Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/23/2016 12:12:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EvanWilliams]
Ask your nurse anesthesia school questions here.  

ETA::::Maybe not appropriate for this forum.  Mod feel free to move to GD as you see fit.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:33:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ruger556boy] [#1]
Originally Posted By EvanWilliams:

View Quote

How much a hour?  My wife knows people who bill in the mid 200s.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ruger556boy:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ruger556boy:

Well, salary varies by region.
New grad in Texas could start out 115k-135k
A few years in 150k-170k
10-20 years can be 200.

Then you have 1099 jobs vs w-2 jobs
Obviously, a w-2 is less as you have your taxes withdrawn and usually benefits included.
1099 you pay your taxes, OASDI, FICA etc as well,as your benefits.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Where do you work?

Im 4 semesters into school right now. DEFINITELY looking forward to graduating at this point!
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:18:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thisisdudewhoru] [#4]
Finish my rn this may. Already looking into VCU. I feel like my affinity and background in chemistry(1 semester from bs Chem when I decided on nursing school) call me to anesthesia.

Got my interview for the CVICU coming up and should be pretty much a shoe in. I'm precepting with the charge nurse of 8 years who seems pretty fond of me....

Have a friend and a friend of a friend who are less than 5yrs done and both claim over 200k

Any other good things to do that look good on resume for application process?
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 11:15:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:

We require BLS/ACLS/PALS for credentialing.  Knock those out if you have time.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thisisdudewhoru:
Finish my rn this may. Already looking into VCU. I feel like my affinity and background in chemistry(1 semester from bs Chem when I decided on nursing school) call me to anesthesia.

Got my interview for the CVICU coming up and should be pretty much a shoe in. I'm precepting with the charge nurse of 8 years who seems pretty fond of me....

Have a friend and a friend of a friend who are less than 5yrs done and both claim over 200k

Any other good things to do that look good on resume for application process?

We require BLS/ACLS/PALS for credentialing.  Knock those out if you have time.

Iirc when they came to recruit, they were supplied and required for icu jobs.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:56:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MattR] [#7]
They like a CCRN. Make sure you look at material for the GRE ahead of time too. It was mainly high school stuff that I forgot. Interviews are the hard part, and you have to be well prepared for the drilling.

While the CVICU seems like a "big shot" for complicated care, its not the best prep for school material. I'm not sure how well it preps you for real world anesthesia as I'm still in school. My best friend in school worked in one of Houston's largest CVICU's and had great experience from there. Unfortunately, he never worked medical or surgical ICU rotations (other than CV) and is EXTREMELY limited in his skills/knowledge set. He's a super smart guy but gripes about that quite a bit.

Take the extra effort and learn vents well, the different settings and effects of diseases/treatment. That has been a big plus for me. I also got PICC certified and did 100-150 a year while working. It has helped me quite a bit too, both with sticks and with ultrasound guidance. Also, once you get in, try and see if the hospital will pay/help you go to NTI. I tried to go every year and it was a big plus for me.

ETA: I wrote a protocol and proposal for a research project while working. At the time of my interview, it was proceeding well and they LOVED that. Unfortunately I lost funding AND my sponsor, but that has ended up working in my favor because of the prep I did (on paid time) is now going to be transferred to my capstone!
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:06:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thisisdudewhoru] [#8]
Originally Posted By MattR:
They like a CCRN. Make sure you look at material for the GRE ahead of time too. It was mainly high school stuff that I forgot. Interviews are the hard part, and you have to be well prepared for the drilling.

While the CVICU seems like a "big shot" for complicated care, its not the best prep for school material. I'm not sure how well it preps you for real world anesthesia as I'm still in school. My best friend in school worked in one of Houston's largest CVICU's and had great experience from there. Unfortunately, he never worked medical or surgical ICU rotations (other than CV) and is EXTREMELY limited in his skills/knowledge set. He's a super smart guy but gripes about that quite a bit.

Take the extra effort and learn vents well, the different settings and effects of diseases/treatment. That has been a big plus for me. I also got PICC certified and did 100-150 a year while working. It has helped me quite a bit too, both with sticks and with ultrasound guidance. Also, once you get in, try and see if the hospital will pay/help you go to NTI. I tried to go every year and it was a big plus for me.

ETA: I wrote a protocol and proposal for a research project while working. At the time of my interview, it was proceeding well and they LOVED that. Unfortunately I lost funding AND my sponsor, but that has ended up working in my favor because of the prep I did (on paid time) is now going to be transferred to my capstone!
View Quote

Thanks for the advice. I think I would be ok on GRE. I'm only 8 years out of hs and have been going to college non stop since. They're saying I'll get to float a bit. The cv here supposedly is the best in our area and everything heart comes here. 2 of the nurses are in the program and vcu seemed to love that they were CV. Every time I've been down there 60-70% have been vents. I'll look into picc certification. I've not seen any rn's here do them.

Hell I wouldn't know where to start on research projects
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:21:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Thanks for the advice. I think I would be ok on GRE. I'm only 8 years out of hs and have been going to college non stop since. They're saying I'll get to float a bit. The cv here supposedly is the best in our area and everything heart comes here. 2 of the nurses are in the program and vcu seemed to love that they were CV. Every time I've been down there 60-70% have been vents. I'll look into picc certification. I've not seen any rn's here do them.

View All Quotes

Well, with all of the programs switching to doctorate programs, research is a big focus. Also, the COA is trying to make CRNA programs more "APRN" like, making us take classes with NPs and such. I don't know how I feel about the last part. And I was the same, took it in 2013 and graduated HS in 2006. I promise, its material that you tucked in deep and haven't seen haha.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#11]
My biggest thing is I'm highly interested and know it's something I'd like doing but will I like it the rest of my life? Np option kinda gives me room to bounce around for variety.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#12]
My biggest thing is I'm highly interested and know it's something I'd like doing but will I like it the rest of my life? Np option kinda gives me room to bounce around for variety.
View Quote

I don't know about your area, but NP's don't make significantly more than I was making as a nurse in my city. Factor in 20% shift diff, 25% weekend diff, holidays and OT and you are within the monthly student loan payment haha.

It's not as limited as you would think from the clinical sites I've been to. You can specialize or do fairly general work, pain in some states as well. Although, if you like ICU, the ACNP direction seems fun
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#13]

I don't know about your area, but NP's don't make significantly more than I was making as a nurse in my city. Factor in 20% shift diff, 25% weekend diff, holidays and OT and you are within the monthly student loan payment haha.

It's not as limited as you would think from the clinical sites I've been to. You can specialize or do fairly general work, pain in some states as well. Although, if you like ICU, the ACNP direction seems fun
View All Quotes

We have night shift diff here that is like $4. But no weekend diff that we've been told about. Holidays and ot are good though. But 3 of my friends just graduated np and 2/3 starting at $115k area. The third at $95k.

Starting pay for a new grad rn with no crit care diffs, night shift diff, additional certifications or no prior medical experience is $18.50/hr.....
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

I loved ER nursing
I liked ICU nursing
I love the work of anesthesia. The people, less so.
Anesthesia people usually leave feet first.   It's a fun job

I'm atypical so you can't judge by me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Where do you work?

Im 4 semesters into school right now. DEFINITELY looking forward to graduating at this point!
View Quote

Dallas
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By joker581:
Tag. I'm a few years out from even being able to apply, but I'm always happy to get more info.
View Quote

One step at a time.
Sorry about being a good ICU nurse
Then a good applicant
Then a good student
You will arrive at being a good anesthetist.  
Multiple small wins.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 2:08:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MattR] [#17]

We have night shift diff here that is like $4. But no weekend diff that we've been told about. Holidays and ot are good though. But 3 of my friends just graduated np and 2/3 starting at $115k area. The third at $95k.

Starting pay for a new grad rn with no crit care diffs, night shift diff, additional certifications or no prior medical experience is $18.50/hr.....
View All Quotes

Wow, I was at $36/hr base the last year I worked. With all diffs worked in and OT/Call (for PICCs, not a ton) I made over 85k. And thats in Louisiana?
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Wow, I was at $36/hr base the last year I worked. With all diffs worked in and OT/Call (for PICCs, not a ton) I made over 85k. And thats in Louisiana?
View All Quotes

Damn, we're getting screwed up here. Hell one company owns pretty much all 10 hospitals in a 60 mile radius of here except 2 and they're gonna get bought out
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#19]

I loved ER nursing
I liked ICU nursing

View All Quotes

I loved ER nursing
I liked ICU nursing

Being responsible for hanging someone in a fine balance brings me great excitement
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:25:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Being responsible for hanging someone in a fine balance brings me great excitement
View All Quotes

I loved ER nursing
I liked ICU nursing

You may enjoy anesthesia.  
You will work with some real POS anesthesia people, I warn you.
But, it's a good job.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:48:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thisisdudewhoru] [#21]

But, it's a good job.
View All Quotes

I loved ER nursing
I liked ICU nursing

But, it's a good job.

I also absolutely loved gen Chem and organic labs titrating things managing reactions. And I've also loved pharmacology.
And from what I've seen in the OR, my wife's epi and assisting a md with a femoral central line insertion, I think I'd love it.

Currently waiting on hearing back from my interview with an ICU at one of the 2 bigger hospitals here.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#22]

But, it's a good job.
View Quote

I'd like to hear the expanded version of this.  I don't hang out with the anesthesia crew, so I don't really know what you mean.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#23]
..meanwhile, there's me - hating being an RN and looking for any route out of the medical field.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Nate19:
..meanwhile, there's me - hating being an RN and looking for any route out of the medical field.
View Quote

I felt that way for a while, it all depends on the job that you get/company you work for.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:39:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EvanWilliams] [#25]
Originally Posted By Justa_TXguy:

I'd like to hear the expanded version of this.  I don't hang out with the anesthesia crew, so I don't really knowwhat you mean.
View All Quotes

But, it's a good job.

I'd like to hear the expanded version of this.  I don't hang out with the anesthesia crew, so I don't really knowwhat you mean.

There is a significant population of the anesthesia world who are constantly doing a calculus on how can I do the least work for the most money. The other 5 percent of the time left over from that is used on trying to get more time off (paid if possible).  
To people who have actually worked for a living (I cut grass, washed dishes etc. etc. ) they are lazy, entitled scum with no loyalty to anything but themselves and can't be trusted to do the right thing when nobody is watching.  

It's a great job but a significant percentage of the people are unimpressive.
Many of them, money was their only motivation for anesthesia.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:40:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Nate19:
View Quote

You just need a different job.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:44:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Now. To stay on topic--sort of.  
MOD--Feel free to move this thread out to GD if appropriate.

Training.  

ICU---I recommend SICU or Trauma. Others say the open heart ICU is best as you have alot of titrating of hemodynamic drips.  
I was an ER nurse also but many programs don't accept that.

I recommend taking the CCRN certification exam if you want into nurse anesthesia as some programs require it.
I never took it but I did pass the CEN (ER nursing).

Start working on GRE test prep. They want that crap as well.  Where I went the Miller Analogies Test was fine.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

We probably have LPNs making $18. I made $13 when I was an LPN 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:20:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Well, I got one step out of the way. Got my RN license today and an SICU job lined up.
View All Quotes

One step at a time.
Sorry about being a good ICU nurse
Then a good applicant
Then a good student
You will arrive at being a good anesthetist.  
Multiple small wins.

Well, I got one step out of the way. Got my RN license today and an SICU job lined up.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

SICU is great!!!!!

It can be really fun. Anything I can do to help, don't hesitate.  

If you want some reading---The ICU Book by Paul Marino is a great book. Can't recommend it enough.
Best wishes and good luck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:55:15 PM EDT
[#31]

SICU is great!!!!!

If you want some reading---The ICU Book by Paul Marino is a great book. Can't recommend it enough.
View Quote

I like the new avatar pic!

And the ICU book is a great read for ICU nurses. Levitsky's Pulmonary Physiology is a small book to get through, too!
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#32]

And the ICU book is a great read for ICU nurses. Levitsky's Pulmonary Physiology is a small book to get through, too!
View All Quotes

SICU is great!!!!!

My dumb old ass has forgotten what little I knew.
We had a little Pulm Physiology book by West that made it simple for us.
I'll look up Levitsky.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#33]
How old are you and what was your GPA
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:37:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Lakemoor:
How old are you and what was your GPA
View Quote

me?

I'm 46. I graduated nursing school in the early 90s. Went to anesthesia school in mid 2000s. So, it's dated.
My GPA was 3.45. 96 walked in, four years later 20 graduated. They actively weeded out people.You could pass academically but they would fail you clinically. And by fail I mean that if there were 50 students that semester and next semester they were planning on 40 students,  then bottom 10 clinical performers were cut-regardless of academic scores.
Mentality was different in healthcare back then.
I don't think they care about now. I think most nursing schools and colleges in general want asses in seats and tuition money.

Anesthesia school admissions? I had taken extra chemistry and other stuff as an undergrad. I think if you can pull off some extra chemistry and physics and do well, they figure you won't flunk out. I did well on the Miller Analogies Test. But, my program was very small and had a unique set up. They were interested in different things. I had worked at two solid university hospitals in good units. And for 12 years. They were pretty sure I could handle pressure.

I would not get in to many anesthesia schools now.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
Damn that sucks. Not sure I would have started school if that was my starting pay.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Now. To stay on topic--sort of.  
MOD--Feel free to move this thread out to GD if appropriate.

Training.  

ICU---I recommend SICU or Trauma. Others say the open heart ICU is best as you have alot of titrating of hemodynamic drips.  
I was an ER nurse also but many programs don't accept that.

I recommend taking the CCRN certification exam if you want into nurse anesthesia as some programs require it.
I never took it but I did pass the CEN (ER nursing).

Start working on GRE test prep. They want that crap as well.  Where I went the Miller Analogies Test was fine.
View Quote
How do you get from new grad RN to SICU?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote
Oh, just like that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By BigeasySnow:

Oh, just like that.
View Quote
A couple classmates went there first. They were CNAs on the floor and got hired before they even graduated.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:51:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EvanWilliams] [#40]
Originally Posted By BigeasySnow:

How do you get from new grad RN to SICU?
View Quote
That was 1993.  As a senior nursing student  I took ACLS and made instructor potential ( ACLS and especially IP actually took some effort back then)
I had worked as a nursing tech for 3 years during college ( different hospital)
Working as a tech back then
Was tough. 20ish patients--you bathe/ shave , brush teeth and shampoo change bed on 1/3 of them in 8 hours. You also clean up all the patients who need it, vitals q4 on them all, get people up, put them to bed, finger sticks, weights, I+O. Bath and prep shave anyone going to surgery and maybe put in foley
and
Anything else the RNs tell you to do. 8 hr shift
We would have been fired if our patients looked the way patients look in hospitals now. Disgusting.

So, they knew one thing for sure about me --I wasn't lazy and
I wasn't a
Quitter. And those of us who had been techs worked circles around those who worked at the bookstore etc

The university of Alabama hospital had 158 icu beds back then and attrition was high.
More than one RN was let go/transferred for locking themselves in a bathroom and crying and refusing to come out
Fuck ups that get an email today for you screamed at in profane language. Errors that resulted in harm and had a hint of carelessness attached
Fired.
Not saying you couldn't fuxk up but you damn well better be truly contrite and it really helped if it was something beyond your experience that bit you.

TL;DR
Have
A work history that shows work ethic and not a quitter
Eta and find icu in shithole inner city with high attrition  
They're desperate
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#41]

Some new grads with no background make it up there, but not many. I've been a paramedic for years, which helped quite a bit.
View Quote
Paramedics are good hires in the icu. They are already trained to assess in methodical fashion and know the drugs
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#42]

That was 1993.  As a senior nursing student  I took ACLS and made instructor potential ( ACLS and especially IP actually took some effort back then)
I had worked as a nursing tech for 3 years during college ( different hospital)
Working as a tech back then
Was tough. 20ish patients--you bathe/ shave , brush teeth and shampoo change bed on 1/3 of them in 8 hours. You also clean up all the patients who need it, vitals q4 on them all, get people up, put them to bed, finger sticks, weights, I+O. Bath and prep shave anyone going to surgery and maybe put in foley
and
Anything else the RNs tell you to do. 8 hr shift
We would have been fired if our patients looked the way patients look in hospitals now. Disgusting.

So, they knew one thing for sure about me --I wasn't lazy and
I wasn't a
Quitter. And those of us who had been techs worked circles around those who worked at the bookstore etc

The university of Alabama hospital had 158 icu beds back then and attrition was high.
More than one RN was let go/transferred for locking themselves in a bathroom and crying and refusing to come out
Fuck ups that get an email today for you screamed at in profane language. Errors that resulted in harm and had a hint of carelessness attached
Fired.
Not saying you couldn't fuxk up but you damn well better be truly contrite and it really helped if it was something beyond your experience that bit you.

TL;DR
Have
A work history that shows work ethic and not a quitter
Eta and find icu in shithole inner city with high attrition  
They're desperate
View Quote
Now where am I going to find a shithole... lol!

Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#43]
There is a significant population of the anesthesia world who are constantly doing a calculus on how can I do the least work for the most money. The other 5 percent of the time left over from that is used on trying to get more time off (paid if possible).  
To people who have actually worked for a living (I cut grass, washed dishes etc. etc. ) they are lazy, entitled scum with no loyalty to anything but themselves and can't be trusted to do the right thing when nobody is watching.  

View All Quotes

But, it's a good job.

Let me translate for @EvanWilliams: "Get off my lawn."

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:43:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:04:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By MK262:

View Quote
Some time ago
One of the young nurses bought me a disney sweater that said "Grumpy".  
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#46]

We can't find experienced nurses right now.  We'll hire you straight out of school into SICU, CVICU, MICU, BTICU and the ED.
View Quote
I guess it depends on the area. We have a few nursing schools around and they usually want some experience before going into critical care units
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#47]
I've had the experience of being a clinical coordinator for a major university program in a rural setting. One thing each student from this program had in common was some unique background life experience. Something that showed commitment and responsibility. Some examples were prior military, paramedics who worked in major trauma areas, volunteers in overseas care and those being very active in the political arena for nurses. So if you got it mention it.
Another avenue today in certain states is becoming a CAA, Certified Anesthesiologist Assistant. Nurses are being accepted in their programs provided they have the right college courses in place.
Pay is comparable and I would think liability less.
I promised myself I wouldn't rant about them, but they're here.
Good luck on your career's.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Some time ago
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MK262:

Some time ago
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Anyone at Seattle AANA?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone at Seattle AANA?
View Quote
We have several people from our dept.  Two of whom are fucking stone cold hotties body wise and OK face wise.  I never go to the national meeting. I usually never miss the state one though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top