Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2002 5:59:06 PM EDT
I'm thinking maybe I'm hard on myself...but I_LUV_[;)]CARROTS[;)]....oops.. I mean I_LUV_THEPAIN I inflict on my sorry arse at the gym.(Daily) I start off with the cardio for the first sweat of the day......Then I proceed to Chest,Back,Shoulders(CBS) or Legs,Arms(LA)....for the main course'.....and a daily appettiser-dessert/ of abs=LegLifts/crunches worked in there somewhere.[:)]...you think I'm going to burn my arse out or get injured first?......zoom,(aboardelderIrespectforhislongtermoutlook)my friend,can I call you my friend,what's your take on this, as well as you ALL OTHER GYM RATS.[;)]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Bolt..  

Yes, You are going to burn yourself out!
Based on your thread,  using the word 'Daily"..  I have to assume your working out at least 6 days a week..  which is too much even with the push/ pull theory. In your routine, you are working the same muscle 6 days in a row.. [shock] Your setting yourself up for Major Injury by not allowing enough time for Muscle tissue repair, Even on 6 days a week with the Push /pull routine, your setting yourself up for Ligament and tendon problems as they take 72 hours to heal.. There really isn't any reason to be
working each muscle more than twice a week..  Think Intensity instead of quantity my friend.. Your body will freak and respond accordingly..[:)]  
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 4:50:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#3]
sundays are for legs
5 sets of full squats,lunges to finish it off.
5 sets on the leg press
5 sets of leg extension
5 sets leg curls
5 sets on the calves
5 sets in the seated curl machine
monday shoulders
5 sets lateral raises/db
5 sets front raises/db
behind shoulder press 5 sets seated
5 sets front shoulder press
5 sets of rotator cuff excersices
tuesday back/biceps
3 sets seated curls/db for warm up
5 sets row machine/low row
3 sets lat pull downs/wide grip
3 sets lat pull downs/butterflygrip
3 sets underhand closegrip pulldown
pull upps every other week instead of pull downs
one arm rows 5 sets each side on d/b
5 sets reverse bicep curl
3 sets seated curls heavier weight
wednesday repeat sunday with lighter weight
thursday chest/triceps
tricep raise d/b lt wght 3 sets
incline/decline and chest press 5 sets each
incline flys 5 sets
riceps raise d/b heavy weight 3 sets
fridayrotator cuff excersices and abs
hard workout friday on abs
during the week i will mix in calf and ab work out with the other stuff.
change is good so change up your routine to keep shocking your muscle's
hit your muscles on different machines or weights to keep them in a state of shock
pain is good once it goes away hit them again.
oh yea i like the pain it lets me know i'm still alive and i've done something
rescue92
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 4:08:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Eds right......I do my exercises mainly to tone/maintain.I'm a realist'_ plus I'm to old to be looking for more muscle.I'm not luvcarrots or growinggrass ed,plus I gotta open the up the place up north usually on memorial day.So[:(]no BRC for me.But I do LUV_PAIN, I must, I do it too much.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 5:01:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Over training will weaken you.
It will achieve "definition", but not strength.
When you over-train, you do not allow the muscle to heal and grow.  You are layering scar tissue upon scar tissue.

IF you BP twice a week, one workout should be heavy, and the other light (for speed).

Every few months you should take a break for at least 2 weeks.
Otherwise you will be plagued with chronic aches and injuries (rotator cuffs, wrists, knees...).

Link Posted: 5/11/2002 5:35:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah.. I'll admit it... I love the burn.  Back when I was hitting the gym a bit harder (now MA is taking up a lot of my gym time) my fitness instructor looked at me like I was nuts when I told him that my quads hurt so bad when I was done that I wanted to reach inside and itch them... [:D]  

I push myself pretty hard.... and if someone else is pushing me I won't give up.  Definately helped through boot camp oh-so-many years ago.  LOL  

My biggest problem is not giving myself enough rest if I am injured.  That and too much faith in my body's recuperative powers.  Oh.. and occasional bad judgement... i.e. decided to jump on one of my three year olds last night on a whim.  Should have put the dog up because she decided to spook my filly when I was on her.  What I can say is she is incredibly well balanced and is going to be a great athlete.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 6:03:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the burn from weights....detest it from running.  A dull ache in my chest arms or legs is great...not in my lungs.  By the way, did I say I hate running?[:D]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to enjoy it. Worked out hard from 1979 to about 1992 - 5 days a week, 2+ hours a day. Went from 95lbs to 230. I was addicted. But heavy squats have screwed up my back and knees. My right shoulder gives me a fit. I definitely got burned out. On the days I do make it into the gym, I lift smarter, not harder. But in the back of my mind, I still wish I were squating 500.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#10]
rescue, I'm also in SC.  When you end-up in the hospital from those 96 sets per week(!), I'll come visit.  Just kidding, but that is a lot to keep-up with long-term.  You must like the burn.

bolt, I really like the burn sometimes, but I have to go to such great lengths to get it that I don't make progress from it.  I usually try to avoid doing it often now.  You guys might be different, but that's just me.  However about once every three weeks, I will do a work-out super slow and feel it until my vision starts to narrow and darken.  I don't know if it's effective, but it certainly seems like it should be.  Also, once every few weeks, I'll also do high reps of Olympic lifts.  That leaves me sore and burning.  Again, I don't know if it's effective, but it is nice to make progress on the weights I'm lifting even if they are just from technique.  Again, that's once every three weeks at the most with more time resting before working-out again.  If you are fast at recovering (like from good genetics or from vitamin S), then obviously getting the burn more often would be appropriate.

bolt, every day sounds too harsh.  I don't think you'll end-up much stronger for it.  However, if your goal is to lose weight or train for SHTF, then you're probably doing the right thing.  About injury, I've noticed that if I don't stop at the first slightest twinge of "bad" pain, I'll greatly regret it later.  So, pay attention to the pain.  I don't know how to explain it, but sometimes you can just instinctually tell when something isn't right.  When you're tired, you will do something wrong eventually.  Also, if you're getting enough good sleep (I never have due to breathing problems) and not under a lot of stress the rest of the day, then you will be able to keep-up that pace longer.  You getting enough sleep?

About forty years ago, I used to try to get the burn a couple of times a day.  It seems insane now, but I didn't know better.  I was watching guys on Dianabol (I think it was, I didn't ask them) or other tissue drugs, as we called them back then, make progress on doing 5 sets of each exercise [i]twice[/i] a day.  I also heard a doctor say that the burn was from the muscles breaking down, and you couldn't get stronger without that feeling.  We didn't know much back then.  We also didn't drink that much water and worked-out outside in the sun, so dehydration probably made the burn worse.  I learned quickly that my body's response to that is to store fat and shutdown my metabolism to weather the stress rather than to build-up.

[the burn] not in my lungs
View Quote

Agreed.  I've never been able to handle the feeling very well of having someone step on my chest while running.

This summer I probably will feel that unpleasant lung burn a couple of times per week.  I've decided to get back in good shape.  I have to do that or buy all new pants[:)].  I'm a little over 240# at 5'8" now, and I want to lose about 25#.  The summer before I turned 66, I went from 240# down to about 200#.  I wasn't "abs showing" in shape, but I did have a 34" waist (which isn't bad at 200#).  I want to be back in that shape, but I'm dreading it.z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top