Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2014 10:14:14 AM EDT
Anyone have experience with them. Im looking for a new place to train and bring my daughter. She is 7 btw.

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Which school specifically? What city would be closest to you?

10th planet is Eddie Bravo's school/company. He is loved and hated much like Glocks and 1911s.

I think BJJ is a great martial art for kids because it is actually practical. I highly recommend BJJ for kids. Search for a Gracie academy in your area as well.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#2]
10th Planet is a very particular style of BJJ founded by Eddie Bravo. Eddie is a HUGE pro-pot guy and an avid user. That being said his style of BJJ is pretty solid and has some unique use of the butterfly guard and some cool transitions, guard passes and sweeps.

10th planet will have different atmosphere at each gym. Visit and see what fits.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#3]
i have trained with eddie and rolled with joe rogan when he was a brown belt under eddie.

10th planet jiu jitsu is a specialized system for no-gi grappling.  eddie is a little guy, around 150 pounds.  he ended up on his back a lot while studying under jean jacques machado.   he developed a complete set of moves that enabled him to tie up stronger opponents from his back.  the two main lines of the system are to pull a "lock down" from half guard and a "rubber guard" from full guard.  both techniques are effective at entangling an opponent that is much stronger and explosive than you and there are multiple sweeps and submissions from each position.

i would recommend a more traditional gi bjj school for an adult beginner or a 7 year old girl.  it wouldn't be a mistake to start as either with a 10th planet school if the instructors were easy going and friendly but i'm under the impression that more serious competitive no gi wrestlers seek out 10th planet instruction for its more specialized expertise.  i would say there are a great deal of basic fundamentals that are not emphasized by 10th planet which includes all moves that involve gripping the belt, sleeves, pants or lapels which are all potentially available handles in any possible real world struggle.

for a well rounded bjj mastery, i would start with gi training until about purple belt or mid blue and then start studying 10th planet techniques as advanced material.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#4]
above advice is sound.

Link Posted: 8/20/2018 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#5]
They are legit, so if that's the only good school in your area go for it.

I agree with the others that a good gi school might be better for a kid.

I like gi better, I feel learning to manipulate the clothing is important for self defense
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm always amazed and the breadth of knowledge of some folks. What a great community.

I have no experience in BJJ or the like but i can offer this..I enrolled my daughter in Karate, Tang Soo Do, at the age of 6. Less than six months in. She hasn't quite taken to it like i would have hoped. There is a level of fear and nerves, like i said she is 6, that we had to work through because instructors are different and have different approaches and intensities.  Try not to get frustrated. That part was hard for me. This was also her first go at a sport or activity outside of school.

Go to numerous classes, find instructors that she likes and can get familiar with. Also, it wasn't until she saw her first Black Belt female instructor that she became more engaged, albeit only a little more. It helps for them to see people like them doing what they are learning.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 4:15:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:48:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By boboluv:
i have trained with eddie and rolled with joe rogan when he was a brown belt under eddie.

10th planet jiu jitsu is a specialized system for no-gi grappling.  eddie is a little guy, around 150 pounds.  he ended up on his back a lot while studying under jean jacques machado.   he developed a complete set of moves that enabled him to tie up stronger opponents from his back.  the two main lines of the system are to pull a "lock down" from half guard and a "rubber guard" from full guard.  both techniques are effective at entangling an opponent that is much stronger and explosive than you and there are multiple sweeps and submissions from each position.

i would recommend a more traditional gi bjj school for an adult beginner or a 7 year old girl.  it wouldn't be a mistake to start as either with a 10th planet school if the instructors were easy going and friendly but i'm under the impression that more serious competitive no gi wrestlers seek out 10th planet instruction for its more specialized expertise.  i would say there are a great deal of basic fundamentals that are not emphasized by 10th planet which includes all moves that involve gripping the belt, sleeves, pants or lapels which are all potentially available handles in any possible real world struggle.

for a well rounded bjj mastery, i would start with gi training until about purple belt or mid blue and then start studying 10th planet techniques as advanced material.
View Quote
Good advice.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I've trained 10th Planet BJJ out of Omaha. It is very legit but you have to recognize that it isn't a miracle never fail system. It is another guard system much like deep half guard, De La Riva guard, etc... It has it's time and place but it isn't a silver bullet. Most 10th Planet school do (or at least should) teach more traditional no-gi BJJ as well, I know Omaha does. The biggest problem with a 10th Planet school I've found is everyone wants to do Rubber Guard and at the same time everyone knows how to defend against it so ironically in sparring you don't actually see it much in free practice. Where it shines is against other more traditional BJJ when they have little to no experience against it.

The only thing I don't like about it is there is a culture of marijuana use within 10th Planet. I'm not anti-marijuana, but the smell is overwhelming and off-putting to me. Not every school will be the same so check it out for yourself if you don't want your kid around it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm doing 10th planet.  My kids train too.  At this school they train kids with gis and I've yet to smell pot anywhere.  I hear they're atypical.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a Gracie guy, but I've dropped into a couple of 10th schools when traveling or looking for a new place.

They are outwardly welcoming but I definitly got the feeling that everyone had something to prove to the Gracie guy (me )  That could be typical "see what the new guys got" or something else.

I tend to appreciate the more traditional Martial Arts  approach that Gracie has, tradition has a place. I dont intend to start going to a 10th Planet affiliated gym full time. I (and my kids once they're of age) will stick with Gracie or one of the more traditional Brazilian schools.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top