Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Appendix carry concerns. (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/30/2016 3:37:27 PM EDT
I really would like to be convinced there is no reason to be nervous about appendix carry. It has a lot of benefits I would really like to take advantage of.  But I currently can't get comfortable with the idea of pointing a loaded gun at my crotch and legs, especially reholstering.
I usually do listen to reason. So maybe somebody can point me to statistics or something that show that appendix carry isn't any more dangerous than anything else. If certain kinds of guns are a lot safer for appendix carry I'd love to hear about it, double action vs striker fired for example.
Giving yourself glock-leg has to suck, getting glock-crotch must suck far far worse.

Thanks.

If you are reading this John, yeah, I know I'm beating a dead horse. "Nobody ever shoots themselves in the crotch when reholstering etc etc."
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Two words..

femoral artery!
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By stone-age:
I really would like to be convinced there is no reason to be nervous about appendix carry. It has a lot of benefits I would really like to take advantage of.  But I currently can't get comfortable with the idea of pointing a loaded gun at my crotch and legs, especially reholstering.
I usually do listen to reason. So maybe somebody can point me to statistics or something that show that appendix carry isn't any more dangerous than anything else. If certain kinds of guns are a lot safer for appendix carry I'd love to hear about it, double action vs striker fired for example.
Giving yourself glock-leg has to suck, getting glock-crotch must suck far far worse.

Thanks.

If you are reading this John, yeah, I know I'm beating a dead horse. "Nobody ever shoots themselves in the crotch when reholstering etc etc."
View Quote

never heard of it..

AIWB is the most comfortable i have ever been able to carry. i use an simple RCS vanguard II holster. never had any issues at all.

i have been carrying this way for about a year now.

i was sketchy about it at first since the barrel sits right over my right testicle whenever im sitting down. but the trigger guard is pretty tight so no worries about something getting in there and allowing the trigger to be pulled.

no issues from me so far.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#3]
If your that worried about it don't do it.

Thanks.

View Quote

Biggest thing is put the gun in the holster, then tuck the holster inside your waist band. Then guess what DONT MESS WITH IT! Until the need arises. Practice drawing and holstering with an empty chamber.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 11:43:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nanashi] [#4]
I carry appendix.

Use a hard holster no leather or neoprene
. Kydex or plastic is a must, a quality holster is a must. It has to be a hard holster. Soft holsters will fold and could cause the gun to Lodge the trigger on re holstering.

Draw fast, re holster slow and if it's possible look when you re holster. Practice drawing and re holstering with an empty or dummy gun. Practice looking while re holstering most appendix ND's happen while re holstering. Your not a samurai, don't do it unless you can not look away from whatever it is your doing.

Appendix is great for us skinny to medium guys. We have more control over the pistol in crowded environments, faster draw, it's comfortable even with larger pistols. We don't bend over exposing our firearm.

The first day I carried appendix I did not chamber a round. I just wanted to make sure the pistol road well and would slide out of the holster somehow and Lodge back in there with something jamming the trigger. After that I always carried in the ready.

One more thing my pistol doesn't leave the holster unless I'm shooting it or cleaning it. I put it on in the holster I take it off in the holster. The trigger is always covered. I pull it out at the range and when I'm cleaning it. I'll also remove it an replace it with a SIRT when I'm training at home but the point is reduce your chances of having an ND by using your brain. The ND won't happen unless you hit that trigger.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Back in the day it was known as the castration carry for a reason.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 8:18:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DasRonin:
Two words..

femoral artery!
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 4:43:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Plenty of people (leo and civilians) carry appendix, and train that way with no issues. Obviously the most important aspect is SAFETY, and training accordingly with that in mind. Second I would say is a quality holster that covers the trigger guard, and a reliable weapon system that you are comfortable carrying.

With appendix carry the only real concern in my mind is holstering, and you should never be in a hurry to get your firearm back into its holster. It is important to look the gun back into the holster, being very aware of clothing or any other piece of gear that could possibly get caught in the trigger guard.

After you get used to carrying the weapon, always remember to be mindful of all of the safety rules and precautions when handling the weapon. All it takes is one instance of not paying attention for an accident to occur, and with appendix carry it would be a bad situation.

OP if you are still uncomfortable with carrying something like a Glock, you can always choose a firearm with a manual safety, just be sure to train well so that you can use it under all conditions.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#8]
If you are responsible it is as safe as any other mode of carry. In many ways actually safer. You can watch the pistol as you reholster and stop anything from entering the trigger guard, you have better control over the pistol in crowds and during a fight. If you fall there is no large chunk of metal on your back to injure your spine.

Yes if you negligently fire during a reholster or draw there is a chance you could hit some very important stuff, but I think that the risk (which is mitigated by training and prudence) is far outweighed by the benefits.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By hankforker:
If you are responsible it is as safe as any other mode of carry. In many ways actually safer. You can watch the pistol as you reholster and stop anything from entering the trigger guard, you have better control over the pistol in crowds and during a fight. If you fall there is no large chunk of metal on your back to injure your spine.

Yes if you negligently fire during a reholster or draw there is a chance you could hit some very important stuff, but I think that the risk (which is mitigated by training and prudence) is far outweighed by the benefits.
View Quote

100% agreement.

The "You'll shoot your dick off" argument (or any similar variation) is for the timid/inexperienced in my experience.

AIWB is, IMO, the best carry method.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 3:31:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By M4:

100% agreement.

The "You'll shoot your dick off" argument (or any similar variation) is for the timid/inexperienced in my experience.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4:

100% agreement.

Agree, well said
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 4:06:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GSL] [#11]
Appendix carry is not for me. Way overrated, way uncomfortable, and it's not exactly smart to have a gun pointed at your femoral. To each their own though. I've got too much time invested in the draw from the 3:30 to 4:00 carry which is the most comfortable and easiest way to conceal for me. I work a job where I'm constantly sitting down and leaving the desk to work the field and appendix is about as comfortable as hugging a porcupine. Appendix would make me not wanting to carry at all.

No training can cure the lack of comfort and no training can cure adrenaline induced stress which may cause an ND at the worst time when you're about to fight for your very life. Too many negatives.

Find what carries well and you shoot the best. If it doesn't carry well, then you should not be carrying it there for the topic's sake.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 4:33:06 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote
http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2015/08/23/man-dies-attempting-appendix-carry-reholster-milkwaukee/

I have better control on my strong side. I can stop anything from entering the holster doing a clothing sweep. If I'm concealing it, then I will not have issues with a crowd. If I fall there is no chunk of metal on my back at all since it is to my side. There is too much risk to that no training can stop after an adrenaline and induced stress ND or an AD. Too much trouble outweighs placing the appendix as the best way to carry.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:12:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By GSL:

http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2015/08/23/man-dies-attempting-appendix-carry-reholster-milkwaukee/

I have better control on my strong side. I can stop anything from entering the holster doing a clothing sweep. If I'm concealing it, then I will not have issues with a crowd. If I fall there is no chunk of metal on my back at all since it is to my side. There is too much risk to that no training can stop after an adrenaline and induced stress ND or an AD. Too much trouble outweighs placing the appendix as the best way to carry.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GSL:

Two sides to every subject...

http://www.balloongoesup.com/blog/appendix-carry/
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 1:56:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a .40 S&W Shield with a safety on it and I recently thought about giving appendix carry a go with it, since it has an additional safety.  My only holdup thus far has been finding a suitable holster.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 2:18:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BDinNC] [#15]
Having young kids around, I don't carry with one in the chamber anymore.

any training I do now is with the gun in that condition as well.  racking the slide is like second nature at this point.

yeah i know its not ideal but the tradeoff mitigates a lot of the risks.  This is one of them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By gunz4me:
I have a .40 S&W Shield with a safety on it and I recently thought about giving appendix carry a go with it, since it has an additional safety.  My only holdup thus far has been finding a suitable holster.
View Quote

Same gun but in 9mm here.

I can't recommend Cook's Holsters highly enough.

https://www.cooksholsters.com/appendix-carry-inside-waist-band-holster/

Adjustable cant (0-20 degrees)
Incredible selection of kydex colors and patterns
Selectable kydex thickness
Custom ride height (Upload a photo of exactly where you want the gun to ride and they'll make your holster exactly to your specs)
Reasonable prices
Reasonable lead time
Lifetime warranty
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 12:19:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By M4:

Custom ride height (Upload a photo of exactly where you want the gun to ride and they'll make your holster exactly to your specs)

Reasonable prices

Reasonable lead time

Lifetime warranty

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4:

Reasonable prices

Reasonable lead time

Lifetime warranty

Thanks for the suggestion!  That is just what I am looking for.

Link Posted: 7/16/2016 1:21:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4] [#18]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By M4:

Reasonable prices

Reasonable lead time

Lifetime warranty

Happy to help.

This is actually the link to the adjustable cant model...

https://www.cooksholsters.com/iwb-holster-w-adjustable-belt-clip/

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 2:59:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's my issues with appendix carry

1. Most gun owners do not practice enough to be proficient at SAFELY unholstering and reholstering, especially under stress.  If you do, good for you.  I still don't trust it.

2.  The 4 rules overlap so that in the event that one rule is accidentally broken, the other three will still keep you safe.  Appendix carry is intentionally violating one of those rules especially when in a seated postion, and therefore if the trigger is accidentally pulled, the overlap doesn't keep you safe.  And you're not risking a toe or outside leg, you're risking your femoral artery.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

View All Quotes
Two words..

femoral artery!

1. put a laser on your gun if you can place it on your hip where it would be when it is in a strong side hip holster. You will see that the laser is still pointing at very important areas. 2. Why are you pulling the trigger with you gun pointed at your body? Finger off trigger until your sights are on target. How did what type of holster you use change that?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By six:

1. put a laser on your gun if you can place it on your hip where it would be when it is in a strong side hip holster. You will see that the laser is still pointing at very important areas. 2. Why are you pulling the trigger with you gun pointed at your body? Finger off trigger until your sights are on target. How did what type of holster you use change that?
View All Quotes
Two words..

femoral artery!

There is a lot of meat and bone in the way of that artery to begin with carrying strong side, bot much at the appendix. And people react to stress differently and can do bad things. If you like the appendix way, rock on. But I do not, too many cons and not one good at all for me to decide what is optimal and the best and what simply isn't because it is more hype than actual benefiting to me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes
Two words..

femoral artery!

I was on the line, two students over, when Front Sight incident #2 happened.  He was lucky he didn't lose a toe (although his boot looked new, aside from the .45 hole).  There were some mistakes made, but he didn't have his finger on the trigger.

Personally, I prefer strong side FBI tilt partly because it does not normally muzzle any part of my body at all, and the draw is better than a vertical holster when seated (although still not as good as AIWB or cross draw for that circumstance).
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#23]
There is a reason or two most of the better known trainers and training academies / schools etc. do not allow it in their classes / course.....maybe they are all wrong? Maybe.  I personally feel the negatives such as its uncomfortable, points the gun at the femoral and nuts etc.,....out weighs the positives, it's fast and conceals the gun well.  I personally find a 4 o'clock carry is just as fast, just as concealable, much more comfortable, and just as fast.....for me. I do realize that body dynamics play a role, o we must all do what is best for us. I do not think its an ALL or NOTHING option.

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:11:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rock71] [#24]
Originally Posted By Britbiker:
There is a reason or two most of the better known trainers and training academies / schools etc. do not allow it in their classes / course.....maybe they are all wrong?

View Quote

And some of the big names do use appendix carry. Obviously, an open class, with unknown students, is a terrible place to practice appendix carry.

http://youtu.be/h1ddVlhpzmE - Kyle Lamb

Larry Vickers- "*Update; a number of people think this means I don’t support appendix carry – that’s not the case. You are free to carry however you want – however I feel in an open enrollment class is it not appropriate so therefore in the future I am not allowing it."
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quality holster and a very disciplined finger.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:55:45 AM EDT
[#26]
I decided to take a class specifically on appendix carry instructed by  Spencer Keeper of Keeper Concealment. This answered many of my questions and and addressed some of my concerns.  Enough for me to be comfortable with appendix carry. If I reholster slowly and carefully,  and tilt my hips out as I was taught, the gun is in the holster without being pointed directly at my body parts. Reholstering is where the danger lies. Also, I will continue to use my Springfield XD which has a grip safety. The gun can easily be reholstered  normally without turning off the safety, it's just another layer that makes me more comfortable.
I've modified my holster to copy some of the features of the Keeper holster. Those features are all about concealment and they work beautifully to make the holster disappear.  I really can't afford to have my customers see I'm carrying a gun.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:09:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solidus-v1] [#27]

Thanks.

View Quote

I've been carrying full-sized handguns appendix for about 5 years.  I'm not a big guy.  I was uncomfortable at first, so to get comfortable I just carried with a snapcap in the gun at home to start breaking in the holster and get used to it.  Went about my daily routine...walking, kneeling, running, moving, etc....I was just waiting for the gun to go off and metaphorically shoot me in the junk.  

Never did.

I've carried 1911s, glocks, XD's, KAHR's all appendix.  Good belt, good holster, mindful training and awareness and you'll be fine.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#28]
My brother in law and 2 of his cousins took a pistol class from John Mosby. It was really how to fight with a pistol, not how to shoot one. After some ground fighting drills, every student there was convinced AIWB was THE way to carry concealed
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By WantsAnRRA:

My brother in law and 2 of his cousins took a pistol class from John Mosby. It was really how to fight with a pistol, not how to shoot one. After some ground fighting drills, every student there was convinced AIWB was THE way to carry concealed
View Quote

John Mosby is a guy I would LOVE to learn from.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:43:25 PM EDT
[#30]
I first carried strong-side FBI cant with an IWB holster. It was comfortable enough, but I had to move the butt of the pistol grip way too far behind me to make it so that I wasn't outlining. I started messing with a friend's AIWB, and found out how much faster and easier it is to draw (YMMV), so I then bought my own (a leather one at that ), and I haven't turned back. To be fair, it is more uncomfortable to wear while sitting down, but I have enough play with mine that I can adjust it to be pretty tolerable.

I know that leather can get bunched up and pull triggers, etc. Know your gear, and use what best fits your skill and knowledge. If you want to venture into something else, train for it. That's why we are responsible gun-owners.

Saying that you don't want to wear an AIWB because, arteries, is basically playing into the arguments that the left uses about guns killing people. Holstering your pistol is not going to magically make it discharge...unless YOU are in error.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#31]
It seems the topic of appendix carry is very polarizing with opponents saying you will shoot yourself and proponents some anyway suggesting anyone who doesn't is some incompetent old fool. Every carry method has a place and will work for some people and not others. I myself based on my body shape and torso length and wear I naturally have my beltline it simply doesn't work for me. I have tried with very good quality purpose designed holsters and it just wan not my thing. If it works for someone else I wouldn't see an issue at all
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#32]
My thoughts.. I carried IWB at the 3 O"clock for years.. was shy about trying AIWB. I tried a lot of holsters when I first carried. Settled on the Raven Vanguard as it gave me the most options.
I started carrying AWIB about 2 years ago for the summer and loved it. I can wear a T-shirt or Button Shirt and shorts and carry all day (G19).
Since I use a Vanguard, which is not designed to be re holstered while wearing it. I do not have any issues. I still practice AIWB at the range, I just take my time when I re holster.

It is another tool in your tool box. I do consider my self a bit more experienced so I feel that it is not a good carry method for a new shooter just learning how to draw and carry.

And I can understand why trainers don't like it in their classes. You have no clue the skill level of your students. And like all things firearms related, most students are over confident in there skills and would never be that honest in a class.  

Body style is another big consideration as well. Like anything, try it out at home dry for awhile until you feel you're ready. AIWB has been a carry style for a long time. It just picked up a new fancy name (Appendix carry). cause it sounds better then Mexican carry.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Two words..

femoral artery!
View Quote
This. You already are pointing a gun at important places. And you have been doing it for a while.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 1:59:03 AM EDT
[#34]
YouTube - look up Lucky Gunner.  Watch their vids on AIWB.  Good info and great instruction.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 9:25:58 AM EDT
[#35]
I've been using appendix carry exclusively for over 6 years for about 8 to 14 hours a day when I'm working, sometimes longer.  If you're concerned about reholstering then use a handgun that has a hammer.  Thumb firmly down on the hammer while putting the gun back into the holster.  Use only kydex if you are using a striker fired gun and don't use a gun with an altered/aftermarket trigger etc.  I use to wear t-shirts under another shirt to keep the holster from being on my skin but have stopped since they become untucked and can get down into the holster when you try to put the gun back in.  If you use only one shirt then when you lift the shirt to either draw or put the gun back in the it easy to keep your clothing out and away from the holster.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#36]
I have appendix carried exclusively for over three decades. Haven't bled out and still have both my balls.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 9:56:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fla556guy] [#37]
Get a holster with a clip.  Remove holster.  Insert pistol.  Put holster back on belt.

Don't be taking it on/off.  If you are doing a lot of drawing (and not practicing for drawing from appendix, specifically), use a proper holster.  Appendix holsters are "carry a lot, only pull if you need" sort of thing (outside of practicing the draw).  But yeah, removing the holster from your belt and putting the pistol in it negates the reholstering problem.

Otherwise, make sure your weapon is in good condition/function checks.  Use a high-quality kydex holster (it will tell you when it's broken because kydex is either broken or not, there's no sliding scale like with leather).

Make sure holster completely covers trigger guard.

A striker control device would make it even safer, but honestly, unless you are LEO there's not really a reason why you need to be reholstering quickly.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 12:50:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Xhado] [#38]
@fla556guy
Originally Posted By fla556guy:
Get a holster with a clip.  Remove holster.  Insert pistol.  Put holster back on belt.
View Quote
Ain't no one have time for that.

Newsflash, I can draw and reholster from AIWB without flagging myself.

If you can't safely reholster to AIWB then you shouldn't carry AIWB until you've been properly trained.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 1:02:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Xhado:
@fla556guy

If you can't safely reholster to AIWB then you shouldn't carry AIWB until you've been properly trained.
View Quote
You are conflating a suggestion for avoiding the issue in a way that some may find utility in with my having issues with it myself.

If someone is wanting to see if it's for them (before they devote time to training/etc), my suggestion holds weight by removing the problematic action of reholstering (arguably where most people ND by being flippant about where their flippers are).

If AIWB is agreeable to them, the investment in time/money in getting training would be a better investment.

Go ahead and rock on though with a presumption not rooted in anything besides my throwing a suggestion out there.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Xhado:
@fla556guy

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#41]
This thread is kind of old at this point.

I appendix carry now and have for quite a while. People shooting themselves is rare enough as it is. Even then, it is usually when trying to reholster quickly. There is nothing useful about reholstering quickly. I draw and fire quickly. Then as instructed, I reholster slowly and deliberately, and carefully. I'm comfortable with this. I frequently practice only drawstrokes and reholstering with an unloaded gun. That way when I am doing live fire I am doing it properly.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Its like anything else, PRACTICE.

Use a blue gun or unloaded pistol to practice drawing until your confortable.

When it comes time to holster, remove holster from waistband first, holster pistol, then slide holster back into the waistband.

That goes double for any leather holster because the leather warps over time and reholstering with holster in waistband can cause leather holster to ride into trigger guard causing an ND and goodbye dick.

Obviously this would require a holster that is clipped IWB not belt loops.

Dont worry about reholstering in an actual self defense situation, your not going to be worried about reholstering your gun. Focus on neutralizing the immediate threat then scanning for secondary threats.

The only time your gonna be drawing and holstering is at the range, which in that case get you a kydex holster to practice with and develop STRICT discipline with your trigger finger.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 1:05:03 AM EDT
[#43]
No.

I'll reholster slowly and deliberately just like I've already done thousands of times without accidentally shooting my gun.  That's why I practice.

Is there some rash of trained people shooting themselves after using their gun in self defense?
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#44]
No.

I'll reholster slowly and deliberately just like I've already done thousands of times without accidentally shooting my gun.  That's why I practice.

Is there some rash of trained people shooting themselves after using their gun in self defense?
View Quote
I don't know how common it is, but I do know there are a lot of people who seem to think that your re-holster has to be as fast as your draw. I'd be willing to bet that contributes to NDs/ADs (whatever you choose to call them) when re-holstering.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

Great thoughts.

I honestly don't get how people have NDs in appendix carry. Using a Glock, how in the world, can you somehow get something in the trigger guard that is hard and firm enough that it is enough to engage the trigger safety on the Glock and fully detonate the Glock. If you're not looking at the holster while you re-holster, for which you have already swept your clothing out of the way, then you are incurring great risk to yourself.

Originally Posted By BDinNC:
Having young kids around, I don't carry with one in the chamber anymore.

any training I do now is with the gun in that condition as well.  racking the slide is like second nature at this point.

yeah i know its not ideal but the tradeoff mitigates a lot of the risks.  This is one of them.
I really don't follow your logic. How does that protect your children? Is your weapon laying around the house? Your firearms should either be secured, inaccessible, or on your person, in which case, they should be loaded with a round in the chamber.

There are numerous LiveLeak videos of people getting shot as they're trying to chamber rounds in their guns.

The time margins are so short on how quickly a gun needs to be brought into play during a lethal force incident, I just cannot imagine adding the additional step of racking a round in the chamber.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Britbiker:
There is a reason or two most of the better known trainers and training academies / schools etc. do not allow it in their classes / course.....maybe they are all wrong? Maybe.  I personally feel the negatives such as its uncomfortable, points the gun at the femoral and nuts etc.,....out weighs the positives, it's fast and conceals the gun well.  I personally find a 4 o'clock carry is just as fast, just as concealable, much more comfortable, and just as fast.....for me. I do realize that body dynamics play a role, o we must all do what is best for us. I do not think its an ALL or NOTHING option.
View Quote
The reason is that the bottom 10-15% Joe Fudds that roll up into a class are likely clinically retarded, unskilled, and lacking practice, so then start pushing their limits under stress, and they're going to make errors and/or not know how to operate their equipment.

Classes have to keep in mind the lowest common denominator.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By BurtSaun1049:

The reason is that the bottom 10-15% Joe Fudds that roll up into a class are likely clinically retarded, unskilled, and lacking practice, so then start pushing their limits under stress, and they're going to make errors and/or not know how to operate their equipment.

Classes have to keep in mind the lowest common denominator.
View Quote
There's a nugget of truth if there ever was one. Instructors have to do their best to ensure a safe training environment for their students. If you train a bunch of people you don't personally know, all kinds of variables enter the equation. It's the same reason many trainers won't allow students straight into more advanced courses without proof of training; and why many ranges don't allow any type of rapid fire or drawing from a holster at all. When I run classes, I believe a have a pretty clear responsibility to my students to ensure that they walk out at least in the same [physical] condition they arrived; and hopefully more skilled. Unfortunately, it's a fact of life.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By CarnageXIII:
Its like anything else, PRACTICE.

Use a blue gun or unloaded pistol to practice drawing until your confortable.

When it comes time to holster, remove holster from waistband first, holster pistol, then slide holster back into the waistband.

That goes double for any leather holster because the leather warps over time and reholstering with holster in waistband can cause leather holster to ride into trigger guard causing an ND and goodbye dick.

Obviously this would require a holster that is clipped IWB not belt loops.

Dont worry about reholstering in an actual self defense situation, your not going to be worried about reholstering your gun. Focus on neutralizing the immediate threat then scanning for secondary threats.

The only time your gonna be drawing and holstering is at the range, which in that case get you a kydex holster to practice with and develop STRICT discipline with your trigger finger.
View Quote
Lots of reasons to reholster like applying a tourniquet or giving aid to someone else, opening a door or moving obstacles so you or others can egress.   You'll also want to reholster if you're in a public setting (threats neutralized) but there's a chance the police were called about an active shooter or a guy with a gun - now you're the guy with a gun so put it back in the holster and show your hands.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 12:49:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#49]
This has been done to death and an odd thread to necro.

If you're pointing it at yourself you're an idiot.

If you speed jam the pistol back in the holster to look cool you're an idiot.

You have better control up front with both hands.

I can stop anything from entering my holster at 1 o'clock AND I can 100% visualize the holster opening.

In a crowd I'm not going to have issues. Which is easier to pick, front pocket or rear? Why?

I've fallen asleep on the floor prone with a G17 AIWB.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote
@gunz4me

Hitchhiker by Dark Star Gear, you won't regret it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Appendix carry concerns. (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top