Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/7/2002 6:39:38 AM EDT
About seven weeks ago I finally found a school where I could study that fits my schedule and teachs forms that I am interested in.... I've been sore, bruised, broke my toe, bloodied my nose, clocked in the head with a stick... and I'm loving it!  [:D]

I'm learning Muay Thai (Thai kickboxing), Kali and Jiu Jitsu.  My coworkers think I'm nuts because I'll work on jab-cross-hook to right elbow-left elbow to foot jab-rear kick, etc, etc combos at work (it's late and the supervisors are gone... LOL).  

What forms do y'all study or are you interested in studying?  
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 6:55:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 7:04:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to do Shotokan, a traditional Japanese Karate.  

I liked it.  No fluff.  No "triple spin back kicks to the temple" like in Tiakwando(sp?).
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 7:12:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I study budo taijutsu.  It's not too common, but it has about everything you could ask for in a practical martial art.  Some things we do look a lot like aikido, but there's much more to it.  We prescribe to the idea that [b]the only dirty fight is the one you lose[/b], so we don't emphasize form for the sake of form.  Good posture and alignment can come in many shapes, and they are highly dependent on the situation.

Regarding coming home blodied & broken from class:  sounds like your training is good!  Much better to be beaten up first among friends.  Keep at it!
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 7:14:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I study Mallninjutsu and Tae Bo. I challenge all of you to a death match. Meet me in the food court at noon.

Fear my Eagle Claw Walkie Talkie Antenna Strike!
Yaaaaah![stick]

[img]http://www.the-snu.co.uk/Piccies/dante.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#5]
shotokan karate.
simple, direct, effective.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh, alright, I'll bite. I've studied Jujitsu and some Tae Kwon Do, with little bits of Shorinji Kempo, Aikido, and Kempo as time allowed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Count Dante da maaaaan!  He so cool he make me crap my pants!
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 8:46:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Miss Magnum, sounds like you stumbled into a JKD school.

I teach at one in NY.  I train in Muay Thai, trained and competed in Westen Kickboxing (Even had a fight air on ESPN2 a few years back), Western Boxing, and on the side I do a little Brazillian Jiu Jitsu, Filipino Kali, but for the most part I'm a stand up type fighter.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 8:50:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I did kenpo kung fu, for a couple of years.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 9:02:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I have been studying in Goju Ryu Karate for two years now through my college. I enjoy it.

A form I would really like to study is Krav Maga, but unfortunately their are no schools that teach it (at least that I have been able to find) here in Washington.

Kyle
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#11]
MM,
You're in the zone, now.  You can't find anything better than Jiu-Jitsu (as a ground art) and Muay Thai (as a standing one).  Personally, I prefer JKD to kickboxing, but they're both wonderful in that they teach you [b]how to fight[/b], not how to do forms.  Don't know a damn thing about Kali, but I can attest to the effectiveness of the others.

That's a pretty tough schedule you're taking, so if you are ever in the situation where you can only choose one, my premier recomendation would be Jun Fan.  A combination of Wing Chun striking, kickboxing, (light) Jiu-Jitsu, and weapons.  Not a big weapons person, never was very good with them, but great techniques to know if you aren't carrying concealed and need a "random object" in a street fight.  Nevertheless, if you can stick with them, stay with Muay Thai, and [b]Don't Drop Jiu-Jitsu[/b].  I can't stress enough how most fights start standing for an average of 15 seconds before they go TO THE GROUND.  Keep it up, you'll be in great condition cardiovascularly in no time, and able to handle yourself pound-for-pound against any ne'er-do-well who would think to mess with you.

Quoted:
Count Dante da maaaaan!  He so cool he make me crap my pants!
View Quote

Would you say he...makes the Baby Jesus cry?
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I study budo taijutsu.  It's not too common, but it has about everything you could ask for in a practical martial art.  Some things we do look a lot like aikido, but there's much more to it.  We prescribe to the idea that [b]the only dirty fight is the one you lose[/b], so we don't emphasize form for the sake of form.  
View Quote

Don't take this the wrong way. But the reason budo taijutsu is not common is that it is not really a traditional style. Even the name is a generic catagory, and not a style.

Budo, meaing "martial way" defines a post Meiji classification, Bujutsu (and more correctly Koryu Bujutsu) referes to a pre Meiji method. However Budo is generally used to refer to "Martial Art." Taijutsu roughly translates to "physical technique or method." So the most correct English derivation is "Martial Arts Exercise" or "Martial Arts Technique." Hardly a style.

There are two prominent groups claiming domain on Budo Taijutsu. One is the "Ninjutsu" group headed by Masaaki Hatsumi. They chose this name to separate themselves from Stephen Hayes group who practice under the name Togakure Ryu Ninjutsu. Interesting enough Hatsumi was Hayes teacher and gave Hayes permission to represent the style Togakure Ryu. He was then forced to disassociate from it due to Hayes commercialization of the name Togakure Ryu.

The other Budo Taijutsu group is a American Eclectic style that seemingly chose the name at random. They have no roots beyond that of their current founder and no real tradition. The validity of the founder is in doubt.

Given your descriptions is sounds as if you practice the Ninpo method. And you may know this, it is most correctly Seito Togakure Ryu. It is the catalog of the existing Ninpo style, especially the Ryuha of Iga and Koga, as they were transmitted to Hatsumi.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 4:59:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

First let me say that I believe women are best suited for the kicking arts, since kicking rely on hip movements and overall lower power. Most women lack upper strength, and more suited to kicking.

To answer your question:

Arnis, Shaolin Kempo, Sil Lum, Choy Li Fut and Wing Chun in H.S. Not all at once. I moved around different styles in the 4 yrs. The only constant is Arnis.

Tae Kwon Do in the military and reached a 1st degree black. Also took Ying Jow Pai(Eagle Claw Kung Fu) for about a year on top my Tae Kwon Do classes.

Shaolin Kempo again took and taught. Have a 2nd degree black belt in that.

Have not done any type of training since I moved to TX though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 5:25:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Don't take this the wrong way. But the reason budo taijutsu is not common is that it is not really a traditional style. Even the name is a generic catagory, and not a style.
View Quote

No offense taken; that's one of the things that make it so great (IMHO).  With 9 ryuha to draw from, there's a near-infinite variety of things to study.  This year most the emphasis has been on Takagi Yoshin Ryu, pretty cool stuff (mostly starting from the ground).

Given your descriptions is sounds as if you practice the Ninpo method. And you may know this, it is most correctly Seito Togakure Ryu. It is the catalog of the existing Ninpo style, especially the Ryuha of Iga and Koga, as they were transmitted to Hatsumi.
View Quote

Yep, Bujinkan all the way!  I just didn't want to break out the "Ninja" word, lest anyone think I was presuming to elevate myself to the sacred level of "Mall Ninja".  [;)]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 5:40:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I started with Goju-ryu,in 1969, then some judo and kendo, added Hoboken street fighting then later when I opened my school studied Juijitsu, JKD, Kali, Modern Arnis, Mauy Thai.
My Wife trained in TKD, in 1985, then Judo, now I am training her in Juijitsu. We own and operate a Juijitsu School.
Good Luck and have fun Miss Magnum!
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 5:41:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I have been studying American Kenpo, the style developed by Mr. Ed Parker, Sr., for 6 years; I hopefully will be receiving my 3rd degree Brown belt before the end of the year. I like the style because it allows you to adjust the techniques based on your own physical abilities, rather than trying to force you to perform the technique in a manner which you may not be physically capable. That is especially helpful for people who may not be in the absolute best of shape, or people who are older and not as flexible. But there is still an emphasis on practical use of the techniques, and we do have sparring sessions regularly; it is controlled and protected, but we are required to fight hard.
I have come to the realization that the BEST martial art to train with is the one that suits the individual the best, and that they enjoy doing. Good luck in your training---make sure that your male classmates know that you can be as tough and "hard core" as them.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 5:48:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh, what the heck.  I have a 10th degree black belt in BeerKanTe.  This art is based on using empty beer kans as weapons.  We also practice with two full beer kans connected with a short length of chain.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:40:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We also practice with two full beer kans connected with a short length of chain.  [:D]
View Quote

Ah, the dreaded Budchaku. [:)]

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:49:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Ishinryu Karate for a zillion years.
Jujitsu till I broke my tail bone during practice
Aikido - a little
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:19:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Kyokyushinkai (Mas Oyama system) for many years, some Shorinji Kempo.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:29:10 AM EDT
[#21]
I studied Ki Aikido until I screwed up a rotator cuff.  Aikido is a facinating martial art, but from a practical standpoint it's useless until you reach about 3rd dan, then it's suddenly very effective.  Probably the same is true to a lesser or greater degree for most other arts.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:59:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Tae Kwon Do for 12 years.

Also studied Ninpo Taijutsu under Shawn Havens who studied under Hatsumi Sensei.

Some Tai Chi, Pa Kua and Hsing I soft style Kung Fu

Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I study the most important style of martial art Fut Chew.

Your mind is the best form of self defense.  

Running from a fight is wisest.

I have studied karate as a child, unstructured submission wrestling and boxing as an adult.  I blend the three into my own eclectic "style," if you will.      

Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#24]
"running away" or "fleeing" aren't the best ways to eplain how to avoid confrontation.  It has to do with the whole "Predator v Prey" senario.  Whaen you are fighting for your life, you don't want to go into a "prey" mentality.  Running away from an aggressor puts you in the wrong frame of mind for combat/self defence.  When you meet up with a possiblely hostile situation, you want to be like 2 lions meeting up, sizing each other up and seeing that Yes you may win, but it may also cause you a life threatening injury so it's not worth it.

That's my main beef with "self defence" programs.  They take a group of women and tell them to kick to the groin, rake the eyes, drive their heels into their attackers foot and run, and everything will be alright.  It doesn't work that way in real life.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
"running away" or "fleeing" aren't the best ways to eplain how to avoid confrontation.  It has to do with the whole "Predator v Prey" senario.  Whaen you are fighting for your life, you don't want to go into a "prey" mentality.  Running away from an aggressor puts you in the wrong frame of mind for combat/self defence.  When you meet up with a possiblely hostile situation, you want to be like 2 lions meeting up, sizing each other up and seeing that Yes you may win, but it may also cause you a life threatening injury so it's not worth it.

That's my main beef with "self defence" programs.  They take a group of women and tell them to kick to the groin, rake the eyes, drive their heels into their attackers foot and run, and everything will be alright.  It doesn't work that way in real life.
View Quote

You must access the situation.

If someone has a motive to fight you, like robbery, rape, etc. chances are they will have an advantage.  They will have a weapon, greater strength or accomplices.

For the above reasons if you can flee DO IT.  If you can't, fight it out and take your chances.  Fight as a last resort, looking for a way out during it.  

Always look for a way out.

To not ruin the topic that is all I have.

Link Posted: 5/10/2002 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I agree with Nekkid80. My karate teacher (4th degree Black belt) often tells us that the best strategy to follow is to [b]AVOID[/b] a fight [b]IF POSSIBLE[/b]; in other words, you need to evaluate the situation and decide if getting into a physical confrontation is worth it. If some drunk is just being obnoxious and bad-mouthing you, you would be better served to avoid the confrontation, unless he decides to become violent. However, if you are in a situation where you certainly are in physical or mortal danger, then you should be prepared to fight, and fight until your adversary is no longer a threat, or you have the opportunity to get away without the threat coming after you. What the movies show, where the kungfu/karate expert can take on 25 guys at once, is obviously not realistic. If you read the book "The Journey", which has the biographies of several notable American Kenpo practitioners, you will read under Jeff Speakman's biography about how he got out of a fight with 4 bikers...he hit the closest one and headed out the door! Sometimes, a well-executed retreat is better than trying to fight when the odds are stacked against you. But, if retreating is NOT an option, then it's best to have the attitude of "If I'm going down, then I'm going to take a few of you with me!"    
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Vinnie.. you're right... it is a JKD school.  [:D]  Who do you study under for Muay Thai?  I just had the opportunity to attend a seminar by Master Chai (my instructor's instructor).  Having only been in this for about 6 weeks, I was given a quick one day lesson on elbows and up-knees so I wouldn't struggle so much in class.  Kind of funny situation though.... Master Chai had us doing rounds of 5 rear kicks, 10 skip knees followed by another 5 rear kicks.  I looked at the woman holding for me and said, "Um, I've never learned skip knees."  She said, "Remember the Roger Rabbit from the 80's?  Do that."  I laughed my butt off over that because it worked!  [:D]

Jewbroni,

Jiu Jitsu was what first attracted me to this school.  Unfortunately, I can only attend one class a week.  On the good side, I have a friend who is a blue belt who rolls with me from time to time and has no qualms in making me tap out.... LOL
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm a shodan in Hokku-Ryu (Traditional Japanese, Not the Brailian form of) Jiu-Jitsu
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
On the good side, I have a friend who is a blue belt who rolls with me from time to time and has no qualms in making me tap out.... LOL
View Quote

If all you're doing is practicing Upper 4-Corners ("69") and standard Mounts, then it's [b]NOT[/b] JiuJitsu!  Quit paying the guy, he's just a gigalo in a Gi!
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Vinnie.. you're right... it is a JKD school.  [:D]  Who do you study under for Muay Thai?  I just had the opportunity to attend a seminar by Master Chai (my instructor's instructor).  Having only been in this for about 6 weeks, I was given a quick one day lesson on elbows and up-knees so I wouldn't struggle so much in class.  Kind of funny situation though.... Master Chai had us doing rounds of 5 rear kicks, 10 skip knees followed by another 5 rear kicks.  I looked at the woman holding for me and said, "Um, I've never learned skip knees."  She said, "Remember the Roger Rabbit from the 80's?  Do that."  I laughed my butt off over that because it worked!  [:D]

Jewbroni,

Jiu Jitsu was what first attracted me to this school.  Unfortunately, I can only attend one class a week.  On the good side, I have a friend who is a blue belt who rolls with me from time to time and has no qualms in making me tap out.... LOL
View Quote

Ah, an Inosanto affiliate school.  I've study with Phil Nurse in NY.  As far as the skip knees, I usually tell people to do the "Running Man."  I think Seminars are great for "meeting the great ones" and hearing stories.  They go buy too quickly to learn more that one or two new things.  One of the girls that trains here goes to the Chai Thai camp in the summertime.  She said it was great.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Seminars are very good to expose you to different ideas. I was tt one with Inosanto, at 5pm most of the people wanted to go home. At 8pm the rest of us stopped, it was the best part, he can go on and on. A real dedicated guy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
About seven weeks ago I finally found a school where I could study that fits my schedule and teachs forms that I am interested in.... I've been sore, bruised, broke my toe, bloodied my nose, clocked in the head with a stick... and I'm loving it!  [:D]

I'm learning Muay Thai (Thai kickboxing), Kali and Jiu Jitsu.  My coworkers think I'm nuts because I'll work on jab-cross-hook to right elbow-left elbow to foot jab-rear kick, etc, etc combos at work (it's late and the supervisors are gone... LOL).  

View Quote

Nice... I took Oki Ryu Kenpo for a couple years, unfortunately I had to stop when we moved out to the Seattle area.  We sure had some killer workouts in that class, I was in damn good shape.  A couple times I almost passed out from exhaustion.  Anybody ever have that feeling, where everything starts going black and all you can see is this small dot in front of you, and you just concentrate on that as hard as you can and stay concious.  I was always afraid of breaking a toe, seems like that would hurt something awful. heh.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Seminars are very good to expose you to different ideas. I was tt one with Inosanto, at 5pm most of the people wanted to go home. At 8pm the rest of us stopped, it was the best part, he can go on and on. A real dedicated guy.
View Quote

Dan has great seminars, he's such a personable guy.  I love how he goes from really slow gear to something you expect from a ninja turtle.  He also has great Bruce Lee stories.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm a shodan in Hokku-Ryu (Traditional Japanese, Not the Brailian form of) Jiu-Jitsu
View Quote

Hate to do this to a yudansha, especially waverunner, but it is Hakko Ryu and the accepted current romanization is Ju Jutsu.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 5:03:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
...the accepted current romanization is Ju Jutsu.
View Quote

I understand from your posts that you are well-versed in martial arts but Ju Jutsu and Jiu Jitsu are BOTH acceptable.

Do you just live for moments to antagonize people??  [:p]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 7:54:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Hate to do this to a yudansha, especially waverunner, but it is Hakko Ryu and the accepted current romanization is Ju Jutsu.
View Quote

Well you knew what I meant right? Mission Accomplished[:)]

I know this Jewish dentist that is also a Black Belt in my dojo...he spells it Jew Jitsu!
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I understand from your posts that you are well-versed in martial arts but Ju Jutsu and Jiu Jitsu are BOTH acceptable.

View Quote

Actually SteyrAUG has a point.  It wasn't coined Jiu Jitsu until the Brazillians got their hands on it, but then again they pronounced their R like H's.[:D]  Up until then it was JuJitsu which was bastardized from Jujutsu.  Same with Ninjitsu.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I only live to antagonize YOU baby.

Actually this comes from being extremely anal retentive and reading and writing Japanese. I am a romanization nazi, especially as it applies to martial arts.

As far as "Jiu Jitsu" being acceptable, my main objection is odd romanizations are primarily used by splinter groups who have broken from their parent ryu for political reasons.

Also keep in mind "Tokio" was once acceptable, look at any WW2 map of Japan, but not in accepted use currently.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I normally avoid these threads like the plague, because they always seem to turn out like "my art is best!"  But so far this one is going OK...

Kajukenbo-- "Wun Hop Kuen Do" style
Jiu Jitsu-- Brazilian
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#40]
A "bit" of Shotokan (25 yrs) and "some" Aikido.
I am happy to still have room in my teacup...
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A "bit" of Shotokan (25 yrs) and "some" Aikido.
I am happy to still have room in my teacup...
View Quote

Somebody read Zen In The Martial Arts...
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 5:18:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Actually this comes from being extremely anal...
View Quote

Well that would be the best way to antagonize me..... [}:D]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 6:19:04 AM EDT
[#43]
"Dan has great seminars, he's such a personable guy. I love how he goes from really slow gear to something you expect from a ninja turtle. He also has great Bruce Lee stories."

Yes he does, I had called Larry Hartsell on the phone about a question on JKD. He was another of Lee's students. We spent an hour on swapping when we first started stories. It was just guys working out stories, you never see that side of anyone like Lee or Danny.

As for Hakku or Hokku, I have seen it both ways. There is no perfect translation to English. Same as Jujitsu or Juijitsu, or for the matter of fact, we prefer Hebrew-Jitsu over Jew-Jitsu.

As for Waverunner, we should hook up sometime. I teach a form of Juijitsu, I severed my Japanese connection but still maintain the training and teaching. When you get down to it Juijitsu is just how they fight over there. Like a Generic term, Boxing, it is different from coach to coach.

We often put too much mysticism in the art aspect. I use Martial Skills rather than Martial Arts. No Art here, just me and an a$$hole, and I am going home. Dan summed it up with you pay respect to those you learned from.

Rant out
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Wing Chun.

A word about ground fighting.
It doesn't work against more than one attacker.

I like Wing Chun and other forms that focus on the "centerline", and close-in fighting.
For me it feels like common sense fighting.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 11:24:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually this comes from being extremely anal...
View Quote

Well that would be the best way to antagonize me..... [}:D]
View Quote

You really need to quit with the verbal foreplay, this is a serious topic. And for somone NOT into Greek methods you seem to bring the topic up quit a bit. Besides it is difficult to discuss combat arts with a stiffy.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#46]
I would like to study Ninpo.

I never seam to make the leap.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Man,everything with you has sexual overtones!

Either you were not breast fed as a baby,or you are chronically sexually repressed(ie.horny)[:D]
View Quote

Hey, she started it...[:D]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#49]
I start it.

I finish it.

I'm versatile that way.... [:D]

Link Posted: 5/12/2002 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I start it.

I finish it.

I'm versatile that way.... [:D]

View Quote

Hey if we are gonna talk dirty, we should really take it over to the lodge. Or at least wait until chatroom time...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top