.....both in the "relationship" usually let themselves go.After @30yrs of lifting/exercising I've only known 1 couple that both went on to work-out together as well as being married w/3 kids till the present date in time and its been at least 20yrs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 4:56:39 AM EDT
[#3]
My theory?  When you're not in a relationship you need to be at your "fighting weight."  If you're out competing (and it is a competition.. especially for females) in the single market you need to be in your best shape.  

Once you tag and bag a decent one, you go through that "I want to spend all my time with you" phase... that usually means sleeping in and cuddling and [}:D] instead of hitting the gym.  Then you get out of the routine.  Your body can stay in semi-decent shape for a few months... usually long enough for the "I love you" declaration which is implied permission to let yourself go.  After all, this other person loves you for WHO you are not how you look, right?

I'm not going to lie... I've gotten out of my routine in the beginning of every relationship I've been in.   But some folks, like myself, will get grumpy if they are away from the gym too long.  It's a matter of priorities... I consider working out as making my health a priority.  

FWIW, I think when you love someone, appearance isn't as much of an issue.  Then again, I've never dated guys who were overweight and my lifestyle is active enough that someone who wanted to be a sedentary couch potato wouldn't last long in my life.  ::shrug::  
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Good theory M_M.But no ones going to take care of 'you' better than yourself.....a lesson I learned over the years.The gym is for ME!I go to the gym for ME not for the wimminz.I never want to become infected by that disease most call _LUV_ again....now a lil [sex] is ok,but no luv!
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:49:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Good theory M_M.But no ones going to take care of 'you' better than yourself.....a lesson I learned over the years.
View Quote

Um... did you read the whole post?  That's exactly what I said....

Quoted:
It's a matter of priorities... I consider working out as making my health a priority.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/23/2002 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#6]

I'm way too vain to stop working out on account of a relationship, but I have noticed this phenomenon.  

My girlfriend of 3 years started working out when we first started dating.  She looks really great now.  I'm a firm believer in women hitting the weights, especially squats.

The ONLY thing that keeps me out of the gym for more than 3 or 4 days is the Army.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top