Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2002 1:34:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I've been told, working out right before you go to bed isn't good. Working out causes the blood to flow more, raises your metabolism, and keeps you awake almost like the effects of caffiene has. If it's a couple hours(2-3) before you hit the hay I wouldn't see a big problem in it since by then you will have cooled down, decreased your metabolism, and the fatigue will be setting in actually helping you fall asleep faster. Working out helps you sleep better also. This is just what I've learned over the years, but sometimes doing it by the book or by someone else's routine(i.e.magazines) don't always work for you. You have to find the right routine and right time(s) to work out that best fit your schedule and daily lifestyle.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 1:43:15 PM EDT
[#2]
What matters most is simply getting that exercise. The time of day doesn't matter that much. My girlfriend is an RN who also works nights. She likes to run marathons so running is her only form of training, and if she has the energy after a hard night at work, she'll run. Otherwise, she'll get up early and run before heading to work. Me, I work normal hours and can't seem to make myself get up in the mornings to hit the pavement for a run so I do it after work most of the time. The exception is long runs; I usually do those in the morning on weekends. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Midnight shift sucks for working out.  I know cause I have done it for about 5 years.  I am fortunate enough to have my gym inside the institution, so I work out during my lunch break.  Keep in mind I am not a die hard gym rat, just wanting to stay in shape, so the short time I have I just make the best of.  Before the gym was inside, I worked out after I got off work.  It actually didnt do too bad if I left about an hour or so before I went to bed.  I do my runs (well, when I feel like it.  Not to hip on running) before I take my shower to get ready for work.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#4]
i always run at night about 30 minutes before i go to bed,its the best time for me to run.
i run and cool down a few min, take a shower then hop in bed. i run 3-5 miles. i have done this for 10yrs.
long runs i do on weekend morning,i wake up about 6:00. 8-15 miles
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I did it for a long while when I used to work from midnight until 8 AM.  I made more progress then than I made when working normal hours and working-out before breakfast.  Like lethal said, you might have trouble going to sleep, but I can go to sleep two minutes after running without a problem.  I guess just try it and see how you like it.z
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:42:39 AM EDT
[#7]
This is only my experience, it may not work with you.

I used to run for 20 minutes 3 days a week about an hour before bed.

I had no problems going to sleep, and I experienced huge weight loss. In my opinion due to the fact that normally when you go to sleep at night your metabolism drops off. If you run before hand, your metabolism stays revved up for the first few hours at least, and your burn excess fat.

However, as SR. said, I'm sure a lot of people would experience sleep problems due to being jacked up after a run.

Another point I would like to make is,
-Don't lift weights after a run. In order for strength training to work you must lift heavy weight. If your body is tired from either running or working all day, your not going to be able to lift a weight heavy enough to attain hypertrophy.(The point at which your muscle tissue "Tears" causing growth.)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top