Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2002 4:54:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I gave up running and started swimming when mine started to go south on me. If you don’t have access to a pool or lake try running on sand, harder on your calves, but I would think it would have less impact on your knees.

Usual disclaimer IANAD check with yours first.

good luck
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Pain is the body's way of saying "something is jacked up".

Don't try to numb the pain and exercise.

Go see a doctor and see about surgery to fix the problem.

Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:05:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#5]
DF, swimming is MUCH better than running. It works more muscles, and provides a better cardio workout.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 5:57:33 AM EDT
[#7]
There are some great benifits to swimming over running, and not much in the way of detractors.  You're working against resistance, by pushing against the water.  There isn't any impact, like there is running.  Also the water cools you off, so you don't get all sweaty and nasty like running (with the added benifit of not overheating and getting heat stroke).

If you still think running is the way to go for you, go run in the pool!  Try that for a few laps!  Damn!  The resistance of the water is pretty fierce.  If you want to increase your strength running, do it in the pool.  That way you're not carrying extra weight and pounding those knees, or trying to run up hills (actually up's not bad, but down really impacts hard).

Ross
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 6:32:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Specifically, knees.  Patella on both knees has dislocated multiple times.  When the weather is right, walking is difficult and painful.  Is there anything I can do to reduce the pain so I can start running again?
View Quote

Hey man, I hate doctors.  I went for years with knee and shoulder pain, and just finally went to see a doctor (I would just give it "rest" and of course when I stopped resting, the problem came back).  I am now undergoing physical therapy to correct a rotator cuff problem, and I'll probably get surgery to fix a tendon problem in my knee.  I think when this is all over with I'll be back to my good ol' self.  I would see a doc and see what he can do.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
DF, swimming is NUCH better than running. It works more muscles, and provides a better cardio workout.
View Quote
I will assume you mean "much".[;D]  I have never been an athletic person, so I would like to know what kind of warmup/cooldown processes I should use when I go to the pool.  I don't have a very large pool at my disposal, but it should be big enough.
View Quote

Swimming laps can be boring, but it is possible to do mental things while doing them. Start slow so you don't over exert and drown [:)]. But do it regularly and you will be surprised how fast you improve. I happen to love to swim. Last place I lived had relatively small pool. Took something like 120 laps to swim a mile. After a few months I was swimming a mile 3, sometimes 4 times a week, and doing it in about 45-50 minutes (btw, I was smoking a pack a day at the time also). I have a bad shoulder and like you, two bad knees (mychondrolaysia). Swimming is about the only "strenuous" excersize I can do that does not stress the joints and is an excellent cardio work out.

But go see a doctor and then find a really good Physical Therapist - don't be afraid to ask them for references from patients. I am lucky in that one of my sisters is one. My knees are not operable for the problem and not ready for replacement. She gave me some excersizes to do for them that really work to almost eliminate the pain (as long as I stick to doing them).
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#11]
The only drawback I can think of to swimming relates to if you are doing it to lose weight...then running is better.  Has something to do with the thermal properties of water.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh yeah, and if you cramp you can die.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Check out the Glucosemine thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top