Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2010 11:45:56 PM EDT
I'm torn between a Savage Cub, a Henry Mini Bolt and a Crickett.  All about the same price, the Savage is more of a traditional bolt action.  Any favorites out there?
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 6:36:05 AM EDT
[#1]
First, get the Dominant Eye figured out, then shop for the appropriate left or right action.

I bought a Savage Mark II Lefty Youth for my 9 yo girl, and had to trim the butt stock down quite a bit so that she could see through the scope.  Definitely not ideal, but I'm figuring on putting a laminate stock on there someday when she gets bigger.  Good shooting gun, but the Mark II Savage action can only be loaded from the magazine, which aren't 100% (it occasionally mis-feeds).  In hind sight, a single shot might have been a better choice.  Were I to do it again, I'd probably go for a Cricket, then buy her the Savage or a CZ when she turns 12.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 7:07:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nhsport] [#2]
Some go the small bolt gun route to teach basics and I see the point of that thinking but here is what I have done in the past.

I am always going to be right there supervising so I go with a semi auto to hold the kids interest . I bought a new stainless 10/22 , set the plastic stock aside and took a old wood stock I had from a previous build . I hacked the stock off short (took 3 or 4" off) and refinished it for looks . then I slapped on a rail and a china red dot. The red dot is easier for the little squirts , all they have to do is put the red dot on whatever they want to hit.

Give them a short light gun that they can manage and the marksman training can come along somewhere down the line after they have some fun and gain some interest.

After the kid grows some (and it doesn't take long) slap the factory stock back on . Somewhere down the line the 10/22 becomes a base for a project gun .Pass the chopped stock on to another kid . The stock I chopped several years ago  has been passed around my gun club and has been on 3 or 4 different guns.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 6:46:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out the Thompson Hot Shot. It's a mini version of TC's Pro Hunter.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By nhsport:
Some go the small bolt gun route to teach basics and I see the point of that thinking but here is what I have done in the past.

I am always going to be right there supervising so I go with a semi auto to hold the kids interest . I bought a new stainless 10/22 , set the plastic stock aside and took a old wood stock I had from a previous build . I hacked the stock off short (took 3 or 4" off) and refinished it for looks . then I slapped on a rail and a china red dot. The red dot is easier for the little squirts , all they have to do is put the red dot on whatever they want to hit.

Give them a short light gun that they can manage and the marksman training can come along somewhere down the line after they have some fun and gain some interest.

After the kid grows some (and it doesn't take long) slap the factory stock back on . Somewhere down the line the 10/22 becomes a base for a project gun .Pass the chopped stock on to another kid . The stock I chopped several years ago  has been passed around my gun club and has been on 3 or 4 different guns.

This!

I have a cricket, ten years old and less than 500 rounds.   I think she fired 150 rounds total.   She hated cocking it and the trigger was horrible.   She wanted to shoot daddy's 10/22.   Once she started shooting that, the Cricket never left the safe.  The 10/22 will grow with them and hold thier instrest longer for sure, kids are all about fast and the "Cool Factor".   There are so many mods and custom parts for the 10/22 style of firearms it's a no brainer, hands down go with the 10/22.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 10:36:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Henry .22 lever action. Nice little gun.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought all three of my boys the Mossberg 802 Bantam Plinkster scoped combo. It is bolt action magazine fed. I took the scope off to teach them to shoot iron sights first. They have mastered the iron sights now and i put the scope back on and taught them how to zero the scope. They have shot these guns so much and enjoy it. Sometimes it is a chore trying to get them out of their hands. My middle soon setup a cinderblock one day and was shooting from about 50 yards, he shot that cinderblock so much he put a hole in it all in a couple of hours. They love them have had no problems with them and won't give them up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:15:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MRW] [#7]
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#9]
10/22

And a heritage arms revolver.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Most 8 yos aren't going to be able to handle a 10/22 offhand, even with a short stock.  I went with a Crickett and it's been perfect, my 7y/o has already bagged several hogs and countless turtles/etc..

The crickett isn't perfect, but it is tiny, it's actually about the same size and weight as a daisy BB gun, and my boy can handle it, and even carry it on a hunt.  If you're just shooting from a bench at the range, a full size gun might be OK, but if you're going afield IMO a kid needs something they can handle.

And when he outgrows it, there will be a semi in his future, along with a little brother who already idolizes the Crickett.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Henry mini bolt youth.  Much better quality than the cricket.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 2:07:42 AM EDT
[#12]
savage cub imho
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Bite the bullet and get a S&W M&P 15/22.

My 7 and 9 year old daughters love mine.  I had to by 4 more magazines because I couldn't keep them loaded fast enough.  You should see them clean a plate rack with it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#14]
once our daughter got her hands on my FNC there was no stopping her. Just build a light weight AR
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 12:20:35 AM EDT
[#15]
My 12 year old is a dead eye with my Marlin 60.

It's not as heavy as a 10/22.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 12:56:25 AM EDT
[#16]
This was my first 22/firearm all together and i still love shooting it...shoots 22 short, long and lr...single-shot, falling block action

Savage Model 72
http://www.cowanauctions.com/itemImages/tee0974.jpg
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#17]
The Savage cub is a great little rifle.  Aperture rear sight, decent trigger, and light and easy to handle.  I am a big fan of starting out on single shot 22's. Then off to the mag fed rifles.

Our cub has held up well through three boys  And I can hit like nobody's business with it. I just look pretty silly doing it.

Link Posted: 6/24/2012 2:53:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Hoffsoft:
I'm torn between a Savage Cub, a Henry Mini Bolt and a Crickett.  All about the same price, the Savage is more of a traditional bolt action.  Any favorites out there?

The cubs are no longer made, they are replaced by the "rascal".  The rascals are even less expensive, but seem just as decent - although the stock is plastic, not wood.

Personally, I see no reason to encumber a new shooter with a horrible trigger, so I'd pass entirely on the Cricket, and do either the Cub/Rascal, or a CZ youth.
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By cthulhu:
Our cub has held up well through three boys  And I can hit like nobody's business with it. I just look pretty silly doing it.

I chopped a few inches off of the stock, to make it easier for my kids to shoot when they are young - as in 4 years old.  It makes it a lot easier for them, but it also makes it look like a toy... literally.  I have people at the range come and look over our shoulder, to see if it's a real gun or not.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Rocksarge:
savage cub imho

This, my 6 & 8 year olds each have one
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I started my 8yr son out with a savage 93.  He s 12 now and hasn't out grown it. He also shoot compitions  now.   My feeling is start them with a bolt action
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#23]
My son was 10 and I bought him a Marlin XT 22Y. It's a great gun, surprisingly accurate for a short barrel. It's the perfect size for him. He is just a little guy. He wanted a bolt action so we chose that one and have been real happy with it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2012 1:25:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GPadgett] [#24]
i completely agree with  the 10/22. great gun, easy for them to learn how to operate.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#25]
My boy has a Rossi Youth 20 Gauge/.22 LR, two of my girls have a .22 marlin youth bolt gun, and my youngest girl has a .22 cricket (pink stock).

They all love them.

Link Posted: 5/18/2013 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I ended up buying my boy (8 at the time) one of the new Savage Rascals. It's an awesome little rifle. Very accurate and really run to shoot. I've shot it nearly as much as he has - I had to demonstrate and all . Now I need to buy one for his brother and of course prices jumped since last spring.
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I got the Henry youth model lever action.  I figured that he could start off loading one round at a time and it is a gun that could grow with him.
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:
My boy has a Rossi Youth 20 Gauge/.22 LR, two of my girls have a .22 marlin youth bolt gun, and my youngest girl has a .22 cricket (pink stock).

They all love them.

I did the same.  My son loves the Rossi Combo.  It has been VERY beneficial for teaching his shooting skills, as he has one shot at a time, and needs to think about where he hit or missed, rather than rat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat as my nephew does with his semi auto.

Plus you get the shotgun barrel for learning the "swing on the wing" and you can switch out to other barrels (like a .223, 7.62x39, 30-30 or .243) as he ages and is ready for deer.  Can mount scope and has a good trigger pull.   It is a lot of value for the money!
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought my boys a rascall, great little rifle to learn on, they were having issues with the other .22s from the length and the actions being so stiff
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I went a different route with my 8 year old.  I wanted his first gun to be something special, something that he would be able to and want to shoot for the rest of his life.  In the end I bought a Browning SA22.  After a few months with iron sights, I mounted a Leupold scope and we sighted it in.  

Yes, it was the most expensive 22 I've ever bought - much more than my 22s.  But it's a beautiful gun, dead on accurate and something he will always own.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#31]
CZ-452
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Got my boy the 15-22. With the collapsable stock he can grow into it. Its light weight. Looks Luke Dads gun and just because the mag holds 25 doesn't mean you have to fill it. I put 5 rds at a time in most of the time. I have filled it so he could dump the mag lets be honest that's fun.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#33]
We went with a 10/22 for our boys, starting at about age 7.  I had a bunch of parts laying around so it was an easy choice.  Hogue stock, hacked short, carbon barrel, tech sights.  Its pretty light and my boys like the semi auto and mag changes.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Essayons:
CZ-452
View Quote

I opened this thread to post this.  Love my CZ-452--it's my favorite firearm to shoot.  Give the CS-452 Scout a look.

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:25:58 PM EDT
[#35]
My 7 year old just received her first rifle and i went with the Ruger 10/22 compact. She has been training on a Daisy Powerline 35 and the 10/22 is nearly identical OAL, lenght of pull, etc. Only real difference is the weight. I debated heavily with myself starting her on a bolt gun but she has been shooting the BB gun for a couple years now and is safety responsible. I'll start with single loading magazines for a while though.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Any of those are good choices, I started mine on a ruger bearcat, easy to use with single action and we started with caps then shorts then 22 long.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top