Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2017 9:24:26 AM EDT
Quite simply I am new to this shooting event. I've actually shot in 1 "real" match.  I live in NY and drawing from a holster and shooting at the ranges I shoot at is not even allowed, let alone double taps or Mozambique drills and the like.  I have been shooting most of my life and consider myself a proficient shooter with both rifles, pistols and especially skeet guns! I have CCW's in multiple states and went to visit my brother in Florida that shoots in a lot of these events for my first one.  I had my carry gun and also brought my Sig 229 to shoot at the event.  They did not allow the use of my Serpa holster for my sig so I shot a borrowed glock from my brother and one of his holsters.

I completely sucked at the event - multiple procedurals, but I was safe and was instantly hooked on the game.  It takes pistol shooting to a whole new level of fun. I will find local places to shoot it as I obviously need lots and lots of practice.  I am awaiting the delivery of a new pistol, one dedicated to shooting these style events - a CZ 75 TS Orange and handling a similar gun (Plain 75 TS) that leads me to my very rookie question.  The 75 is a single action gun and quite honestly has an EXTREMELY light trigger pull.  I have many other single stacks I shoot for bullseye type events and love them but the "action" events and "speed holster draws" mixed with that type of gun raised an important question for me.  I was at my LGS finger poking a TS and when the clerk handed it to me I pointed it towards the floor and in moving my finger from the trigger guard to the blade style trigger I discharged the weapon (Obviously it was empty) but it caught me completely by surprise. And this got me thinking.  

During the events do you guys draw "cocked and locked" with the safety off, gun ready to shoot or disengage the safety during the draw?  When I shot the event it was with a glock so this wasn't a concern for me but the light trigger of the single action style gun and my Oooops at the gun store made it evident to me that I wont trust myself to draw a gun like that in an event.  I understand that I need to practice (a lot) and get confident with this style but to me the idea of "going as fast as I can with a gun like that" is something I can not it, good confidence, do.  The Serpa holsters were banned because it placed the finger on the trigger during the draw and in numerous events was the cause of ND's which resulted in DQ's at best and in some cases people getting shot.  I want to have fun and am most certainly willing to put my time and effort into getting better but the though of "a timed event at which speed plays a role in scoring and the nature of a single action has me nervous.  So how do you guys do it??
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:43:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TennJeep1618] [#1]
I hate to tell you this, but unless something significant changed with the new rule book, the TS is not allowed in IDPA.

The TS is allowed in USPSA Limited and Open divisions, in which it must be cocked and on safe at the start signal (unless otherwise specified).  You draw the gun, then disengage the safety.

The TS has a really nice trigger out of the box, but it isn't all that different than a lot of 2011's and other guns that guys shoot in USPSA.  You simply have to practice (dry fire) a lot to get used to manipulating a trigger with such a light pull.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick reply.  Just printed the rule book and found that "cocked and locked" style SA's must be drawn with the safety on.  I know the TS wont be legal for some classes - didn't realize it wasn't allowed for ALL of IDPA.  This really is a gun I "want" more than need - and even have "domestic clearance" from the Mrs. to buy it!.  I  fell in love with it when I saw and heard about it.    For "official" matches I guess It'll be USPSA only. I have other guns I can shoot in sanctioned matches if need be.  I obviously have LOTS to learn......  All I know is that that match I shot in Florida was a hoot.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:02:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TennJeep1618] [#3]
Yeah, I can't remember if it's the weight, the FLDC, or the size (or maybe all 3) that keeps it from being legal in IDPA.  The smaller frame CZ's like the 75B and SP-01 are legal in both SSP and ESP.

I do know that the TS a great gun for USPSA Limited if it's chambered in .40.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:20:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the sport. It's a lot of fun.

I click the safety off as I'm presenting the gun. It is engaged in the holster and until it clears my feet. For double action guns you can start safety off with the hammer down.

As far as drawing practice goes, you can do it with an empty gun at home. It is crucial to get a perfect grip and a smooth simple movement from the holster to the firing position. I like to use a small target when I dryfire. The little target forces you to get a perfect sight picture. Just remember when you dryfire you are burning the techniques into you brain. You don't want to program your self to do something the right way. You can also practice transitions, reloads, and trigger control without actually shooting. You can print out free mini targets for dryfire. There are shot timer apps that are great for using as a par timer with dryfire drills.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:56:41 AM EDT
[#5]
You'd have to cut 5 ounces out of the TS to shoot it. 
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 7:23:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Daytona955i:
You'd have to cut 5 ounces out of the TS to shoot it. 
View Quote

Leave the loaded mag out.  (Kidding)

I don't swipe my safety until the gun is about thirty degrees from level.    Keeps me from having a bad day.

+1 on the grip.   It's established in the holster.  It's important to get that right before the draw starts.  Adjusting a misgripped pistol on the fly takes more time than doing it right but slower in the holster.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#7]
What part of New York? There are lots of clubs shooting idpa or similar events, several in the Buffalo area a few near Rochester plus more in the Syracuse area. Also nothing stops you from going to pennsylvania for matches if that is close to you
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#8]
What part of New York? There are lots of clubs shooting idpa or similar events, several in the Buffalo area a few near Rochester plus more in the Syracuse area. Also nothing stops you from going to pennsylvania for matches if that is close to you
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#9]
So its up to you if you start with the gun cocked or not, but either way the gun must be on safe if it has a manual safety. It takes time to cock the pistol before shooting of course so i would start with it cocked.
In addition I would find some public land where people go to shoot if at all possible. I live in Oregon so there are plenty of outdoor public places for me to shoot.  If you cant find public land to shoot on I would suggest finding a range that will allow you to draw from the holster. some ranges just require a certification. As a last resort I would get a laser trainer. Either one that has an electronic target or simply tape a target to the wall and practice your draw and fire using the laser as a reference.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:21:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Daytona955i] [#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sw20matt:
So its up to you if you start with the gun cocked or not, but either way the gun must be on safe if it has a manual safety. It takes time to cock the pistol before shooting of course so i would start with it cocked.
In addition I would find some public land where people go to shoot if at all possible. I live in Oregon so there are plenty of outdoor public places for me to shoot.  If you cant find public land to shoot on I would suggest finding a range that will allow you to draw from the holster. some ranges just require a certification. As a last resort I would get a laser trainer. Either one that has an electronic target or simply tape a target to the wall and practice your draw and fire using the laser as a reference.
View Quote
Only single action guns need to have the safety on. DA and striker guns, it's up to the shooter.

I think all TS guns are SAO?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top