Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2011 2:27:25 PM EDT
I studied Krav for awhile when I live in Missouri. I now live away from any schools that teach it. So looking around on the net, I found this:

http://www.crystallakeninja.com/register/

I left it cold on purpose.

Does it look legit to anyone who has studied real Asian Martial Arts?

I want a combatives type class and not a Karate school, I'm an older adult and just want to get back to breaking sh!t and, you know.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Just go there and sit in on a class and look for yourself.  Talk with the instructor, see how he acts and what kind of person are they.  Criticize his techniques and see how he explains it to you.    

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:33:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I took this photo directly from their website, do they look like the real thing to you?

I do Krav too, maybe I'm just spoiled.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah DOW, those photos made me question this school. I'm hoping this was a demo day type set of photos.

I'll be attending a class or two this week to evaluate.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting. I'm coming from the other side of this dilemma. After about 20 years in Karate and Jiujitsu, I'm moving to a new city and want to try something new. Should I give Krav Maga a look? (not trying to hijack this thread...just curious about Krav Maga and its benefits)

BTW, the school linked in the original post does not look promising. Tread with caution.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd be weary of any place that has ninja in their title.

Also, Krav Maga is retarded.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#6]
There's a Krav school somewhere near Gurnee, IIRC.

Not that far from you.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Krav Maga has been watered down greatly by many "practitioners" of the art. Try to find a school that sticks to Imi Lichtenfeld's original style and you're ahead of the game. Research is key to avoiding a McDojo and finding a good school with full contact sparring.

My school is an affiliate of the Krav Maga Federation and it's the real thing. Every belt is earned and nothing is given away for simply paying/showing up. We spar a lot.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#8]
IDF has recently replaced Krav with a new system anyway.  

Have you heard of it?

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:22:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Krav Maga has been watered down greatly by many "practitioners" of the art. Try to find a school that sticks to Imi Lichtenfeld's original style and you're ahead of the game. Research is key to avoiding a McDojo and finding a good school with full contact sparring.

My school is an affiliate of the Krav Maga Federation and it's the real thing. Every belt is earned and nothing is given away for simply paying/showing up. We spar a lot.

The largest school that follows Imi Lichtenfeld in the US is Krav Maga Worldwide http://www.kravmaga.com/about-us/.  The school I've been attending was a member of that but apparently there was some sort of falling out and Krav Maga Worldwide started focusing more on making money than training, so the school switch their affiliation to Krav Maga Global http://krav-maga.com/ because they were more focused on the training aspects of things.

Last Saturday we had a 4 hour seminar with Shachar Klarfeld, former head of Krav Maga for the IDF for over 18 years.  He was in the country doing training and we were able to get him for an afternoon.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#10]
AOL sucks, disregard.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer self-defense stuff to the hard martial arts for SELF DEFENSE situations.
That school seems to focus on self defense.
That school also seems to be quite expensive. Could be worth it, maybe not.

Check it out and see if that school seems like a good fit for what you want. No one else can tell you if it is or not.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Find a top MMA school.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I go to Krav Maga Worldwide and it is good training.  I haven't been to a class where you didn't need gloves.  There are fitness bag classes, mma classes, level progression classes and groundwork classes.  The instructors are ultra helpful and make a huge difference when you need encouragement.  They are really setup with heavy bags, kicking shields, tombstones and focus mitts for the entry and mid level classes.  As students progress, the pads seem to disappear more.

I started in November and have went at least a few times per week.  At $100 a month with unlimited access I'm fine with it.  It is an Imi Lichtenfield school.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top