Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2002 11:28:29 AM EDT
My fiancee and I (especially her) have a penchant for unhealthy snacks.  However, that is over.  I went to the store and bought broccoli, carrots, celery, cucumber, and tomato.  That and some low-fat dip and we were good to go.  The great thing is that I love this stuff, but I couldn't get her to partake.  That's changing though.

So throw out the additive/preservative/fat/salt/... laden snacks!
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:39:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Not sure how healthy, but here are a few I like:

1.  Tomatos sliced with a [i]little[/i] bit of salt, lots of pepper, some dried oregano, and some dried basil.  Follow up with some [u]very good quality[/u], [b]light[/b] olive oil.

2.  I also like to take sliced tomatos, cucumbers, carrots and cover them with a little salt and lots of pepper.  Makes a great snack.

Where's that damn recipe forum???

Edited to add:  Congrats on the great exam score!!  [beer]

Have you moved yet?
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:04:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#5]
In moderate amounts, roasted & salted peanuts!
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Chimborazo,

Are you trying to replace this forum with your proposed "Recipe forum" [:D]
View Quote

No, why do you ask?  DonR is the one who proposed it.  What makes you think I want one?

[subliminal mode]
[i]AR15.com needs a recipe forum......it's a really good idea......Chimborazo is veeeerrrrryyyy smart.......you must listen to him.....recipe forum......mmmmmmmm, fooooood.....[/i]
[/subliminal mode]

As you can see, I am very clever.  Do not resist my mind control powers, you're only making it more difficult for yourself.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#8]
actually, be careful with peanuts, they are LOADED with fat.

the lay's WOW chips and doritos(especially the doritos!!!) are pretty good, despite all of the rumors about them causing gastro problems.

i found i lost more weight by cutting out pop than anything else. a good alternative is the wal-mart flavored water, that stuff rocks!!!! .58 cents for a half liter too.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
[b]I think what we need is a recipe forum,so that fool can learn to cook.[/b]

.....why am I saying that?
View Quote

I don't know, but let's take that further....relax, take deep breaths, and [b]create the freaking forum!!![/b][:D]

Actually, DonR is the one who started a thread on it, but it was someone else's wife's idea....can't remember who.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:43:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Healthy snacks... can of tuna, small bowl of cottage cheese, protein bar.  The protein lasts longer as an energy source than carbs... most of which are simple carbs.

A lot of the snacks y'all are suggesting are incredibly high in sodium.  Salt is not a bad thing.. you need it if you are working out and sweating a lot... but if you are trying to lose weight, excessive salt in your diet will lead to water retention (as will caffeine and alcohol).  When you retain a ton of water it's harder to see results... a lot of times people get frustrated and will give up when that happens.

I save the veggies, etc, to go with my chicken breast, fish or steak.  Or pork chops.  Mmmmmm.  I love meat.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:52:42 AM EDT
[#12]
iNuhBaDNayburhood,

I have an edit to that...instead of using dried basil, I found finely chooped basil in a jar.  Much better!  To be more specific, it looks like the jars that you find diced or chopped garlic in, and the basil was done basically the same way.  I have only recently become a HUGE fan of basil.

AAAAHHHHHH!!!!  I forgot something that can drastically improve this.  Get some [b]fresh, good quality[/b] mozarella(sp?) and slice it thinly.  Arrange it on the plate with the tomato [i]before[/i] you add the oil, spices, etc.  Damn, I can't believe I forgot that.  This is sure to be loved by the ladies!
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:16:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Adding cheese... plus the oil already in it and it's good eatin' but not so healthy a snack anymore.... [:D]

If you are really interested in "impressing the ladies" with your cooking, bookmark this site [url]www.epicurious.com[/url].  This website has a catalog of all of the Bon Appetit and Gourmet Magazine recipes.  I can't recommend this website enough!  
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:57:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Adding cheese... plus the oil already in it and it's good eatin' but not so healthy a snack anymore.... [:D]
View Quote

What if we cut the salt, add a bottle of wine and a nice long walk after dinner to the recipe?  That's gotta help a little, doesn't it?[:D]

I wonder how much whining I'll have to do before EdAvilaSr or someone else gets sick of it and either bans me or creates a [b][size=3]RECIPE FORUM!!![/size=3][/b]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 1:49:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#17]

I'm not a big fan of veggies.  I usually have a protien shake, banana and a couple fig newtons in b/n meals.  But, I'm trying to put on weight in the form of muscle so my snacking is used to increase my caloric intake.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#18]
"preservative/fat/salt"

sounds good!,lets eat[^]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 12:45:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 1:12:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Munching on carrots (plain) right now.

What's up Doc?
View Quote

McUzi?  Just kidding.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I lift weights a good deal, and I find that a good protien shake is what really hits the spot. To me it is like candy.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I lift weights a good deal, and I find that a good protien shake is what really hits the spot. To me it is like candy.
View Quote

Agreed.

Actually, peanut butter is an ideal snack.  Peanut Butter, served on a single piece of [b]WHOLE[/b] wheat bread or toast, with a no-sugar added preservative, makes a great (and highly filling) snack.

1 spoonful of peanut butter is low-carb (3g.), no-cholesterol, and low-saturated fat (<2g.).  Peanut and cottonseed oil are a good source of low-density monounsaturated fats...which means the 9gr. of fat will appease your appetite, while the 2gr. of saturated fats will fall softly on your gut.  Add toast and preserves, it'll add 10gr. of protein to your diet, while only sacrificing 30gr. of (mostly complex) carbohydrates.  Delicious, nutritious - What more could you want?
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#24]
For me, fresh fruit and veggies are cheap and easy, and involve essentially no preparation.  

In my (humble) opinion, if you're gonna put peanut butter on something, then you might as well add some Nutella too.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Oh man, I love Nutella!!  Haven't had it in years though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I like to eat healthy too. But...have you ever noticed how much more it costs and why??

Man I can pull away from Wendy's with a bag full of grub for like $7.00 to $8.00 bucks that will feed four. I leave the super market with two tomatoes one cantaloupe and a bag of lettuce and I'm easily into $7.00 bucks and can only feed one.

Chili is relatively cheap to make and full of protein. Ask Ilikelegs for his recipe!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top