Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2016 4:06:02 PM EDT
I signed up for the carbine course with Larry Vickers and even though know of him I have never had a class with him. What can I expect from him overall besides years of real experience? I have multiple carbines and I will bring the M4 type platform like we have at work, my particular rifle is a Bcm midlength 16" with a Aimpoint Aimpro. I have the 221 sling from Blue Force. I plan on using Pmags and the muffs that shut out loud noise but amplify lower sounds, I am bringing a cleaning kit and one Glock 19.

What I am not sure is if to get a vest holding the mags like my body armor or have mags mounted on belt like from BFG? Should I bring a spare bolt for the AR or is that overkill? I am driving so I will bring my own ammo as well.

Go ahead and tell me what I forgot so I don't show and be mad because I forgot something.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Glockycharms:
I signed up for the carbine course with Larry Vickers and even though know of him I have never had a class with him. What can I expect from him overall besides years of real experience? I have multiple carbines and I will bring the M4 type platform like we have at work, my particular rifle is a Bcm midlength 16" with a Aimpoint Aimpro. I have the 221 sling from Blue Force. I plan on using Pmags and the muffs that shut out loud noise but amplify lower sounds, I am bringing a cleaning kit and one Glock 19.

What I am not sure is if to get a vest holding the mags like my body armor or have mags mounted on belt like from BFG? Should I bring a spare bolt for the AR or is that overkill? I am driving so I will bring my own ammo as well.

Go ahead and tell me what I forgot so I don't show and be mad because I forgot something.

Thanks!
View Quote

Sounds like you took his endorsements to heart lol.

I would bring a spare rifle, mags and extra ammo.  As far as carrying stuff, bring both setups, who knows what drills or scenarios he'll have you go through
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#2]
A spare bolt group is probably fine (as opposed to a bringing a spare rifle...most issues are bolt related).

Gloves, eye pro, ear pro, knee pads, spare mags. Electrolyte replacement, snacks, water; rain gear.

The most critical thing is to show up with an open mind.

Let the instructor(s) show you new/different Techniques/Procedures
and try them on for size.

Some of the stuff may not work for you, but you won't know until you try.

Relax, enjoy the time on the range and meeting new folks.

You are only in competition with yourself...don't try to beat everyone.

Your only goal is to leave the course a better shooter than when you arrived (and to leave with the same number of holes as when you arrived).

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd recommend a good notepad along with a good pen.  Larry is full of information!
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 3:41:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mo4040:
A spare bolt group is probably fine (as opposed to a bringing a spare rifle...most issues are bolt related).

Gloves, eye pro, ear pro, knee pads, spare mags. Electrolyte replacement, snacks, water; rain gear.

The most critical thing is to show up with an open mind.

Let the instructor(s) show you new/different Techniques/Procedures
and try them on for size.

Some of the stuff may not work for you, but you won't know until you try.

Relax, enjoy the time on the range and meeting new folks.

You are only in competition with yourself...don't try to beat everyone.

Your only goal is to leave the course a better shooter than when you arrived (and to leave with the same number of holes as when you arrived).

View Quote

Id like to highlight this. Training courses are to learn and build on skills, so pay attention and pick up everything that you can. At the same time, don't forget to enjoy the experience. Try not to worry about others performance or what their target looks like, focus on you and sharpening the skills that YOU have. You will likely meet some good people and learn a lot from the whole thing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 4:27:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JCIN] [#5]
Have a good zero on your rifle.

If you never shoot kneeling/sitting/prone spend some time trying the positions to become familiar. Its easier to focus on instruction when you are not trying to figure out a position you are not used to. If its a gravel range knee pads are your friend.

Show up with your gun lubed. Keep it that way.

You dont need a ton of shit and enough mags to take over Canada on your body. Its a basic carbine class. Three or four loaded mags is plenty. Stick em in your pockets if you dont have something to carry them in.  You will have breaks to refill them. Less is more in this situation. Seen so many guys waste time fucking with chest rigs and plate carriers because the class is the only place they use them. One good kydex belt mounted mag pouch for a rifle mag and a pistol mag pouch is perfect. Back fill them as needed from your pockets.

Best way to manage ammo is load up a shit ton of mags all the way full ahead of time and keep them behind the line. When a break is called just refill as needed with new mags. Use the time you save in class to talk to other people who were as smart as you while everyone else is stuffing ammo. Take some empty mags and loose ammo so you can quickly set up for drills without having to strip out a bunch of rounds from a full mag. You will see stuff that only needs two or three rounds in the mag plus malfunction drills. I use two ammo cans. One is full of loaded mags the other has a ziploc bag of loose ammo and some empty mags. During breaks dump your partial mags in this can and refill with fresh from the loaded can. When you get home from the class set it all up again for the next day. A bag with a divider works well for this too.

Put your name on everything. Shouldnt have to worry about theft it just makes it easier to find your mags or whatever else you left laying somewhere.

Bring plenty of water. Drink it.

Tell Larry you really like Chris Costa and think he's the real deal.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Get hydrated with clean water weeks in advance, and maintain high levels of hydration and good nutrition.

You will be exerting a lot of physical and mental energy, so you will need constant glucose boosts throughout the day.

Get a lot of rest before attending the course.  Don't spend the night before burning midnight oil.  Have all your gear prepped, know the route to the range and have your navigation plan memorized or loaded up, with back-up map and route plan, and have your snacks and meals planned and prepared in advance.

You can use a battle belt of small chest rig for spare mags and a dump pouch.

Make sure to bring electronic hearing with noise gating capability, like Peltor, Howard Leight, MSA Sordin, etc.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 1:31:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: clg9mm] [#7]
Larry does a 100 yard zero.
300 rounds or 3 o'clock for the day
Good ammo and mags....he will bust your balls if you show up with pro mag crap or an eotech
No Serpa holster unless it is a duty issued one.
Spare batteries, rain gear, notebook, water and good boots.
You don't need a chest rig, just good belt system and rifle sling.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I wanted to let everyone know I took the class and thoroughly enjoyed the class and the one liners, I saw weaknesses in my equipment and will adapt accordingly. My Bcm , Pmags, Aimpoint ran flawlessly so I was relieved!

Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:20:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Glockycharms:
I wanted to let everyone know I took the class and thoroughly enjoyed the class and the one liners, I saw weaknesses in my equipment and will adapt accordingly. My Bcm , Pmags, Aimpoint ran flawlessly so I was relieved!

Thanks everyone!
View Quote

What were the weaknesses in your gear?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top