Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2010 7:16:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I would think that you should find one for around $50-$75 per month. Many places offer family rates, so it shouldn't be
full price to add your daughter.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Some folks around here call it "Take my dough".....My daugter will be a ten year old black belt next summer (if her head stays in the game). Worth the $100 bucks a month to me.

($100 includes Leadership classes, and an extra day of one on one black belt training a month)

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#4]
It's hard to comparison shop dojos.

Different skill levels of instructors, different opportunities for classes (can I attend one class a week at a set time or do I have my choice of 6 different classes) different class sizes and what national/international organizations the dojo belongs to (which can effect insurance and what tournaments you can compete in) all effect pricing. Be careful not to end up comparing apples to oranges.

You also need to watch out for other fees. Many dojos have belt fees that you have to pay everytime you test. Some of these dojos have MANY belts and do things like yellow belt- orange tip, then yellow belt - purple tip, etc. with each belt having a test and a fee. Some of these are doing this as a way to make more money off the student. Others are doing it because if they don't have advancements all the time, then there students don't see progress and quit. They charge to offset the hassle of doing the extra advancements. On the other extreme I've seen some dojos that charge you a non-refundable flat rate up front  that covers every class until you reach black belt no matter how long it takes. Of course, if you drop out (as many do) you don't get your money back.

I've taken classes for free (either because the instructor did it as a hobby and for the love of the art or because I helped out at the dojo) and I've taken classes for cheap (an aikido club that used the fees to pay the rent for the room) and I've paid $50 a week for 1/2 hour of private instruction.

I know I haven't really answered your question, but I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Is this an ATA dojo?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this an ATA dojo?

Not sure.  

Here's his bio from their yellow pages ad:

Meet Master Kwon:  

• 7th-degree Black Belt  

• 14-time Korean National Champion (1970-1980)  

• Undefeated Mexican Grand Champion (1982)  

• International Referee  

• Chief Counselor for Young Korean-Americans  

• U.S. Olympic Tournament Organizing Committee  

• Hall of Fame Master-of-Year (1998)  

• Conducted 14th World Championship at Madison Square Garden in New York City  

• Conducted 1st through 5th U.S. Open Championship at Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs  

• Conducted National Championship, 1994 through 1998  

• Outstanding Master Award from World Tae Kwon Do Federation (1986)  

Master Kwon is the Master in his field. You will admire and respect him for his grace, humility and insight. He is truly a special teacher and you will come away from his course with a new respect of his skill, your abilities, and depth of soul.

You will love the large rooms, mirror wall and padded floor. Our location is new, clean and conveniently located for lunch, shopping or a movie ¿ stop in today to meet Master Kwon. Talk to him, take a tour, and schedule a class. You will be glad you did.

That sounds like tournament-style TKD.  

My son is involved in traditional TKD, which is self-defense oriented.  He's a brown belt at age 10.  He has 3 more belts to go before he can test for black, and his instructor is not easy on kids (it took 3.5 years to get to brown).

We pay $40/month for him to go, and class is 3days/week.  The TKD is his instructor's second job.  His primary job is at the local correctional facility where he teaches hand-to-hand combat to the guards and is on the special response team (breaks up riots, etc.).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top