Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2017 10:34:14 PM EDT
I always teach students to "safety" during movement.  Something that was taught to me early in Special Forces.  As I started getting more into competition, my desire to engage the safety became less desirable so that I could become faster.  Later, I discovered that it didn't add more time. Here's an example:
Lateral movement with a rifle, with Mike Green and Nate Stokes

Any thoughts or feedback on engaging the safety?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:29:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crux] [#1]
I my training classes I was taught to keep the safety on until getting the sights up on a valid target you are shooting (i.e. not until "threat" has been called and sights are on), put safety on when you break the sight picture to move or fix something, and to put the safety on when all targets are defeated.  Makes sense to me and is quite natural having trained it from early on.  

I'm sure people can do fine otherwise, but I think having this as an ingrained habit would help reduce the chances of failing to put the safety on under stress and confusion.  One more layer against an accident that isn't taxing to learn and practice in my mind.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:36:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ridgeline] [#2]
Nm.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I have always kept to the old "Treat, never, keep, keep" that the Marine Corps hammers into us. It usually comes off right before my muzzle reaches the target, and stays that way until I'm no longer actively engaging.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 10:39:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick710] [#5]
Not sure if this link to a Facebook video will work; but here's Frank Proctor's take on it:

Frank Proctor
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 5:01:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Just shot this match - I hadn't thought much about it but when watching the video I noticed that I was cycling the safety between every position even when just changing from standing to kneeling or kneeling to a rice paddy squat.  I don't think there is much of a time penalty to it as I had the top time of the match on the stage.  The time you are spending on the safety is time that was already being used refining your sight picture or building your position.

Match Video
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Sights on target = safety off
Sights off target = safety on

Reloading?  Safety on.
Moving without a sight picture? Safety on.
Fixing a malfunction? Safety on (if possible).
Transition to handgun?  Safety on.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 4:04:44 AM EDT
[#8]
thank ou very much, i like your article
Rc airplane
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Everythingisawesome:

Reloading?  Safety on.
View Quote
All the training with a carbine that I have done has been exactly this.  I don't really notice or consciously think about it.  Recently I took a shotgun course where the instructor did not advocate using the shotgun safety at all.  Cruiser ready in storage, and no safety for moving, reloading, etc.  I did notice the difference when I STOPPED using a safety as often as I would have had I been using a carbine.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 2:43:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BPR] [#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Everythingisawesome:

Reloading?  Safety on.
View Quote
Why put the safety on when transitioning to a handgun?  No reason to transition if the rifle is still functional, right?

(Not a rhetorical question)

My personal SOP is safety off when I have a cheek weld, safety on when I don't.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#11]
^ I was thinking the same. Unless you transition to your handgun just for the sake of doing it, normally your rifle is a) out of ammo or b) malfunction so when I let it sling down, theres no way it is going to go off.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I realize this is AR15.com, but for AK folks - you'll lose a lot of time putting the safety on between targets.  Finger straight and off the trigger is a good substitute.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top