Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2016 1:19:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 1:39:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
We were discussing this in ACLS yesterday.  Sadly, most of the nurses that come through my classes can barely read a 3 lead ECG let alone a 12.
View Quote

Should be pretty basic but surprisingly they don't. I work Ed and we're a certified chest pain center.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#3]
We were discussing this in ACLS yesterday.  Sadly, most of the nurses that come through my classes can barely read a 3 lead ECG let alone a 12.
View Quote

My wife's a nurse (I'm an EMT) and yeah I can attest to this. I'm actually shocked by how much I can do and know vs her. I went through a quick 6hr crash course on EKG at EMSA, but what are some good references would everyone recommend for learning this type of stuff better?
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 11:45:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 1:27:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AGW] [#5]
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 5:27:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Well to be honest I don't fault her. When I was learning my trade, I was just more or less shocked because I guess I assumed she was taught more than she (LPN) was.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 5:28:49 AM EDT
[#7]

For regular ECGs I like ECGs Made Easy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Taktiq:

My wife's a nurse (I'm an EMT) and yeah I can attest to this. I'm actually shocked by how much I can do and know vs her. I went through a quick 6hr crash course on EKG at EMSA, but what are some good references would everyone recommend for learning this type of stuff better?

For regular ECGs I like ECGs Made Easy.

Thanks, I'll have to check that out
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:43:16 PM EDT
[#8]
ACLS used to mean something. Everyone passes now.  I spent a long time working on EKGs just for ACLS.  

I was an instructor back when we failed people left and right and had them come back sunday to remediate and maybe still fail.

Excellent teaching point, OP.  

We would ask---"when might you not give nitrates?"  and talk about low BP, cardiogenic shock and inferior MI.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top