Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2013 11:14:46 AM EDT
This might be a bit of an odd question, but  to those that have been in martial arts for some time will understand.

When you have belts of different ranks , be they from different styles, or the same style, and the question from an ‘outsider’ ( family, co-worker, the cute bank teller ) of  “Oh, what belt are you ?” well do you just acknowledge your highest  rank, even though that might not be ‘true’, for example if you have a Black Belt in BJJ,  that does not mean as much as you stand with your orange belt in Karate class.

For Me , I practice TKD, and achieved the level of Red/Black Belt  with the ATA, I’m now with a WTF school  and the head instructor has let me start there at Sr.Green.  So, when people ask what rank are you, I kinda don’t know what to say.

I know there will be more then one smartass that will say ‘you are still not Black, so it dos’nt matter’ but it does matter as there are a LOT more color belts out there then Black, so every step up matters.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I was in the ATA when I was 15 about 20 years ago and also got to my red/black belt. That is all I ever took besides jumping in on some classes after I moved so I wouldn't get rusty, but if I was in your situation I would explain that you are a red/black in TKD, and tell them where that belt stands in the ranks and if you have other belts maybe tell them about them and in what martial art they pertain to. Now that I am older and would pull 17 groin muscles if I tried to kick a football I'd probably just say "I have a 5.11 gun belt with a 10mm on it" and be done. I never cared to let anyone know I took martial arts. I wish I still did though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By BB868:
For Me , I practice TKD, and achieved the level of Red/Black Belt  with the ATA, I’m now with a WTF school  and the head instructor has let me start there at Sr.Green.  So, when people ask what rank are you, I kinda don’t know what to say.

Well, your problem is that you now have two different ranks in TKD. If I was you I'd simply state the rank you have at your current school. It may not accuratly reflect your skill level but it is current.

I have a one stripe blue in BJJ and a black belt in karate. I currently train BJJ, haven't trained karate in over 20 years. I'm more inclined to talk about my BJJ training, because it's what I do now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#3]
when someone asks what color belt i am and i actually dont feel like trolling them (like when someone looks at my ears and asks if i train "ufc" i just say no i play a lot of rugby) I mention my brazilian jiu-jitsu belt color. Anything else I do outside of BJJ is only to supplement my overall grappling game. if the other person brings up different arts like judo and what not, then i might mention that i train in that sport as well. its like having a little secret weapon in my back pocket.
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 6:34:05 AM EDT
[#4]
who cares, you're putting way too much thought into this.

Link Posted: 1/27/2013 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By LORD-eX-Bu:
who cares, you're putting way too much thought into this.

thanks for the thoughtful insite

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are talking to a non-martial artist you state your highest rank.

If you are talking to someone within the same style, even is it is from a different school, Shotokan vs Wado Ryu say, then you say your highest rank in that style (karate, TKD, Jujutsu, etc.)

I recenly trained with a 8th dan in Aiki-Jujutsu, it doesn't matter what other belts he might have had, it was an Aiki-Jutsu class so that is the rank he would use by way of introduction. In that case, no need to say 8th dan Aiki-Jutjutsu and red sash Kung Fu.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By YoshinRyu:
If you are talking to a non-martial artist you state your highest rank.

If you are talking to someone within the same style, even is it is from a different school, Shotokan vs Wado Ryu say, then you say your highest rank in that style (karate, TKD, Jujutsu, etc.)

I recenly trained with a 8th dan in Aiki-Jujutsu, it doesn't matter what other belts he might have had, it was an Aiki-Jutsu class so that is the rank he would use by way of introduction. In that case, no need to say 8th dan Aiki-Jutjutsu and red sash Kung Fu.
View Quote

Agreed, there are some big differences between the different types of Tae Kwon-Do, my Grandmaster would have made you put on a white belt to symbolize your humility to your new instructor. Then gave you a fair testing.
We have had 2nd Dan's from Olympic WTF schools come in and not look as good as our brown belts. They were not happy when given a green belt, but they knew none of our forms and their blocks were performed differently.  
I am a 4th Dan in Chung Do-Kwan  Tae Kwon-Do
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 6:05:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I consider international ranking to be more official than club rank.

In the OP's case I would cite my current rank.

BTW why not start as a white belt?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:50:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Well this is one SLOW moving sub forum

I guess I'll give an update. I stopped coming to AR15.com not long after my last post. had not shot any of my guns in years, and just lost interest. I just came back a few weeks ago because I was just laid off, and need to sell off gear and stuff in the EE, and for shits and giggles came here to see what's up, and my post is still 'active'.

So here is what has happened since. I stayed with the WTF school long enough to get my Blue belt, but was not happy with the training. I tried out a couple of other schools just to see, but I still was not happy, I missed my old school/style. So I went back, worked my ass off, and got my Black Belt  and I go for my level one instructor certification later this month

FWIW I also practice Modern Arnis, and I won't even try to explain those ranks
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SabBumNim:

there are some big differences between the different types of Tae Kwon-Do, my Grandmaster would have made you put on a white belt to symbolize your humility to your new instructor. Then gave you a fair testing.
We have had 2nd Dan's from Olympic WTF schools come in and not look as good as our brown belts. They were not happy when given a green belt, but they knew none of our forms and their blocks were performed differently.  
I am a 4th Dan in Chung Do-Kwan  Tae Kwon-Do
View Quote

You got that right, fwiw, the head instructor did start me as a white belt for the first month, then moved to the 'new' rank, for the same reasons listed above, i.e.forms,and such. I had to 'back learn' all the other belt material for the Blue test. I was told I would/could move up fast based on skill/experience, but was already not happy with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top