Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2017 11:35:18 PM EDT
Looking to see what drills/exercises anyone can suggest for trips to the range. Both on indoor paper along with outdoor IPSC cardboard/steel. Any source for the drills would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking to increase accuracy, work on trigger control, manage recoil, and most of all.....utilize every single bullet for progression.

Any way to track said progress, also?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 6:07:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy a shot timer, helps keep track of time/progress.  I bought one off Amazon using the spare change jar and coinstar no fee voucher.

Look at some of the USPSA classifers, with a timer, you can see how you rank and improvement over time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Dot torture drill is a great warm-up for range training sessions.

I picked up some bulk targets from a local fun show with a grid of two inch circles. Shooting them at five to seven yards really helps to increase my focus. I like to just shoot each dot as a bulls-eye exercise while checking my grip and trigger squeeze.
To work on draw and presentation, you can re-holster after each shot. It takes a surprising amount of focus and diligence to get fifty good hits.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Dot torture drill is awesome.  Works on everything that you are asking for.
Dot Torture Drill

Step back drill
Video and explanation of drill
take a shoot-n-c target (6").  Start at 5 yards.  Shoot 3-5 shots on targets.  I usually use 3 and stick with it, 5 will increase difficulty.  You move back 3 yards after you make all 3 hits consecutively.  You only paste the target for misses.  You must make all hits before you move back 3 yards.

Bill Drill - shoot 6 shots at 1 IPSC as fast as you can while shooting all A's.  Use a par time to keep yourself moving in the right direction.  Common drill, look it up online.

Blake Drill - shoot those 6 shots in the same cadence as your Bill Drill; but you are now shooting at 3 targets spaced out a little bit.  Forces you to drive your gun between shots 2 and 3 and your overall time should be the same.  I really sucked at this drill when I first started.  Common drill, look it up online.

To keep track of progress, some guys use a notebook.  Kind of wish I would have used one.  I just kind of know about the times that I'm supposed to hit and push for.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looking to see what drills/exercises anyone can suggest for trips to the range. Both on indoor paper along with outdoor IPSC cardboard/steel. Any source for the drills would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking to increase accuracy, work on trigger control, manage recoil, and most of all.....utilize every single bullet for progression.

Any way to track said progress, also?

Thanks!
View Quote

Dry fire....and lots of it.  Every day if you can.  Draw (hands natural at sides, from surrender, spin draw, etc...), standing reloads, 2 step reloads, etc...

As for live fire, Draw into 2 shots (I start my practices with this, starting at 7 and working my way out to 30yds, 10 rds per set from 7, 12, 15, 20, 25, and 30...use no shoots and hard cover to increase difficulty) Bill drills, blake drills, el prez, 4 aces and accelerator are all good places to start.  Don't neglect moving and shooting and reloading on the move either.  

Like others have said, use a shot timer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Get the Ben Stoeger books.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you guys thus far, I appreciate it. As I said, I'm looking to make each bullet count and form a training regiment. Bouncing between my G17 and M&P 2.0 is like learning to throw a brick vs a softball, so maybe I should get the training "down pat" on one before the other?

PS, I love my Glock but the M&P shot like a laser today at the range.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you guys thus far, I appreciate it. As I said, I'm looking to make each bullet count and form a training regiment. Bouncing between my G17 and M&P 2.0 is like learning to throw a brick vs a softball, so maybe I should get the training "down pat" on one before the other?

PS, I love my Glock but the M&P shot like a laser today at the range.
View Quote
Pick one or embrace the suck.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pick one and put the other in the safe permanently.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
This... lmao.

But in all honesty, start with solid dryfire as that should be the foundation. Use a timer and then check your dry times against your live times. I really like using Dot Torture as a good warm up or when I don't have a lot of time on the range. It is probably one of the best uses of 50 rounds you will get. You can also track your progress on it by taking a picture or saving the targets.

I would also recommend a training journal so you can keep track of different drills you run, their times, and see how you progress or relapse based on how much effort you're putting in.

Lastly, get good training. Make sure it's someone who is respected in the industry and not someone who thinks they're an instructor because they hang out at a gunshop a lot. Quality instruction, especially early on, will cut your learning curve and give you a lot to work on. It will also identify training scars early and help you train properly.

My .02
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Glad I stumbled into this thread. Looking for just this info.

I ran Dot Torture for the first time last weekend. I'm going to make it a mainstay in my rotation.

This 5x5 drill is on my list of drills to check out next range trip.

I've also tried this drill some. I like it, but I'm not sure if I get as much out of it as the other drills above.

My to do list for next range trip is:
Dot Torture
5x5 Drill from above
Bill Drill

Always looking for more.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Glad I stumbled into this thread. Looking for just this info.

I ran Dot Torture for the first time last weekend. I'm going to make it a mainstay in my rotation.

This 5x5 drill is on my list of drills to check out next range trip.

I've also tried this drill some. I like it, but I'm not sure if I get as much out of it as the other drills above.

My to do list for next range trip is:
Dot Torture
5x5 Drill from above
Bill Drill

Always looking for more.
View Quote
I haven't had a chance yet to shoot outdoor at the farm range yet, using the dot drill....but that drill looks pretty sweet none the less. I've also seen several cool drills from Lucas of T.Rex Arms. I'll post. Link is below but check them out.

My other goal is to find indoor range drills similar to the dot drill and alike, just without the holster portion. I suppose I could adapt and just go from a low ready position but I'd like to find others that hone sight picture, trigger pull, grip, etc.

https://trex-arms.com/training-aids/
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I do much more prefer the M&P, fitment/grip is night and day for my hand compared to the Glock. Let alone, I feel the learning curve on the trigger is easier. But that's just me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:55:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Personally, I like dot torture, the FAST drill, and working plate racks from 25-30 yards.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top