Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/8/2010 4:09:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 4:09:16 PM EDT by Lancelot]
im doing up a service rifle upper for nra and cmp competition. what rear sight system (gunsmith) is the one to have right now. i have the capability to modify parts by machining and welding pinning if need be for fit. im also open to appiture and front sight size recomendations. i milled down some sights to .062 and .052 today
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:04:54 PM EDT
I'm running John Holliger's pinned sights, always have. A lot of other sources are available now, but over ten years ago he was the go to guy.

I use 1/4X1/4 which is finer than most people like. I just think 4 clicks equals one minute. Lots of AR service rifle compeitors are old and started out with M1's and M1A's. They stayed with 1/2X1/2 rear sights because they were familiar with them. I just figured finer adjustments is a positive development, I don't know how many times I wished a had it way back then.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:00:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
I'm running John Holliger's pinned sights, always have. A lot of other sources are available now, but over ten years ago he was the go to guy.

I use 1/4X1/4 which is finer than most people like. I just think 4 clicks equals one minute. Lots of AR service rifle compeitors are old and started out with M1's and M1A's. They stayed with 1/2X1/2 rear sights because they were familiar with them. I just figured finer adjustments is a positive development, I don't know how many times I wished a had it way back then.

Sir, FWIW this old competitor that started out with an M1 and M1A quickly grasped the advantage of being more aggressive on the sights when I switched to the AR. I too use 1/4X1/4 pinned sights that I bought from WOP. There are other choices available, the name "Carrier" comes to mind but for my purposes WOP is the best available option. 7zero1 out.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:31:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 4:33:13 AM EDT by danpass]
I started off with the narrowest front sight available from RRA (0.050?) and just recently went with an 0.070 (aka 'standard' AR size) based on two reasons:

The Mind Over Matter DVD set from the CMP has AMU shooters in it and each one recommends a fat front sight. They even go so far as to talk about focusing on the center of the top edge of the front sight.

I used a standard size in the Camp Perry Rifle SAFS and it worked great.

It all has to do with focus on the front sight. Very easy with a fat one, very hard with a thin one (eye fatigue, mental fatigue, etc due to the required concentration)

I'm still working on the .040 rear aperture and whether I want larger.

eta: I have excellent vision
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:38:43 PM EDT
For front sight, I agree with the other posters about the .070 blade; it gives you some real estate to center up on the aiming black. I started with a NM (.040) blade and switched back to the wide post after doing a lot of horizontal stringing. For a rear sight, you could not go wrong with WOP rear sight. Let the expert pin your sight. Definately 1/4 X 1/4 too.

Roy
Top Top