Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2015 8:05:14 PM EDT
Who makes the best or good tactical training videos ?
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 8:45:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DasRonin] [#1]
Magpul Dynamics has been very popular (even though some reject the 3-gun style straight support arm technique for "combat")

In for other providers to look at.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd take a look at the Panteao Productions site (costs approximately $20/month for unlimited streaming). Some instructors include Paul Howe, Pat Rogers, Robert Vogel, and Massad Ayoob.

Also, YouTubing some of the better-known instructors has yielded some helpful stuff.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 7:04:40 AM EDT
[#3]
"Your Defensive Rifle Training Program" by Mike Seeklander.

It's not entertainment as you have to do your part as a student...there is a book to go along with it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure if any of you'd be interested in watching some training vids with a twist of absurdity.  I get a kick out of doing them, so I thought I'd pass one on.  I've gotten a lot of good information over the years from this forum, so I thought I'd pay it forward...well, hopefully that's what I'm doing.  I might be shooting myself in the foot here though.  Enjoy.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDLgiAe7g88[/youtube]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're looking on youtube, Range Time TS does some decent stuff.  I've certainly enjoyed a few of their videos.  Iraqveteran8888 is also a good watch, and if you're interested in learning about a specific firearm, Hickok45 is a go-to for me.  Plus, Hickok just has a channel you just want to watch.  Hope this helps.

Force
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Force_Multiplier:
If you're looking on youtube, Range Time TS does some decent stuff.  I've certainly enjoyed a few of their videos.  Iraqveteran8888 is also a good watch, and if you're interested in learning about a specific firearm, Hickok45 is a go-to for me.  Plus, Hickok just has a channel you just want to watch.  Hope this helps.

Force
View Quote

You're joking I hope...
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Force
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Force
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TapRackClick556:
I'd take a look at the Panteao Productions site (costs approximately $20/month for unlimited streaming). Some instructors include Paul Howe, Pat Rogers, Robert Vogel, and Massad Ayoob.

Also, YouTubing some of the better-known instructors has yielded some helpful stuff.
View Quote

I'm testing the material with a few months of streaming.  I've found a range of material from "fantastic" (Mike Lamb), to "informative but a little dated" (Pat Rogers), to "YouTube has better" (Paul Howe).  If you do the Panteao route, I'd buy a month of streaming and bingewatch till you have a short list of DVD's you buy and keep forever.  That's what I'm doing.  That said, here's my short list:

1) Magpul, Art of the Tactical Carbine I and II.  Yeah, people hate on them, but with 8 discs between the two box sets, they give you all the foundation you could ask for.
2)  Haley's Adaptive Carbine.  Fantastic, but it's only one disc so you get through it fast.
3)  Pat Rogers Basic Carbine/ Carbine 2. More material than Haley, some of his stuff is a little behind the current thinking.  Depends on what generation of fighting style you grew up on.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 on the Magpul videos.  There is a ridiculous amount of content.  Commenting on technique only and not necessarily what they are teaching, Costa and Haley are great instructors.  They are engaging and work well together.  I do not agree with everything they teach, but the whole set is a great value and a place to start.

Kyle Lamb at Viking Tactics has done some great videos as well.  My favorite is the Streetfighter DVD.  I thought the Basic Carbine Fundamentals wasn't as polished as the rest of their products.  

Paul Howe's Intro to Exterior Movement is the best one I've found on that specific topic, but it deals with mostly team movement.

As for YouTubery, Pat McNamara's short vids are both educational and entertaining.

I am considering buying into the Pantaeo Productions streaming service, but I prefer a DVD that I can show guys for a few minutes to emphasize something we are working on.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Not sure if any of you'd be interested in watching some training vids with a twist of absurdity.  I get a kick out of doing them, so I thought I'd pass one on.  I've gotten a lot of good information over the years from this forum, so I thought I'd pay it forward...well, hopefully that's what I'm doing.  I might be shooting myself in the foot here though.  Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDLgiAe7g88
View Quote

Did you drink all those Coors Light's before making that video?

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:26:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZippZ] [#13]
I enjoyed watching the magpul tactical carbine video, they are very clear and provide good examples to understand the topics.  I haven't watched the Art of the Tactical Carbine 2 yet.

Sets are $20 each, can go wrong with that.  You shouldn't totally rely on videos though, you should combine them with hands on training with an instructor.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Been doing panteao.com videos for about 2 days. They are broken up into chapters, so that you can select only the topics you want for particular information.

The best part of it is that there are multiple different instructors with different approaches, so you get stuff from a lot of different viewpoints. Keep working on them until you find what works for you.

Get snap caps, and train along with the videos as they go along. Safety is paramount here. Do not, under any circumstances, train with loaded magazines or live rounds off the range. Working the actual mechanics of the movements is going to be imperative if you want to retain what they are saying. After trying everything that is suggested, find out what works best for you. Most ranges that I know of will not let you draw from the holster, step off the X, or do any of the things you should really be doing. You either have to take a class with a bona fide instructor, or train away from the range, in order to get the most benefit. Of course, training at the range teaches you the most important aspect of this, and that is actually firing your weapon(s).

AS far s value to dollar is concerned, panteao.com is probably the most content for the least money. At only 20 dollars a month, it's about the price of a couple of premium video channels. If you are serious about your training, this is an opportunity to immerse yourself in the subject matter until you are confident that you can perform the things that are being taught. Every class you take will be different, and some will say that only their style actually works, which is why it's good to have input from so many different people.

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Videos are only primers for what you can expect when attending an actual class, but the benefits are two fold. They familiarize you with the techniques you will be taught at class, and they establish muscle memory so that you can get the most benefit from attending a class. So many of the things are similar that practicing them on a regular basis will only serve to make you better prepared to actually perform these in a high stress environment without having to dwell on them too much. They will also aid in retention, since in class, everything will be thrown at you in a short period of time, and you are expected to master it and keep moving. Short term memory being what it is, outside of the training environment, if you don't fully grasp what you are being told, you will rapidly forget it sooner than later.

Going into actual training with a working knowledge of what you should be doing will allow you to focus on the task at hand and prepare you for what's coming. It will also allow you to flesh out your equipment somewhat and get comfortable with using it before attending class. You will find out what works best for you. Classes, coupled with the cost of ammo and possible travel expenses mean you should be trying to do everything you can to get the most benefit from them, in the short time that you actually have to train. The confidence you will build from drilling on the techniques beforehand will allow you to perform them seamlessly, and you will gain the most from training by being able to concentrate on what you and your weapons platform are actually doing.

Videos are in no way a substitute for actual training. In the military, guys are trained on rifles long before they ever set foot on a live range. Once there, they can focus on what they need to do. They have a higher pass rate as a result of that. Videos are like study. Classes are like the test.  In the real world, it is what it is. There's only pass or fail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top