Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2015 8:18:59 PM EDT
Valor Ridge Rifleman 1

When: November 7-8, 2015

Where: Valor Ridge: Harrogate, TN (near Cumberland Gap)

Instructors: Reid Henrichs and JJ Wittenborn

This was a two day rifle course with no prerequisites. Various skill levels were present and all seemed to gain from it. Rifles present in the course were AR15, AK47, AK74, VZ58, SIG 556 and DSA FAL. Subject matter included zeroing the rifle at 50 yards followed by confirming zero at 200 yards. We spent time at various distances shooting center mass and taking headshots. Close in we learned to correct for high over bore issues and what an appropriate hold over is (aim high or die) when using red dot sights. We learned one handed shooting with left and right hands. We learned stoppage clearance two handed, right hand only, and left hand only. We learned how to transition to our side arm should our primary weapon go down. We learned and used shooting positions including: standing, squatting, kneeling, support and weapon side fetal, prone, and roll over prone. We did shoot at night on the first night and were taught about light discipline.

On the second day, we expanded on what we had done the day before. We started the day with a police qualification test. We learned about shooting past other people to hit the bad guy and shooting while moving and staying in your lane as someone else would be shooting and moving as well. We shot at 200 yards and 300 yards and practiced taking synchronized shots with two other shooters.  Towards the end of the day we learned team tactics with lateral and forward and backward moving while firing upon targets. We shot with half the group as an assault element and half the group providing over watch and shooting at the targets 200 yards away.

In addition to the shooting, the classroom sessions were outstanding. We discussed proper attitude and purpose and what it means to be an American Rifleman. Instruction from Reid is sure to include plenty of history lessons. Reid is a true patriot and frankly, I enjoyed the classroom sessions as much as the shooting itself. JJ Wittenborn is a very experienced retired police officer and a very talented long distance marksman. He combines this with being a very patient teacher. The result is you find yourself going from not being able to hit at 200 yards to being able to ring steel consistently with a red dot or iron sights.

I came away from the course with the confidence that with my rifle in hand, I can consistently make hits from 3 yards to 300 yards. I would take the class again, and I do plan on taking Rifleman 2 there when time permits.

Class pic:

Video review from Jerry Ziegner who was at the class:

www.valorridge.com
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool. Train hard, train with everybody!
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I plan on getting out there next year or in 2017 for sure.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool. Train hard, train with everybody!
View Quote

That was one of the things Reid told me. This was my second time out there, the first was for Pistolcraft 1. Reid still trains a lot when time allows it and he told me that he doesn't claim to be the best or have a monopoly on this knowledge. I hope to learn from as many good instructors as possible.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I plan on getting out there next year or in 2017 for sure.
View Quote

They are making constant improvements to the range there. Since I was there last in June, there has been a LOT of dozer work. Reid told me that he hopes to incorporate moving targets and obstacles next year. So even if you have been before, over the next couple of years there will probably be value in returning.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#5]
For anyone who has taken this course: Has your carbine been checked to ensure that is has the OEM "internals" intact?

From their website:
Disclaimer:  Valor Ridge does NOT recommend internal modifications to guns.  Leave the internals of the gun the way they came from the factory.  If you choose to modify your guns, you assume the liability of the weapon operating incorrectly.  As such, you alone will be responsible in the event of catastrophic failure of the gun, including damage to the weapon and resulting property damage.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 2:59:09 AM EDT
[#6]
No internals were checked last week.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:12:55 AM EDT
[#7]
well, I'm not going to make it out there this year, maybe 2018.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Would love to go but it's a real pain in the ass to get there if you aren't within driving distance. Flight into Nashville and a minimum 3 hour drive after that.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Lexington, KY and Knoxville, TN aren't too far away from there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top