Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2014 12:06:09 PM EDT
I have 3 girls ages 4,8, and 10.  When I take them to the range they cant really shoot anything other than prone supported and still have issues with length of pull and seeing the sights.  So I'm building an ultra light AR to double as a backup/ loaner 3 gun rifle but primarily as their training rifle.  Obviously the 10 year old is the one doing the actual training, the 4 and 8 year old are just basically doing assisted trigger pulling.  So far I plan on using an ACE stock, Adams Arms Ultra light 16in barrel with their lightened carrier and a Lancer 16.5" carbon fiber handguard.

My question is, when training a new, young shooter, is it best to go with a light weight match trigger like the Hiperfire with no take up at all, a light weight 2 stage match with some take up like the Super 3 Gun or a heavy gritty factory trigger.  I have all three which is why it's so specific.  I personally learned on crappy mil triggers which helped me appreciate a good trigger and in my opinion shoot faster once I went light weight, but I also wasn't 10.

Thanks

Dustin
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:04:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Double-E] [#1]
Most quality air rifles have the ability to make the size adjustments to properly fit them to the shooter and the triggers are measured in grams not pounds (talk about the ability to tune a trigger) .   For the younger members that's where I'd start.  If you want to step things up a bit you can't go wrong with a quality 10/22 with a youth stock and a safe trigger.   For anyone much less the 10 year old, a two stage Rock River Match trigger on an AR is far better than a heavy stock gritty trigger.

Having access to quality air rifles the last six years at USCGA has spoiled me.... I may just have to break down an buy one when I transfer next year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top