Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 36
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:20:17 PM EDT
[#1]
My professor found me on Facebook and friended me today. I haven't been in 3 weeks because of a bad cold and sinus infection combination, so I'm thinking he wants to see if I quit
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:
My professor found me on Facebook and friended me today. I haven't been in 3 weeks because of a bad cold and sinus infection combination, so I'm thinking he wants to see if I quit
View Quote
I work shift work and a lot of o.t., I think after not going to class for 13 days there is an automated email sent.  I get that email quite a bit unfortunately, but work comes first.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By denverdan:

Yup that's the one. Over the years they have cost me a shit ton of money with that thread.
View Quote
I'll take a new left knee, left AC joint, L3, 4, 5 and L5-S1 please
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By navvet89:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By navvet89:

Yup that's the one. Over the years they have cost me a shit ton of money with that thread.
That’d be nice. As for me I’ll take both AC joints, all ten fingers, and a new left hip.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 11:18:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Just had my first class after the 3 week hiatus. Oh boy am I sore!

I surprisingly felt very comfortable though. Even though I haven't been training, it feels like I never stopped; I breezed through the warm-ups and had a ton of gas left even after a couple 10 minute rolls.

Very weird, but very welcome.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 12:58:28 AM EDT
[#6]
The wife and I may actually be buying a school. Well actually going in on it with a very good friend of ours.
Our friend would essentially be running the place as my wife and I have fairly lucrative day jobs and BJJ is his life and how he makes a living.

Established place with 125-130 paying members so not starting from scratch.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 2:43:57 AM EDT
[#7]
The wife and I may actually be buying a school. Well actually going in on it with a very good friend of ours.
Our friend would essentially be running the place as my wife and I have fairly lucrative day jobs and BJJ is his life and how he makes a living.

View Quote
Man, that's crazy.  Hopefully it works out for yall.  Maybe be able to stop by on our family skiing trip.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 4:25:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I got my Purple Belt in 10th Planet jiu-jitsu this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 6:37:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By utb1528:
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By poisontree:
Man, that's crazy.  Hopefully it works out for yall.  Maybe be able to stop by on our family skiing trip.
View All Quotes

Oh hell yeah man. If this goes down arfcommers will always e welcome on the mats.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 1:09:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By utb1528:
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Monthly marathon roll tonight.
Last time it was 11 or 12 rolls back to back.
Gym gets packed with visitors from sister gyms.
It's a good time.
I'll probably come home in a wheelchair....
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 12:15:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By HELOBRAVO:
Monthly marathon roll tonight.
Last time it was 11 or 12 rolls back to back.
Gym gets packed with visitors from sister gyms.
It's a good time.
I'll probably come home in a wheelchair....
View Quote
That's awesome,  how long rounds?   I can get to about 5, 4 min rounds in a row but they aren't 100% rolls lol
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#14]

That's awesome,  how long rounds?   I can get to about 5, 4 min rounds in a row but they aren't 100% rolls lol
View Quote
5 minutes. Back to back. They can'y be 100%. that's for sure.
The only people rolling hard are the new, or not so new, hard headed white belts.
Having a teenager or little dude come up the rotation is a welcome sight.
(An odd number of participants can be a life saver...)
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 10:00:02 PM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes

Well it looks like the school is gonna be a go. Provided there isn’t something unforeseen that comes up it should be ours be late January.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#16]

5 minutes. Back to back. They can'y be 100%. that's for sure.
The only people rolling hard are the new, or not so new, hard headed white belts.
Having a teenager or little dude come up the rotation is a welcome sight.
(An odd number of participants can be a life saver...)
View Quote
We have a whole lot of competitors in my gym and I don't compete or train to.   So coach usually separates the two groups,  I'm usually with the smaller and or newer guys lol, but I'm only about 1.5 years in.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Well it looks like the school is gonna be a go. Provided there isn’t something unforeseen that comes up it should be ours be late January.
View Quote
That sounds awesome,  congrats.   You said a buddy will be running it mostly?
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 11:24:52 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes

Yeah he’s a brown belt that is very well known, loved, and respected in the BJJ community around here.
He’s literally the only person I would entertain doing this with.

I’m fairly confident just by his name recognition we can add 15-20 members in the first few months.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 12:26:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Yeah he’s a brown belt that is very well known, loved, and respected in the BJJ community around here.

I’m fairly confident just by his name recognition we can add 15-20 members in the first few months.
View Quote
Sounds good.  I'll have to remember this when I head out to colorado in march.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes

For sure man. March is a great time for a ski trip here. It’s our snowiest month.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#21]

We have a whole lot of competitors in my gym and I don't compete or train to.   So coach usually separates the two groups,  I'm usually with the smaller and or newer guys lol, but I'm only about 1.5 years in.
View Quote
Don't let that stop you.
I'm 51. One year in in February.
3 - 1st place and one 3rd in tournaments. I hold 2 South USA Grappling titles currently.
Haven't rolled with anyone over 37 in a tournament since it's hard to find old white belts.
I train 3-5 times a week It's not the time, it's the effort.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Had to share this somewhere.  In my own mind I’m not sure I deserve that 4th stripe. I guess my coach thought so or I wouldn’t have it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By makintrax73:
https://i.imgur.com/emkkGZ4.jpg

Had to share this somewhere.  In my own mind I’m not sure I deserve that 4th stripe. I guess my coach thought so or I wouldn’t have it.
View Quote
Felt that way about my third.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:

Felt that way about my third.
View Quote
We dont get stripes, I dont know if I prefer that or not but oh well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote
If he gave it to you then you deserved it. I had to tell my wife that over and over after she got her blue belt.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 11:53:44 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
Got my 4th a week or two ago and feel the exact same way
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 12:19:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By PhillyandBCEagles:

View Quote
I wish I knew where I was, I dont know if I'm a dirtyish white belt of a very very very light blue belt lol
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 9:14:54 AM EDT
[#28]
I wish I knew where I was, I dont know if I'm a dirtyish white belt of a very very very light blue belt lol
View All Quotes

Yeah, my coach is pretty irregular with stripes and in 18 months of training I've only seen him give them out at the year end ceremony...I got my first last December and then went from 1 to 4 a few weeks ago

I'm at the point where I can give most of the blue belts a tough roll but also get my ass handed to me by a guy who just started maybe 6 months ago but trains 5 days a week and is freakishly athletic.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Yeah, my coach is pretty irregular with stripes and in 18 months of training I've only seen him give them out at the year end ceremony...I got my first last December and then went from 1 to 4 a few weeks ago

I'm at the point where I can give most of the blue belts a tough roll but also get my ass handed to me by a guy who just started maybe 6 months ago but trains 5 days a week and is freakishly athletic.
View Quote
Mine also.  When I got my blue belt I had zero stripes on my white belt. When I got my purple belt I had four on my blue.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 10:22:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RayFromJersey] [#30]
Just watched a guy get his black belt

Our professor told us all to do our best to come to today's class for some guys getting belt promotions. When I got there as usual, there was probably 100 people there (normally 10-15). A professor from a totally different academy came with all his students too.

They did belt promotions for both academies, then surprised one of the other academy's instructors with a black belt. It was pretty cool!
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Just watched a guy get his black belt

Our professor told us all to do our best to come to today's class for some guys getting belt promotions. When I got there as usual, there was probably 100 people there (normally 10-15). A professor from a totally different academy came with all his students too.

They did belt promotions for both academies, then surprised one of the other academy's instructors with a black belt. It was pretty cool!
View Quote
That’s awesome I’ve seen a couple BB promotions always a cool thing.

Oh we’re working out the details but we’re 99% sure we’ll be co-owning a school in the near future.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Got my first stripe tonight! 🤙🏼
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:48:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Got my first stripe tonight!
View Quote
Awesome!
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Yeah, I read a lot of mixed experiences/opinions of stripes on Reddit. I'm just happy that it's not a pay-to-promote or class attendance system that's used at my gym, and instead is a measure of skill by the instructors.

Feels good
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 12:47:49 AM EDT
[#36]
I haven't been able to roll since last week,  I did end up taking it kind of easy and teaching a new guy some lessons I learned the hard way.  I dont compete so I share my escapes and subs/sweeps I like to do in case someone wants to use it during a comp.  It usually screws me over because people now know my favorite subs etc...  merry christmas my dudes and dudets.   Maybe we will meet on the mat or range some day.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Shoulder surgery for me tomorrow .

Bone spur, arthritis, and a partially torn labrum.  Hoping to be off the mats for weeks, not months.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Drakich:

Bone spur, arthritis, and a partially torn labrum.  Hoping to be off the mats for weeks, not months.
View Quote
Ouch, good luck for a fast recovery
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Good luck!  I will give you the same advice Royce gave me....

Follow the Dr's timeline on recovery!  Do not try to rush it!  I have seen many, many people try to rush it and end up out for longer times.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By itsahak:
Good luck!  I will give you the same advice Royce gave me....

Follow the Dr's timeline on recovery!  Do not try to rush it!  I have seen many, many people try to rush it and end up out for longer times.
View Quote
Yeah, I've pretty much ignored recommended layoff times for my many rib injuries (longest I've stayed out is a week even though recommendation is usually 8 weeks), but for this I'm going to follow rehab to a T.  Will go back to drilling as fast as possible, but will wait until cleared before rolling.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 11:05:41 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote
Good luck with the surgery.
I'm half way through 30 days of Mobic for my shoulder. I don't think it's going to do the trick.
Probably Cortisone in a couple of weeks.
IBJJF tournament in February....gotta get more gold. To hell with my long term health!
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 12:37:53 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm half way through 30 days of Mobic for my shoulder. I don't think it's going to do the trick.
IBJJF tournament in February....gotta get more gold. To hell with my long term health!
View All Quotes

Surgery went fine but turns out I was in worse shape than MRI showed.  2 tears on the rotator cuff, partial labrum tear so I’m out 6 months.  Did get some rolls in Sunday but looks like it has to hold me over for a while.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#43]

Surgery went fine but turns out I was in worse shape than MRI showed.  2 tears on the rotator cuff, partial labrum tear so I’m out 6 months.  Did get some rolls in Sunday but looks like it has to hold me over for a while.
View Quote
Keep your chin up bro!  6 months will fly by before you know it! Meanwhile, don't be a stranger in your classes.  If your instructor doesn't mind, you can still attend and sit on the side and take notes.  Keep you in the habit of going...
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Keep your chin up bro!  6 months will fly by before you know it! Meanwhile, don't be a stranger in your classes.  If your instructor doesn't mind, you can still attend and sit on the side and take notes.  Keep you in the habit of going...
View All Quotes

Saw doc yesterday to get dressing change - also had the bicep detaching so my arm was basically falling off.  1 RC tear and the bicep tear needed re-attachment, the rest just cleaned up.  Crazy thing is my arm was still mostly functional.  Yeah - the prof already said for me to come by.  Technically not supposed to drive for a month but I want to drill basic movements (solo) as soon as I can get medically cleared.  Plan on doing this recovery by the book.  My old man strength powers apparently don't extend to connective tissue.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#45]
So there's a blue belt in the class who people joke about, saying he hurts people a lot. Last night he ended up in the gauntlet where he's forced to roll with different people nonstop for like 20 minutes. I ended up rolling with him 2nd, after he rolled with a purple who basically gassed him out in just a couple minutes...

He's obviously gassed out and could barely slap hands to start the roll, and he attempts to pull guard on me. I pass one leg and end up on top in his half-guard. I have pretty good top pressure as he's still trying to catch his breath so I basically just relax on top waiting for him to try and sweep since he has my right leg trapped well. Some time passes and I start to notice that he's tightening on my right leg more and more. I don't understand what he's trying to do, maybe get ready to sweep me using my well-trapped leg? Tighter....Tighter...Tighter...WTF is he trying to squeeze my leg like a watermelon? I don't get it... There's no pain, he's just squeezing my leg with all his strength as if that's going to do something....Then POP! I feel a pop in my knee. I tap instantly because of how weird it felt. He seemed dumbfounded on why I tapped like he wasn't expecting it.

No pain today luckily, just sore. WTF was he trying to do? Just crank my knee using nothing but his legs? Weird. I'll have to keep that in mind next time.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#46]
So there's a blue belt in the class who people joke about, saying he hurts people a lot. Last night he ended up in the gauntlet where he's forced to roll with different people nonstop for like 20 minutes. I ended up rolling with him 2nd, after he rolled with a purple who basically gassed him out in just a couple minutes...

He's obviously gassed out and could barely slap hands to start the roll, and he attempts to pull guard on me. I pass one leg and end up on top in his half-guard. I have pretty good top pressure as he's still trying to catch his breath so I basically just relax on top waiting for him to try and sweep since he has my right leg trapped well. Some time passes and I start to notice that he's tightening on my right leg more and more. I don't understand what he's trying to do, maybe get ready to sweep me using my well-trapped leg? Tighter....Tighter...Tighter...WTF is he trying to squeeze my leg like a watermelon? I don't get it... There's no pain, he's just squeezing my leg with all his strength as if that's going to do something....Then POP! I feel a pop in my knee. I tap instantly because of how weird it felt. He seemed dumbfounded on why I tapped like he wasn't expecting it.

No pain today luckily, just sore. WTF was he trying to do? Just crank my knee using nothing but his legs? Weird. I'll have to keep that in mind next time.
View Quote
Maybe trying to put a lock down on you?  Or was it the top part of your leg?  I've seen people get ankle locked from half top.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 9:34:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RayFromJersey] [#47]
Maybe trying to put a lock down on you?  Or was it the top part of your leg?  I've seen people get ankle locked from half top.
View All Quotes

Looking it up online, lockdown seems about right. I had no idea you could crank that position to ruin someone's knee. I honestly didn't even feel it in my knee which is why I was surprised by the pop. It felt like he was just trying to squish my thigh with his thighs.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Lockdown is usually shin and ankle pressure.  Does he have huge thighs?  We have a purple belt that will lock you into place in half top just with muscle.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:59:52 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote
Tendon damage can occur without any significant pain or swelling.  Ask me how I know .  If the soreness last more than a couple of days you should see an ortho for a function test (and even then that might not tell you anything).  I had 5 tears in my right shoulder / bicep and passed every functional exam.  Only thing I couldn't do is a pullup (which they don't ask you to do at the ortho).  But the pain for progressively worse over a year and eventually I got to the point where I would be sore for a couple of days after rolling.  But no intense pain like I ripped something, it felt like muscle strain pain.

Where was he squeezing?  Lock down usually "attacks" the calf or ankle as they stretch your legs but it's not really an attack it's usually just uncomfortable and difficult to pass if you haven't been exposed to it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Sounds like lockdown to me. If he’s got long enough legs he could use lockdown and squeeze the upper leg. I could very well be wrong though.

Lockdown is my go to half guard position but I have really short legs.
Page / 36
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top