Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2010 2:05:02 PM EDT
I need to get back to the gym to do weight training again. However, after calculating the "discounted" fees which come out to well over $300/year, the crowded location and conflict with the bus schedule, I'm debating if it's a good idea or not. Is it possible to have a compact setup in an apartment that will encompass most of what I need to work the major muscle groups? I already have a pull-up bar. Maybe a flat/incline bench with various plates and bars? What about things like the Bowflex?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#1]
What floor are you on?

If you are on the first floor, and you have the time to watch craigslist, you could buy a power rack and some plates and a bench and be able to do a lot of stuff.  Of course, you would need somewhere that had hardwood floors or vinyl floors or something.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What floor are you on?

If you are on the first floor, and you have the time to watch craigslist, you could buy a power rack and some plates and a bench and be able to do a lot of stuff.  Of course, you would need somewhere that had hardwood floors or vinyl floors or something.

Unfortunately I'm on the second floor. How effective are things like the Bowflex? No machine can replace a full gym, but can it at least replace the typical bench exercises? I already see some on craigslist for only a few hundred dollars...
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What floor are you on?

Unfortunately I'm on the second floor. How effective are things like the Bowflex? No machine can replace a full gym, but can it at least replace the typical bench exercises? I already see some on craigslist for only a few hundred dollars...

Pretty sure you answered your own question there in red.  If they would be good, why would they be going for a fraction of their original cost.

I guess it's better than nothing, but having never used one I'm not sure.  I know I'm not a fan of them.

How about something like a kettlebell, jump rope, sandbags or something of the like, and do some crossfit workouts outside?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How about something like a kettlebell, jump rope, sandbags or something of the like, and do some crossfit workouts outside?

Good point, though I'm betting a number of those sellers caught the lazy bug. Anyone here used/have a Bowflex?

That's what I'm leaning towards. Pull up bar, pushups and some free weights/improvised weights might be my best bet.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a pull-up bar and a set of powerblocks. They work for every resistance exercise I do.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#6]
You are not going to build big mass with a Bowflex or lose tons of weight as they claim but it is a good tool for keeping in shape or getting in better shape without bulking up. Combine it with some cardio and a good diet and you can lose some weight and firm up but you aren't going to become a weight lifter from it.
I still use mine along with some weights and other excercises. It depends on what your goals are.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point, though I'm betting a number of those sellers caught the lazy bug. Anyone here used/have a Bowflex?

That's what I'm leaning towards. Pull up bar, pushups and some free weights/improvised weights might be my best bet.

Had a Bowflex.  Sold it.  If you are interested in strength, there is no substitute for your body weight and other heavy slugs of metal or sand/water/whatever.

As above, the Bowflex is good for keeping a shape or improving on a slack one, but if I were really limited on space I would look at dumbbells, maybe the stacking kind.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#8]
How much space do you have?  I used to live in a 2nd floor apt with around 400 sqft and I kept a bench, barbell/plates and adjustable rack in the smaller room.  You can compress the stuff when you're done and drag it out when you're going to use it. It was a little obtrusive, but worth it to me.  I was able to do most of the major exercises, bench press, squat, deadlift, pendlay rows.  Had a pullup bar that hooked into the doorframe as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:43:55 AM EDT
[#9]
By combining body weight exercises with dumbbells or resistance bands you can hit everything. The bowflex won't be as effective and will take up a lot of room. Since you probably don't have a lot of room an adjustable dumbbell set would probably work best for you. If you don't want to spend that much money a set of resistance bands work just about as good and cost a fraction of the price. Youtube has plenty of circuits that will get you started.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Kettlebells, "Iron Gym", Jump Rope

I lived in a tiny 1br apartment after my divorce and those 3 things provided an effective  total body workout in my living room.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#11]
With bands, some weights, a pull up bar, and about 12x12 room you can do a bunch.  

It can be done.  If you want to save money, check craigslist for weights and a press.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#12]
The hard part is keeping the workout fresh in such a small area. Depending on how limited the space is the confined area can make it tough to keep working out.

That's been my experience at least. I go to a gym.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top