Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2001 8:34:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Will your plans for next weekend include getting the e-mail list back up?

Thanks for all your efforts!!!

rambo
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#2]
While you are resting at some time, it might be a good idea to post on the AK board to dispell rumors about the AR board.

Some members there have posted such, but others have expressed concern and misunderstanding.

Obviously there is some common ground between the board members and some are members of both (myself included).

Just a thought. [:)]
Link Posted: 2/6/2001 7:07:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Goatboy--where is the server located?  I am in the Washington DC area, and familiar with Sun hardware if that helps.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 2/6/2001 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the update, Goatboy.  Will you be removing the port 1111 requirement when the old server is offline?
Link Posted: 2/7/2001 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/7/2001 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Does this also mean Ed wants to migrate AR15.com and this forum to the new server. Meaning abandoning the UBB system for this one. Or will he repair the UBB forum and leave this one be as a beta site.

Kuiper
Link Posted: 2/8/2001 2:41:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for all of the work ya'll do on this thing.

But since this little situation seems to happen a few times a year (and the travel thing forlyou guys is always an issue), why don't you move your operation closer to home while you are at it???

Not only does this site provide general enjoyment for it's members, but quite a bit of commerce happens on this site too. (in case you haven't noticed)

Some folks have grown dependant on this resource as a means of making money, friends, intelligent decisions, etc.

I guess this site is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Keep the synergy flowing fellas, make it easier to maintain the site.  Easier is better for you and for the members!

Thanks again for all you do.

JDP
Link Posted: 2/8/2001 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish to say three things:

1. I am greatful for AR15.com and the time I have spent here has been enjoyable not to mention free to me. If it is never back up, I am not out a dime and in fact still owe the people responsible for it a debt of gratitude. For that reason it should be clear that what I am about to say is not a complaint. I have no right to complain if it never hits another lick. I would describe my other remrks as simply observations.

2. I cannot imagine that a situation would exist that would result in a server being at so remote a location that the administrators cannot get to it in 8 hours (i.e. as soon as they get off work and go home) and the notion that they can't reach it for weeks is unimagineable. I just do not understand!

3. All the times that AR15.com has been off line, I have never read an explanation until right now. I view that as being disrespectful to the members who support the forum and deserve some sort of explanation out of courtesy alone. Manners dictate such an explanation to your guests.

3. (who said I could count). Thank you goatboy for keeping those of us who found this alternate sight apprised of the plan and progress.

PigPen
Link Posted: 2/9/2001 6:01:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/9/2001 7:34:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Goatboy,
Thanks a million. You da man!
[:)]
Lynn
Link Posted: 2/10/2001 8:03:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks alot for this board, I really appreciate it!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2001 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Hi Again Goatboy,

Thanks for taking the time to maintain this site for us all.

But I am sure that you will agree that when a site goes down, it's a pain in the butt for a bunch of folks (especially you).

I was telling my brother (who is the Senior Webmaster/Computer Engineer at Go.com, a Disney subsidary) about this little problem that keeps occurring.  He said he would be happy to offer some technical advice to address the issues that have been happening. This includes hardware, site design, bandwith utilization, etc.  

He does not want to step on any toes or give the impression that he is god's-gift to technology, but he likes the site too and wants to see it flourish.  Again, the site is greater than the sum of it's parts....

Let me know if you are interested in some help.

Good luck
JDP
Link Posted: 2/10/2001 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Kudos Goatboy.

I have learned alot from this site and it's member's [:)] Not to mention some of the good deals I have got from the "On Sale" area!

Again, Thanks for all your time and efforts! [:D]
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top