Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2016 10:26:05 PM EDT
First, thank you in advance for any help or input into this. I just want to note, that I simply want to make sure that I am versed enough to maintain or stabilize an individual in the event that medical professionals are not immediately near, or injuries are significant enough that require immediate rescue attempts.

With that said, below are a few of the injuries that when I researched online, seem to be complex enough that prior knowledge is necessary to even attempt to begin an attempt to rescue. BLUF: I do not want to hinder the medical professionals when they reach the victim, but want to help if the situation deems that necessary.

1. Amputations (When to use/how to use a tourniquet?)
2. Gunshot wounds
3. SCIs (Possible paralysis - what if someone MUST be moved to a safe location but may have a SCI?)

QUESTION: Are there medical training opportunities or firms that offer this to the general public?

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Would something like John Farnam's "Tactical Treatment of Gunshot Wounds" work for you?

The schedule shows four dates this year for that class.

http://defense-training.com/training-courses/#ttgsw2

Our course is primarily for firearm instructors, home owners/defenders and police officers any of whom may suddenly find themselves in the position of providing initial care and stabilization of a gunshot wound victim.

Our course is based upon Tactical Medicine principles, but while TacMed is designed for military/police tactical entry team members with specialized medical training, our course is for non-medical personnel who may become involved as primary responders to treat and stabilize victims of gunshot wounds. Originally designed primarily for firearm instructors, home owners/defenders and street police officers, we have also given this course to Federal and Local Law Enforcement Emergency Response Teams and as a Train-the-Trainer program for elements of the United States Marine Corps.

This is a shooting course combined with what you need to do immediately afterward to increase the survivability of gunshot wound victims, including yourself. Important topics include the Effects of Bullets on Human Tissue, Where to Shoot and How to Place Bullets with Surgical Precision. Following Threat Elimination, we teach How to Identify the three, major, life-threatening Injuries and How to Control Hemorrhage which is the major cause of preventable death from gunshot wounds. Accessing Emergency Medical Services and Maintaining an Emergency GSW Response Kit is also covered.

We think Tactical Treatment of Gunshot Wounds is an important skill that should be part of every shooter’s armament.
Course curriculum is developed by Doc Gunn aka Anthony M. Barrera, M.D., and instructed by John S. Farnam.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:21:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lvcipriani:
Would something like John Farnam's "Tactical Treatment of Gunshot Wounds" work for you?

The schedule shows four dates this year for that class.

http://defense-training.com/training-courses/#ttgsw2

Our course is primarily for firearm instructors, home owners/defenders and police officers any of whom may suddenly find themselves in the position of providing initial care and stabilization of a gunshot wound victim.

Our course is based upon Tactical Medicine principles, but while TacMed is designed for military/police tactical entry team members with specialized medical training, our course is for non-medical personnel who may become involved as primary responders to treat and stabilize victims of gunshot wounds. Originally designed primarily for firearm instructors, home owners/defenders and street police officers, we have also given this course to Federal and Local Law Enforcement Emergency Response Teams and as a Train-the-Trainer program for elements of the United States Marine Corps.

This is a shooting course combined with what you need to do immediately afterward to increase the survivability of gunshot wound victims, including yourself. Important topics include the Effects of Bullets on Human Tissue, Where to Shoot and How to Place Bullets with Surgical Precision. Following Threat Elimination, we teach How to Identify the three, major, life-threatening Injuries and How to Control Hemorrhage which is the major cause of preventable death from gunshot wounds. Accessing Emergency Medical Services and Maintaining an Emergency GSW Response Kit is also covered.

We think Tactical Treatment of Gunshot Wounds is an important skill that should be part of every shooter’s armament.
Course curriculum is developed by Doc Gunn aka Anthony M. Barrera, M.D., and instructed by John S. Farnam.
View Quote

No chance you are ever in the MD/DC/VA area?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By phinfanfrommd:
No chance you are ever in the MD/DC/VA area?
View Quote

I'm not John Farnam.

John travels all over the US doing training; sometimes he'll add a class to the schedule if there's enough interest to make it worthwhile.
Give him a call / email and see what he has to say about a class local to you.

http://defense-training.com/contact/
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:00:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#5]
OP

Try finding a TCCC or TECC course. They have become popular and may provide you with the information you seek.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#7]
As previously mentioned, your best bet would be to take a first responder or EMT course, theyre offered online and prices vary a LOT.

AHA also has basic first aid courses and cpr courses....i think everyone should at least get those under their belt. Then if you wan to further your knowledge, have at it! If you want informal, half price books usually has EMT textbooks for cheap cheap and you can read that and get a pretty good understandng of things, although skill practice is vital.

I think this all hinges on: what do you want to be able to do?

If you want a crash course on the 3 injury patterns you mentioned, i can hit on those for you and tell you what to expect when EMS shows up and see's a TQ in place or a bandaged GSW (or at least in my neck of the woods )

If you want to be able to treat them in a scenario where there is no medical care close, that is a different animal.

I dont know the mod or the few guys that ive seen posting frequently in these threads, but what little ive read from their posts, either way, you're in good hands.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Check with your local PD their are some interesting programs that the government are implementing threw PD on active shooter responses and have good basics on medical responses .   Each department will vary on the information avaliable and how it's presented so YMMV...
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 11:46:42 PM EDT
[#10]
i would look at some of the wilderness medic courses that teach a lot of these techniques.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#11]
look at wilderness medicine courses
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:35:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:09:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Have you checked out Crisis Application Group based in Conyers, Georgia? They have a level 1 & 2 trauma class.

www.cagmain.com
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:17:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By alco141:
i would look at some of the wilderness medic courses that teach a lot of these techniques.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

look at wilderness medicine courses

NOLS WFR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top