Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2016 10:04:47 AM EDT
I have been a gun guy my whole life, and I have a concealed that I practice with on a regular basis, but I am lacking when it comes to unarmed/knife skill. I do carry a knife daily as well. I am unsure what would be the best option for me, I am looking for a martial arts that focuses on disarms and defense more than just an offensive style of martial arts. Any ideas/ opinions?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I went the opposite direction.  I started as a martial artist:  3rd degree Black belt in a Karate/Kung Fu Blend, a few years of Kali under Doug Marcaida (Filipino stick and knife fighting), and then a touch of Judo.  After 12 years of getting the shit kicked out of me on a weekly basis and after I joined the army I got into the shooting disciplines.

If you want a truly utilitarian martial art, I would personally stay away from the traditional Asian ones (Kung fu, Karate, Tae Kwon Do, etc).  Under the right instruction they can be good, but generally tend to be more flashy.  The lessons being taught are often veiled like the wax on-wax off instruction from the Karate Kid.

Going towards wrestling arts like Judo and Ju-jitsu are more utilitarian, partly because theyre focused on competitions.  You can't win a competition with style, the techniques actually have to work.  However, since it's more wrestling based, there's not much emphasis on weapons or even much striking.  More about holds and takedowns.

The last category I'd mention is the militant style martial arts.  Kali, Krav Maga, military combatives, etc.  These may be more offensive, but they focus heavily on weapons techniques- blocking, disarming, attacking.  I've found that these are by far the most effective.  A new student can pick up a few basic ideas and become proficient in a matter of weeks Vs a few years for something like kung fu.  As I'm writing this, I'm really starting to think that Kali or something similar would be a good direction for you.  Look up some videos of Doug Marcaida; he has a lot of good videos that show what Kali and similar martial arts are all about.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Jits and Boxing/Muay Thai. Clinch work is the reality of fighting.

I've been doing Krav Maga for 3 years - it's a great basis for self-defense but starts to fall down after about the 3rd belt. I'm hoping to move to Jits as soon as my schedule allows.

I encourage you to look into classes with Shivworks, Cecil Burch, Paul Sharp (Sharp Defense) and MDTS. Shivworks is a true ass whooping and as close as you can get to the real thing without actually doing it. But you'll learn real quick what your reality is.

First thing though - are you in good shape? All this is for nothing if you're not in shape. Take care of yourself first. Otherwise you're mostly just kidding yourself.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably not in as good of shape as I should be. I could make a whole host of excuses why I am not in great shape, but that is beyond the point. I am currently working on getting into better shape (exercise and diet). I will definitely look into some of these options above. Work and location prohibit available options for classes, but I appreciate all the responses!
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:17:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NDZERTMEMBER:
Probably not in as good of shape as I should be. I could make a whole host of excuses why I am not in great shape, but that is beyond the point. I am currently working on getting into better shape (exercise and diet). I will definitely look into some of these options above. Work and location prohibit available options for classes, but I appreciate all the responses!
View Quote

I'm not sure about you, but I've learned many of my shooting techniques from youtube.  Surely nothing beats having a personal trainer or instructor, but there's a wealth of knowledge available online.  If you had a few friends that were similarly interested, I'm sure you could become somewhat competent by exploring what youtube has to offer.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Personal Defense Network sells some DVD's done with some of the instructors I listed above. High quality production and good content.

That said, unless you train any of this under pressure - you don't really know it. But better this than nothing I suppose.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:43:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By THellURider:
Jits and Boxing/Muay Thai. Clinch work is the reality of fighting.

I've been doing Krav Maga for 3 years - it's a great basis for self-defense but starts to fall down after about the 3rd belt. I'm hoping to move to Jits as soon as my schedule allows.

I encourage you to look into classes with Shivworks, Cecil Burch, Paul Sharp (Sharp Defense) and MDTS. Shivworks is a true ass whooping and as close as you can get to the real thing without actually doing it. But you'll learn real quick what your reality is.

First thing though - are you in good shape? All this is for nothing if you're not in shape. Take care of yourself first. Otherwise you're mostly just kidding yourself.
View Quote

I came here to say basically this.

Craig Douglas/Shivworks ECQC and the like go a long way to showing what works and what doesn't. Craig Douglas has come out and bluntly said that his ideal system is a mix of BJJ, Philippines knife and stick fighting, and a few other styles, but mainly BJJ as a base.

BJJ is good, according to Larry Lindenman, because you are working techniques against a live, resisting opponent. Like ECQC, you quickly discard things that don't work. Your worldview has a way of shifting when you have a 300 lb 6 ft 5 in man on top of you trying to pound your face in. BJJ gives you the tools to get out of that situation and minimize the damage.

Both men have numerous cases where they spoke publicly about exactly what the OP asked about. If you have an iPhone, you can download the Practically Tactical episode with each man and listen for free.

I made the decision about two months ago to get into a class and start training. I started BJJ with a local school and have been loving every minute of it.

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you being sarcastic?  

Originally Posted By bes53181:

I'm not sure about you, but I've learned many of my shooting techniques from youtube.  Surely nothing beats having a personal trainer or instructor, but there's a wealth of knowledge available online.  If you had a few friends that were similarly interested, I'm sure you could become somewhat competent by exploring what youtube has to offer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bes53181:
Originally Posted By NDZERTMEMBER:

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is what you seek.  If you want to add some striking skills look at kick boxing.  Just my opinion, of course.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:38:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Solidus-v1] [#9]
I'll echo some of what has previously been mentioned.  Taking any martial art that has regular aggressive (But safe) sparring is worthwhile to help you build the foundation.

Western boxing

Muay Thai

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Chinese Kenpo (Packer system)

Panantukan

Build upon the foundational skillsets you have with other add-on combatives courses.

Read everything.  Question everything.

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#10]
All great advice, but you need to simply consider WHERE you are.  
Look around locally for martial arts programs that are not full of 6 year old black belts.  It is OK for a school to have kids classes (and they should) but look for one with a self-defense focus.
You can make ANY martial art work in the right situation.  Just like a gun, you can be just as dead if you are shot with a .22LR as s 223....dead is dead.  Sure, one is better equipped to make you dead, but dead is dead.

I have trained with Judo, Aikido, and Tai Chi people who will make you just as dead as a a "hard martial art" like Krav Maga, TaeKwonDo or Kali.

Learn it, apply it under pressure, retain it

Thanks
Jeremy

Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Kembativz (Kelly McCann) first.  Then add Martial Blade Concepts (Michael Janich).  

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 6:14:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By THellURider:
View Quote

ECQC from Shivworks will in short order let you figure out where you are lacking and give you an overview of what to do and work on after the class.

Worth the time and money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top