Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2011 8:26:02 AM EDT
I bought Vol 2 since I read a few reviews saying Vol 1 was too basic, but I haven't viewed Vol 2.

I mainly considered getting Vol 1 to learn the proper fundamentals: grip, stance, trigger pull, etc... but is it worth buying Vol 1? Are there better carbine videos for that type of instruction?
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both vol 1 and 2.
I recommend getting both.  Great instruction for very low price.
Even if you know most of the stuff in vol 1 it is good to have to let others borrow who are just getting into BRD!
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Videos are always helpful, but nothing replaces going through actual professional training. There's a lot of info, technique, and experience lost in just watching a video and replicating what you see.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#3]
It's worth every cent. Those guys are amazing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Am I the only one who is a little disappointed in these Magpul products. In no way am I saying their product is bad as they are in fact quite good. However,  I was expecting something new that pushed the edge and I almost through tactical carbine 1 and to me it mostly seems like repackaged USMC/ARMY/SF standard combat training, specifically Tables 2,3,4, and CMP type shooting. Granted they do get more in to dynamics than you will find in a basic combat arms mos training standard simply because of safety, I just feel like I could have stuck to most of what I already knew. The crazy high speed weapons manipulation stuff seems like it is marketed towards wannabe civilians or cops that want to be swat(no disrespect). Again, im not bashing their product, I sat here for an hour last night going through their drills working on proficiency, however for all the hype and rage about Haley and Costa I was just expecting more. I just OIC'ed a CMP range and had a recently promoted Sergeant teach the Marines the same stuff nearly verbatim and I doubt he has ever heard of Travis Haley or Chris Costa. Was I expecting to much?
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I felt Volume 2 was more useful, as was Dynamic Handguns. I noticed a lot of the concepts are recycled for the handgun and rifle discs.

Also Volume 1 Disc 1 was amateur day, complete with that female that chewed gum in an annoying manner. Disc 2 had some of the guys that participated in other Dynamic/Tactical discs and seemed to know what they were doing.

Link Posted: 4/12/2012 2:59:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah vol 1 was a waste of money, but I own a gun. If you have never picked one up then it may be for you but there was much to be desired.  Costa is the biggest tool of them all, They NEVER show their targets when they are rapid firing, he just looks like he is trying to pull the trigger as fast as he can. You would like to assume he is making hits BUT in the carbine 2 video during the safety brief they forgot to edit out a clip where he fires about 15 rounds at a steel target from about 10 yds, he misses the first 10-12 then walks on the last few. From 10 yds.... ass clown
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah vol 1 was a waste of money, but I own a gun. If you have never picked one up then it may be for you but there was much to be desired.  Costa is the biggest tool of them all, They NEVER show their targets when they are rapid firing, he just looks like he is trying to pull the trigger as fast as he can. You would like to assume he is making hits BUT in the carbine 2 video during the safety brief they forgot to edit out a clip where he fires about 15 rounds at a steel target from about 10 yds, he misses the first 10-12 then walks on the last few. From 10 yds.... ass clown

I took a 3 day carbine course from Chris and saw him shoot carbine and pistol.  Your assessment of his marksmanship skills is highly inaccurate.  In fact, it is dead wrong.  The name-calling doesn't particularly add credibility to your argument.  I'm no fanboy - have taken classes from multiple different training outfits, but you are trying to base your assessment on an a video clip showing what appear to be misses.  For all you know, that could have been a trigger reset drill where the goal is to focus on trigger reset without worrying about hitting a target.  Or maybe they were misses.  Do you know it was 10 yards, since the depth of field on the camera image is different from the naked eye.  Have you seen him or Travis shoot in person?  Have you seen any other fast dudes in a carbine course?  

One drill we did was 5 rounds on one target at 10 yards, 5 on another at 10 yards.  Speed reload, then 5 each on 2 targets at 15 yards.  Anything outside a 6" square counted against your time by a second.  I had one outside the box by a couple inches (still COM/combat effective), so my time was 13 seconds.  20 accurate rounds with a speed reload on 4 targets in 12-13 seconds, and I was nowhere near the fastest guy there.  Chris and a couple other guys were blazing quick and accurate - in fact a couple of the students beat him on that drill.  He doesn't claim to be the fastest or the best, but he is very, very skilled at shooting and gun handling.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

if you actually knew something about what was being filmed and why you can comment you dont know what your talking about and its your only sticking point so how about this  you come to the class and show us all how good you are with a gun so we can comment on your skills

there are times in production when b roll is shot and filmed that rounds are put between targets  ask me how i know this since i lived on the road  with chris and travis for the past 2.5 years before the split  and have been in the dvds as both student and inst.... and in the art of redo we have added new times on bsa and shown those as well  and more

unless you care to show up and lay it down on the line  i advise a point of STFU unless you do it better, yet ill comp your slot at class how is that pick the one and show up.
internet experts i love them.......
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you actually knew something about what was being filmed and why you can comment you dont know what your talking about and its your only sticking point so how about this  you come to the class and show us all how good you are with a gun so we can comment on your skills

there are times in production when b roll is shot and filmed that rounds are put between targets  ask me how i know this since i lived on the road  with chris and travis for the past 2.5 years before the split  and have been in the dvds as both student and inst.... and in the art of redo we have added new times on bsa and shown those as well  and more

unless you care to show up and lay it down on the line  i advise a point of STFU unless you do it better, yet ill comp your slot at class how is that pick the one and show up.
internet experts i love them.......

How bout you let me come and I won't even talk smack first!  LOL.

It has been crickets since your offer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top