Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2012 12:13:48 PM EDT
I like this sub-forum, but I'd also like something a little busier.
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Sherdog is one. It is centered on MMA, BJJ, Thai kickboxing, etc. Google Sherdog, it is blocked at my work.

There is also Bullshido. http://www.bullshido.net/
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Sherdog probably has the most traffic, but just be warned, there are plenty of a holes on there too.

Martial Arts Planet.com is nice, but it is pretty slow as well.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 1:51:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By strongtactics:
Sherdog probably has the most traffic, but just be warned, there are plenty of a holes on there too.

Martial Arts Planet.com is nice, but it is pretty slow as well.

Be careful in the Ninjutsu section if you go to MAP. It can get worse than when GD turns on a brand of ARs.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 5:58:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SouthpawShooter] [#4]
SouthNarc's forum- totalprotectioninteractive is good. They have a low tolerance for shenanigans, which is good.

"Too deadly to spar" crap is appropriately laughed out of town there, too!  

ETA- Oh, don't bother with bullshido. It's all juvenile dickholes who troll non-stop. It's basically a BJJ/MMA nutriding fest.

They also tend to be libs who don't like guns, and think people who carry guns are pussies. They also don't seem interested in self
defense either, actually. They only seem to care about the sport aspects.

That, and there is terrible groupthink, and only the "cool kids" with lots of rep points are listened to, and taken seriously at all.
You think the whole "post count" thing is bad here? Go there and you're dogshit until you have 10K posts.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SouthpawShooter:
SouthNarc's forum- totalprotectioninteractive is good. They have a low tolerance for shenanigans, which is good.

ETA- Oh, don't bother with bullshido. It's all juvenile dickholes who troll non-stop. It's basically a BJJ/MMA nutriding fest.

They also tend to be libs who don't like guns, and think people who carry guns are pussies. They also don't seem interested in self

That, and there is terrible groupthink, and only the "cool kids" with lots of rep points are listened to, and taken seriously at all.
You think the whole "post count" thing is bad here? Go there and you're dogshit until you have 10K posts.

And when you hit 10k, you become a GOD!
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 3:27:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Kingpin38506:
Originally Posted By SouthpawShooter:

And when you hit 10k, you become a GOD!

LULZ.

Actually, I need to qualify my Bullshido comment. They do have good articles, actually, and they have done some good investigation
on exposing martial arts frauds.

But, the forums are chock full of dudes who are very young, and who troll non-stop. They also pretty much think that if you don't do
MMA, or Muay thai, boxing, BJJ, or Judo, you're a tool who can't fight. They also generally look down on guns and knives, and
many have the attitude about "if you don't go anywhere bad, and don't start trouble, you won't have to defend yourself/fight.".

Well, there is some truth to that, but it isn't that simple. There are plenty of times where you can be attacked being somewhere
"nice" and not looking for trouble.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for recommending SouthNarc's forum.  His class is at the top of my short list to take.

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 1:55:13 AM EDT
[#8]
"too deadly to spar" is real, but misunderstood.  What I'm calling sparring is when two opponents are set on doing their best to tag/contact/score on the other opponent.  This is done in pads for protection.  An opponent may score a series of points in succession, but will reset to begin again.  In practice, the opponent may go down, then reset.  This is sporting and there's nothing wrong with this.  At the end of the tournament or spar practice everybody walks out and goes home (been there, done that).

In a true self-defense only art, this kind of interaction that I'm calling sparring doesn't work.  If you spar, you fail.  But that does not mean that two partners don't work out with each other with very heavy physical contact.  Quite the opposite.  Now, there are some hocus pocus arts that don't spar or do partner workouts...that's not what I'm referring to.  In Kung Fu San Soo, we refer to our partner workouts as 2x2s (two and twos).  It's differentiated from sparring, because what we do does not fit the sparring description.  The partner workout is without pads for starters and the physical contact is much heavier.  No pads and hitting harder.  The initial attack/defense is 50%-70%.  That's pretty bangin'.  From there the defender will bring a constant onslaught of attacks, giving no chance for  a counter.  The targets are contacted with heavy hands and pushed through with some force.  Control is learned and required.  It appears to an observer that the attacker is really hurting them.  So, why too deadly then?

Deadly is not really the right word either, although it's appropriate in some applications.  What they mean is that real follow through would put the partner in the hospital and likely sustain life changing injuries.  We are learning in a safe training environment, so disabling might be a better word.  For example:  When I was in Tae Kwon Do, the chest was a target.  I might kick my opponent there.  What happens when you kick to the chest?  The opponent moves backwards or falls.  There is no such target as "chest" in Kung Fu San Soo.  Chest is a generic area.  We might say top of the sternum.  I can't really drive a hammer fist down to the top of your sternum.  I would crack it and you would go to the hospital.  It's "too devastating".  But I can put a pretty good thump on the top of your sternum with the fleshy part of my hammer and you will move just the same and as soon as you react, I've got another one to meet you there and so on...each strike/leverage is designed to create devastation and damage.  Each move is executed like it's my last move - the move that will end the fight.

I hope this sheds light on the commonly seen and ignorant assessment "too deadly to spar."

-Sifu Ken
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SifuKen:
"too deadly to spar" is real, but misunderstood.  What I'm calling sparring is when two opponents are set on doing their best to tag/contact/score on the other opponent.  This is done in pads for protection.  An opponent may score a series of points in succession, but will reset to begin again.  In practice, the opponent may go down, then reset.  This is sporting and there's nothing wrong with this.  At the end of the tournament or spar practice everybody walks out and goes home (been there, done that).

In a true self-defense only art, this kind of interaction that I'm calling sparring doesn't work.  If you spar, you fail.  But that does not mean that two partners don't work out with each other with very heavy physical contact.  Quite the opposite.  Now, there are some hocus pocus arts that don't spar or do partner workouts...that's not what I'm referring to.  In Kung Fu San Soo, we refer to our partner workouts as 2x2s (two and twos).  It's differentiated from sparring, because what we do does not fit the sparring description.  The partner workout is without pads for starters and the physical contact is much heavier.  No pads and hitting harder.  The initial attack/defense is 50%-70%.  That's pretty bangin'.  From there the defender will bring a constant onslaught of attacks, giving no chance for  a counter.  The targets are contacted with heavy hands and pushed through with some force.  Control is learned and required.  It appears to an observer that the attacker is really hurting them.  So, why too deadly then?

Deadly is not really the right word either, although it's appropriate in some applications.  What they mean is that real follow through would put the partner in the hospital and likely sustain life changing injuries.  We are learning in a safe training environment, so disabling might be a better word.  For example:  When I was in Tae Kwon Do, the chest was a target.  I might kick my opponent there.  What happens when you kick to the chest?  The opponent moves backwards or falls.  There is no such target as "chest" in Kung Fu San Soo.  Chest is a generic area.  We might say top of the sternum.  I can't really drive a hammer fist down to the top of your sternum.  I would crack it and you would go to the hospital.  It's "too devastating".  But I can put a pretty good thump on the top of your sternum with the fleshy part of my hammer and you will move just the same and as soon as you react, I've got another one to meet you there and so on...each strike/leverage is designed to create devastation and damage.  Each move is executed like it's my last move - the move that will end the fight.

I hope this sheds light on the commonly seen and ignorant assessment "too deadly to spar."

-Sifu Ken

Too deadly to spar means it wont work in a real fight.  And neither does kung fu....any kind of kung fu.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top