Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2008 3:01:47 PM EDT
I have an old shotgun that I think my great Grandfather it has not marking on it but its and old hammer shotgun but it does not have the hammers or the firing pins for it. I'd like to know if there is any place out there that might sell the hammers for this shotgun so I can restore it. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 6:32:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArimoDave] [#1]
Without the make and model, that is going to be tough.

The best place for parts is Numrich gun parts.  If they do not have the parts, the only way to get them is to have them fabricated.  This would  likely be too expensive to have done professionally.  If you are good with your hands, and can figure out what the parts should look like, then your best option is to make the parts yourself.  Firing pins should be made from oil hardening drill rod that is quenched and tempered after shapeing.  Hammers can be made from Medium carbon steel, or you can case harden mild steel after shaping too.

Find pictures of the parts (Numirich might have some) on similar guns to yours for examples if you have to make them from scratch.

An old gun like that likely has damascus barrels and should not be shot.  Doing so with modern shotshells is liable to cause a blow-up.  Restoring it as a wall hanger, might be worth the effort, however.

Something to look for in identifying the gun is to look on the bottom of the barrels.  Most old shotguns have proofmarks punched here.  Remove the forend, break the gun and the barrels should separate from the receiver.  Also the manufacturer might be stamped here or on the water-table of the receiver (The flat part at 90 degrees to the receiver face).

The proof marks can be researched to find out who made it, or at least its county of origin.  Guns made in the U.S have proof marks that are specific to the maker.  Most foreign guns have state controlled proving houses and the marks correspond to the country.

Link Posted: 10/12/2008 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By ArimoDave:
Without the make and model, that is going to be tough.

The best place for parts is Numrich gun parts.  If they do not have the parts, the only way to get them is to have them fabricated.  This would  likely be too expensive to have done professionally.  If you are good with your hands, and can figure out what the parts should look like, then your best option is to make the parts yourself.  Firing pins should be made from oil hardening drill rod that is quenched and tempered after shapeing.  Hammers can be made from Medium carbon steel, or you can case harden mild steel after shaping too.

Find pictures of the parts (Numirich might have some) on similar guns to yours for examples if you have to make them from scratch.

An old gun like that likely has damascus barrels and should not be shot.  Doing so with modern shotshells is liable to cause a blow-up.  Restoring it as a wall hanger, might be worth the effort, however.

Something to look for in identifying the gun is to look on the bottom of the barrels.  Most old shotguns have proofmarks punched here.  Remove the forend, break the gun and the barrels should separate from the receiver.  Also the manufacturer might be stamped here or on the water-table of the receiver (The flat part at 90 degrees to the receiver face).

The proof marks can be researched to find out who made it, or at least its county of origin.  Guns made in the U.S have proof marks that are specific to the maker.  Most foreign guns have state controlled proving houses and the marks correspond to the country.

Thanks for the help I'll take a look at the barrel to see if there is anything on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top