Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2011 8:02:09 PM EDT
Ok guys so i have been kinda blowing this site up lately with all my posts.
One more question.
I am buying a model 700 sps this weekend and I am going to start dropping cash into it.
But I started thanking, I have a RRA LAR-8 16 inch, and if i am going to be learning long range why not set up both guns.
I have the money so do small upgrades. so to the question.

If i were to change the barrel on my rra to a 20 bull barrel would it be adequate for shooting up to 1000 yards.
A barrel will run me about 300, the weapon already has a two stage trigger and i have acs stock and a rail on it, what al would i have to do to make this weapon a
semi-auto long range system, or should i not even think about going there.

thanks for any advice.

Link Posted: 12/5/2011 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#1]
shooting what?... targets?
what load do you use now?

do you know your FPS?
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Should not be a problem with a 16" barrel given the correct ammo. FGMM 175grain would do it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:51:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bigkahuna48026] [#3]
If it were my project I would add a SWFA Scope and a Harris bipod in addition to barrel.   You'll need about 12.5 mils of elevation to get 1000 yd, assuming MV of 2600 fps
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#4]
My 20" RRA LAR-8 is VERY accurate for a semi-auto rifle.  

RRA advertises 1" groups at 100 with match ammo

I think with a free float fore end and the right optic (hint - cheap & accurate rarely are the same) it should perform as well as a bolt gun at distances.

The biggest issue is going to be ranging.  Most people suck are not good at being able to determine if an object is 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900 or 1000 feet away using the eyeball.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#5]
With a 1/10" twist shooting 175's from a 20" barrel, yes, especially at higher altitudes.

Those guns are monstrously long though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top