Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2017 10:48:05 PM EDT
Seems like the current trend is that it's a pay your money and get a card. I was an instructor in the early 90s right before the change to pass everyone started.
Example. ACLS initial course was 2 days. Good solid lectures and good hands on experience at various stations. Then testing on each station.
Maybe it was overkill. And if you wanted to be an instructor you had to tell them at the beginning so they could pimp you extra hard to assess for "instructor potential".
?
So, my advice for those seeking training in these areas?  Take your initial course with paramedic trainers. Preferably, with paramedic students. The paramedics still take ACLS/PALS etc. very seriously. The paramedic students get pimped brutally and ran through the ringer. That is good. For your renewal courses? If you use ACLS/PALS/BCLS routinely continue to use quality instructors and put in the time. If you rarely if ever use it? I guess pay one of the scam instructors to give you a card.

I catch grief at work as I take a full day to renew instead of paying one of the scam instructors in our dept.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#1]
No argument here.  The line the instructors liked to use was that there would always be help around if there was a code so why stress too much in class...which is fine unless everyone at the code had the same class.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:12:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I took the new PALS a couple of weeks ago at my facility. It was open book and open note. Holy shit, and people still fail.
On top of that it seems ACLS and PALS have gotten easier every couple of years.....
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:16:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:43:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AGW] [#5]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#6]
It's true that we do dump the cookbook and use our own assessment and intervention. Example--knowing the patient just came from the OR and lost 1500 of blood and has had low urine output, of course you will go to volume right away.

I do like that ACLS pounds it into people to perform cpr and bag patient along with reassessment and trying other interventions.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Spray and pray.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#8]
That's surprising. I usually take it from the local helicopter medical service (Air Evac) and they don't make it easy. If I wasted time and money on a gimme course and didn't feel challenged I'd be pretty irritated.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Local healthcare system recently switched to a quarterly renewal of BLS/ACLS which is great IMO. Hopefully we see improved response times.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Acls is just another sacred cow that isn't the golden idol it's made out to be.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:20:27 PM EDT
[#11]
If your department's instructors are pencil whipping your co-workers, you might want to consider passing that up to the regional coordinator.  Recerts are required to spend X hours training, have Y instructors per Z students, etc.  A regional coordinator can make heads roll since it's their job to make sure people aren't doing pay-to-win.  If it bothers you that much.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:20:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By EvanWilliams:
If you rarely if ever use it? I guess pay one of the scam instructors to give you a card.
View Quote

During residency the powers that be decided all residents, ALL OF THEM, needed to be ACLS certified.

I tried to argue that this represented a conflict of interest for the pathology residents, but since none of the other path residents liked autopsies I got no traction.

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:26:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Polupharmakos:

During residency the powers that be decided all residents, ALL OF THEM, needed to be ACLS certified.

I tried to argue that this represented a conflict of interest for the pathology residents, but since none of the other path residents liked autopsies I got no traction.

View Quote

LOL!!!!!!

A path resident once found himself near a code. I was intubating the patient. I saw the guy later and said what the hell were you doing? He said "drumming up business!!'
That was years ago, I still see the guy around the hospital. He is an attending now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:11:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 5:40:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bestiller] [#17]
I've practiced anesthesia for the last 17 years and couldn't tell you the last time I actually "took" a BLS/ACLS/PALS/ test. It really used to be a resume builder in 90s but a lot of instructors started realizing how much more $ was in just "selling" the cards. Just my .02
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:24:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:04:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EvanWilliams] [#19]
Originally Posted By bestiller:
I've practiced anesthesia for the last 17 years and couldn't tell you the last time I actually "took" a BLS/ACLS/PALS/ test. It really used to be a resume builder in 90s but a lot of instructors started realizing how much more $ was in just "selling" the cards. Just my .02
View Quote
I was an instructor in the early 90s
Word came down to change the culture
I stopped being an instructor.   We smoked people and double so in the instructor course
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:29:24 PM EDT
[#20]
TLDR;

ACLS/PALS here. It's gotten simpler every time they change it. I'm not complaining.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Yep. AHA's RQI program. It's a pain in the ass, but I can get paid to do it. Doesn't bother me.

I don't think it'll make much of an impact in the ICUs since most are on top of their game. On the floor is a different story,  especially when everyone is new and you're the only one with ACLS
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By AGW:
FWIW, I don't think ACLS is easier today because it's been dumbed down for the sake of dumber participants.  I just think it gets distilled further down every 5 years to the things that have actually been proven to work (or removes things that have been shown to cause harm or no net benefit).  The fact is it's just not that complicated to code someone the majority of the time.
View Quote
This right here.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
A lot of truth to that.  I know of a local place that will give you all three in one hour for $500.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bestiller:
A lot of truth to that.  I know of a local place that will give you all three in one hour for $500.
There's so many places like that though, which one is it?

WHAT WEBSITE THOUGH - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Nate19:

This right here.
View Quote
I always joke that before long ACLS will be nothing but compressions with an advanced airway. Shockable rhythms when apparent.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:47:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#25]
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 3:42:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nick89302] [#26]
I start out most of my classes with a joke along those lines:  Once we boil the evidence based science down we're left with compressions and defib: BLS.  Anyone want to give up on ACLS and go for pancakes?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BillyDoubleU:

I always joke that before long ACLS will be nothing but compressions with an advanced airway. Shockable rhythms when apparent.
I start out most of my classes with a joke along those lines:  Once we boil the evidence based science down we're left with compressions and defib: BLS.  Anyone want to give up on ACLS and go for pancakes?  
It's only funny because it's true. When you get off the algorithm, that's the "advanced" part. They need to teach a BLS algorithm and and ALS algorithm for the HCP and refocus ACLS on addressing the unusual cases.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#28]
I wasn't sure where else to put this. I feel here is appropriate.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top