Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2007 10:41:50 PM EDT
For the first post ever I ask...

So what the absolutely dirt cheapest way into this sport? I've got a Ruger Vaquero in .44 Mag.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I would like to hear as well, I watched part of a match this weekend after our 3 gun match and it looks like fun.  Also a good excuse to buy more toys.

Buy talking to people there seems like ruger pistols and 1873's are pretty popular.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By DKing:

So what the absolutely dirt cheapest way into this sport? I've got a Ruger Vaquero in .44 Mag.

Buy from those that are getting out of it. The SASS Wire equivalent of EE will have a number of listings of people that have to sell due to health reasons.

wganz
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 8:45:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Most likely a couple of Dakota SAA copies in 38/357, a puma/rossi lever action in 38/357 and a side by side 12 ga break open from Classic Arms for under 200 bucks.

I've got a ruger vaquero bisley in 45 colt, along with a hammerli SAA in 45 colt, 2 EMF Dakota's in 357 and the side by side ready to go, along with a double gun rig for 2 pistols.

I'm still trying to find a nice used puma/rossi or even marlin at the local pawn shop in a pistol caliber.  The costuming/outfitting will come later, after I've done a couple shoots.

I don't know personally, but I've heard you can get really good deals at the matches themselves, from people who go the cheap way to get into it, then later decide they want the Cimarron Lightning guns, or a Henry or something nicer, they sell off their old stuff for good prices to people who want to get into it...

I'd go to SASS' website, find someone involved near where you live and get some suggestions and recommendations as well as attending an event or two before buying up a bunch of stuff.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I went to one just to see what it was like.  I had (and still have) only one single action revolver, a new Vaquero.  The people at the match made sure I had everything I needed to shoot.  There was no shortage of people willing to lend me thier personal firearms, and they even gave me some ammo to shoot when I ran out.

If this is any indication, I would say you can take your time  buying equipment and make some friends in the meantime!
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Travis - where do you go to a match at??  Was it the Boot Hill Gang??

DKing - there is no cheap way in.......
But some things will get you more value than others.
It also depends on what makes you happy.
Some folks must have Colts....Colt = $$$$
Other folks find Spaghetti Colts or Rugers are OK for them... a lot less pricey.
Rugers are pert near indestructible - I do not shoot them, but I generally recommend them to new shooters.
Not too long ago, before the dollar took a dump vs the Euro, you could get new Uberti SAA for under $200!  That was a deal.
For a rifle, a Rossi copy of the Win 92 is your best bet.

Caliber also matters....I shoot .45 Colt mostly, because I like it and I reload for it.
Reloading save lots of money.  I also reload a bunch of other calibers.
Buying factory new .45 Colt or .44-40, or .38-40 is brutal $$$$$, reloading is the best option.
If you must buy ammo, I would suggest .38Spl/.357mag.  Lead .38's are probably the cheapest to buy.
Look for a used SxS scattergun in a pawn or gunshop.
Cheap SxS can also be had new, Norinco makes a double barrel with hammers for about $250.....there is another import that is a copy of the Colt SxS model of 1878 - it cost a bit more, btu it is NICE. (Wish I had one)

You will want a cart of some kind to haul your stuff around the range....
Handy guys can look at the ones out there and make their own.  It can be simple, must be safe.

Leather will be another expense, again though, what makes you happy and you get what you pay for.  There are some starter quality leather goods out there, but they may not last over the long haul.

Last but not least is clothing......yes you must dress up.  You are basically role playing, you have an alias, and you try to costume appropriately.  This is what drew my wifey into the game.
Some folks get very elaborate, some go simple - either is fine as long as you meet the basic requirements.
No sneakers, no t-shirts (as outerwear), no ball caps, no short sleeves.
I tell newbies, a pairs of jeans, an old button down work shirt and some old leather work shoes/boots will do.

I hope this helps and doesn't overwhelm you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2008 9:09:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By wganz:

Buy from those that are getting out of it. The SASS Wire equivalent of EE will have a number of listings of people that have to sell due to health reasons.

wganz

Yep....sassnet.com or one of the ebangs.....get yourself another 44 Mag Vaquero, some leather, a lever action in 44 and a side by side shotgun.....a few period correct clothes, hat and boots and you're set to have more fun with guns than you have ever had.

Now......if you are a more competitive person....get your shootin irons and rifle in 38 special, get 'em slicked up and a short stroke for your lever, and a S X S shotgun.  Load up some 38's real light (aka: mouse farts) and you will eventually be able to shoot as fast as a semi-auto.  

Myself.....I prefer to have fun.  I shoot 45LC......and no mouse fart loads.

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Buy another Ruger in .44 mag

Buy a Marlin .44 mag.

Shoot .44 Special.

Buy a Stoeger 12 gauge Coachgun.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you set up to cast bullets and reload?

You will be going through ALOT of ammunition in this game. So if you are not yet set up, then do so. LEE casting/reloading equipment is affordable,
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Here was a sweet deal,

SASS Thread, Two Rugers

I just got these in trade. They are really nice stainless steel New Model Ruger Vaqueros. 4 5/8" bbls. .45lc caliber. Used in just a few matches by the former owner. Have Wolfe springs installed but comes with the original springs also. Both have boxes, paperwork, etc.

Will sell the pair for $950.00......Reduced to $850.00 shipped for the pair

I will even throw in a matching pair (left and right) used, but in good shape, Texas Jack holsters!

Pics here: http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s316/th...uger%20Vaquero/

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s316/theresasink/Ruger%20Vaquero/IMG_5265.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s316/theresasink/Ruger%20Vaquero/IMG_5266.jpg

But sold late last night
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 10:00:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By lar1911:
Here was a sweet deal,
But sold late last night

You missed it Boys..........That WAS a really good deal!!!!

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TravisBickle:
I went to one just to see what it was like.  I had (and still have) only one single action revolver, a new Vaquero.  The people at the match made sure I had everything I needed to shoot.  There was no shortage of people willing to lend me thier personal firearms, and they even gave me some ammo to shoot when I ran out.

If this is any indication, I would say you can take your time  buying equipment and make some friends in the meantime!

^This

The best way, maybe not the cheapest, but the BEST way is to go to matches and try out guns.  Try out a LOT of guns.  Decide which ones feel best to you.  That way you won't buy some today, find ones you like better next month, find ones you like better than those, find ones you like better than THOSE.....................You get the idea.  Spend a bit extra up front and get exactly what you want the first time.  You'll be much happier in the long run.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top