Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2002 3:47:25 AM EDT
I know it doesnt sound like much but this morning I finally met my goal I had set for myself. I am conditioning to take the police academy physical test and I have to do a mile and a half run in under 12:50. This may not seem much but I have never been a strong runner for some reason.  I used to be able to swim all day long when I was doing it every day but i still could not do a decent mile. I have been pretty inactive the last few years out of high school but now i am working it again. I get up at 6:30 in the morning and run. I have been doing it for the past few weeks on and off but trying to get in at least 4 days a week. this morning I ran it in 11:40. I have been getting so close but not making the whole mile and a half without stopping.  Any tips?? I cramp every once in a while but try to deep breath it out. Is that correct? Thanks guys..just had to share :)
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 5:50:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 6:16:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Ed..I never thought about taking creatine for endurance. When I was lifting weights in high school I took creatine for about 10 months. Maybe its time to try it again. I do remember the grape flavor made me not want to drink grape juice for the longest time though :)
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 6:34:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Good job Flash!

I am not much of a runner either. Played football and track in highschool, but refused to run anything over 1 lap. One summer training for football (before my junior year at college, so I was used to physical activity) I decided to try distance running for conditioning. I could not run 1.5 miles at a decent pace without having to stop and walk. Eventually, over the next few years, I got to the point where I could run a couple miles at a decent pace. My point is that in my experience, distance running is something that has to be worked at, and just becuase someone is active in another manner doesn't mean distance running will come easy.

Also, I though creatine improved anaerobic activity (lifting and sprinting) but didn't help aerobic (distance running)
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:18:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I will never forget the day that nichcon made a bet with me that I couldn't do a mile in under 6 minutes.  Although I used to do a 3.1 mile in 18 minutes back in high school, I hadn't run at all for the preceding 3-4 years.

Well anyhow, I made it by about 10 seconds, and then puked my guts out!  Man, that was cool!
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:47:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:28:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Any tips?? I cramp every once in a while but try to deep breath it out.
View Quote

DRINK WATER (lots and lots of water) and stretch before and after your run.  If you have to piss every 1-2 hrs you are on the right track.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#7]
flashooter,

1. Drink some pickle juice before running it will help with the cramps.

2. The day before your physical test donate plasma.  They take the plasma then pump the red blood cells back in which is blood doping and will improve your performance.

Good luck,

Shok
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I will never forget the day that nichcon made a bet with me that I couldn't do a mile in under 6 minutes.  Although I used to do a 3.1 mile in 18 minutes back in high school, I hadn't run at all for the preceding 3-4 years.

Well anyhow, I made it by about 10 seconds, and then puked my guts out!  Man, that was cool!
View Quote

I was sad I lost five bucks...

but glad he had to suffer for it!! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks Ed..I never thought about taking creatine for endurance. When I was lifting weights in high school I took creatine for about 10 months. Maybe its time to try it again. I do remember the grape flavor made me not want to drink grape juice for the longest time though :)
View Quote

Don't bother with the creatine.  It's use is in the C-P(creatine-phosphate) cycle of cellular respiration, which is anaerobic( cellular resp. without oxygen ).  The C-P cycle is the first
level cellular resp. which occurs form 0 to 90 seconds once intense activity begins.  Two minutes into your run, your body will be using fat and glucose as fuel.  

223REM

PS  The added water retention common with Creatine use, it may cause cramps if your electrolytes are not balanced.  Plus if your systemic volume increases rapidly, you may experience evelated blood pressure.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top