Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2002 5:25:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Not real sure, but has something to do w/ preventing the progression of arthritis.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Glucosamine HCL is a naturally occurring compound that is a combination of a glutamine derivative and glucose. Glucosamine is an integral part of all connective tissue in the body including cartilage, ligaments, and tendons. It also helps people with arthritis. It is commonly mistaken with Glutamine.

When used in BodyBuilding (Glutamine) helps speed up muscle recovery after a punishing work out. If creatine is also being used they should be taken separately to avoid wasting your supplements. Creatine before work-outs Glutamine after. Other wise they will compete for the same receptors.

JerrY

Link Posted: 5/6/2002 4:37:17 AM EDT
[#3]
It usually comes in pill form mixed with chondroitin. Together, they were touted as an aid to arthritis pain in a book entitled "The Arthritis Cure". In some cases it lead to the regeneration of cartilage in the knee.

I used it for a few months and found it to be helpful for my own chronic knee arthritis, but it was expensive so I had to stop taking it. I may try it again in the future.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 6:15:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:33:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Had rotator cuff surgery a few years ago and when I take it there is less pain and more mobility in the shoulder.  Get it at Sam's club, it's cheaper there.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Are there any side effects associated with prolonged use of glucosamine and chondroitin supplements?
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 11:21:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I had Lyme disease a few years ago which causes arthritis, and I started having a lot of problems with it. I started taking Glucosemine about 2 years ago and the pain is gone! Also my flexability has improved a lot. As Ed said it takes about 2 months to really notice a difference. As far as I'm concerned this stuff is great!
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a chronically painful old joint injury(in my hand) received at least 15 years earlier during ski training while stationed at Fort Wainwright, AK.  Two months after starting the recommended initial dosage rate I couldn't even tell you anymore for absolutely sure which hand it was.   [:D]    
I take it religiously now at a lower maintenance dosage for general joint health purposes, and I seem to recover quicker from sprains, etc.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had a chronically painful old joint injury(in my hand) received at least 15 years earlier during ski training while stationed at Fort Wainwright, AK.  Two months after starting the recommended initial dosage rate I couldn't even tell you anymore for absolutely sure which hand it was.   [:D]    
I take it religiously now at a lower maintenance dosage for general joint health purposes, and I seem to recover quicker from sprains, etc.  
View Quote

Radboy223,  

What brand are you taking and what is the dosage ?
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#11]
This stuff better work... I just spent $24 at Sam's Club for a four month supply. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Can anymone tell me how much of this stuff you are supposed to take ? How many times a day ?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:05:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:11:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Just wanted to add my .02.

I started taking it about 3 months ago after a serious knee injury.  Nothing was really helping the pain unless I took prescription meds, which I strongly hesitate to do.

My knee now feels better than it has in five or six years, and I am taking nothing for it other than the glucosamine/chondroiton combo.  I was very skeptical at first, but now I am definitely a believer.  I can actually use my treadmill on a normal basis again (on my light lifting days):)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top