Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2011 10:22:09 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a bicycle trainer due to the inclement weather, I really can't bike as much as I would like.  I was wondering if anybody has any good advice on which ones you use.  The quieter the better.  I'm leaning away from wind resistant trainers just because of the noise.  Any brands I should look at or stay away from?  Any input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 2:09:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Cycle-ops fluid trainer and love it.  It is quieter than wind trainers.
Cycle-ops website
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 2:13:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Kurt Kinetic Road Machine http://www.kurtkinetic.com/.

I do a lot of riding indoors.  I have a CycleOps Fluid 2 and a KK Road Machine (with the extra 12 lb flywheel).  The KK gathers sweat, the CycleOps gathers dust.  The KK is superior in every way - heavier flywheel, the fluid chamber is far more leak-resistant, the base is wider and sturdier.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 4:14:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I do a lot of riding indoors.  I have a CycleOps Fluid 2 and a KK Road Machine (with the extra 12 lb flywheel).  The KK gathers sweat, the CycleOps gathers dust.  The KK is superior in every way - heavier flywheel, the fluid chamber is far more leak-resistant, the base is wider and sturdier.

+1 on the Road Machine. Also has a great warranty and is built like a tank. I love mine but would like to try the Rock and Roll.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 5:11:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 6:52:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Blackburn tech fluid trainer or some such. I am not all that thrilled with it. Its the only trainer Ive ever had. I purchased it over the mag trainer since its supposed to be quieter but when doing my HIIT around the 12 min mark when I start sprinting it starts sort of vibrating and gets really hard to pedal. I can not recommend it at all. Maybe I just don't know wtf I'm doing but it works perfectly for the first 10 mins or so.

Edit: I haven't had it very long. I bought it just before Christmas so mid Dec.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I love mine but would like to try the Rock and Roll.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Freakishly huge base.  I'd go with rollers (possibly with a resistance unit) if you need to feel your bike move underneath you.

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 10:48:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a Cycle-ops fluid trainer and love it.  It is quieter than wind trainers.
Cycle-ops website

I was looking at those, they seem pretty nice.  The quieter the better.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a Cycle-ops mag plus.  It was really loud, IMO, and it wasn't a pleasant noise either.  I had to wear a pair of ear plugs and put the closed captions on the TV.  Sold it on Craigslist.  If I ever do it again, I'll try a fluid trainer.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 9:04:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had a Kurt Kinetic for years.  Many many hours on it and zero complaints.  My girlfriend has a CycleOps and it'll get the job done, but I prefer the KK.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

+1

Visit the various cycling forums, and you'll see it's the Glock of the trainer world.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a cycle ops mag trainer....but if I to ride at home its on Travel Trac rollers that came from Performance that I got off Craigslist.

In the garage with the radio on and the door open for something to look at, a good way to spend 30-45 minutes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top