Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2011 12:43:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unclemoak]
I will never understand why people live by the whole racking a shotgun will scare an adversary.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89235

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By unclemoak:

I will never understand why people live by the whole racking a shotgun will stare an adversary.

It just might cause them to STARE in your direction.  Then wait for the flash...

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By SharpCharge:

I will never understand why people live by the whole racking a shotgun will stare an adversary.

It just might cause them to STARE in your direction.  Then wait for the flash...

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 1:45:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lapp_Dance] [#3]
I will never understand why people live by the whole racking a shotgun will scare an adversary.

There is a USMC tech manual on the Benelli M4 (M1014) which does state that racking the action can act as a warning to would be troublemakers. I couldn't make it up if I tried.

ETA: TM10698A-10/1 Page 23
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#4]
g0ldfing3r

Default Re: Shotgun Question
I got an Express in 12ga under the bed. As a back-up for my Glock 22C on my nightstand. Order of ammo in the tube, 1 birdshot (for my warning shot), 2 00 Buck and 2 Slugs.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#5]
After reading that thread, all I can say is "wow".
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By netwt12:
g0ldfing3r

I got an Express in 12ga under the bed. As a back-up for my Glock 22C on my nightstand. Order of ammo in the tube, 1 birdshot (for my warning shot), 2 00 Buck and 2 Slugs.

Nice "buffet" of ammo.  I hate responding/quoting, but in this case I had to.  Wherever did you learn that this was a good "tactic"????

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 8:14:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:10:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gotigers] [#8]
it may scare some of them, but to the truly psychotic or real bad ass it will sound like a dinner bell.

It just tells them where to shoot. I would rather have all of the advantage that i could have.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:23:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I heard it in a gun store. So it must be true....................................

-JC
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#10]
*Sigh*
Link Posted: 5/6/2011 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#11]

I will probally catch hell for this but the best quote I've heard is
'I don't use a pump to scare somebody. I use a pump to shoot somebody.'

Travis Haley
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 9:14:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By silent17:
Originally Posted By netwt12:
g0ldfing3r

Nice "buffet" of ammo.  I hate responding/quoting, but in this case I had to.  Wherever did you learn that this was a good "tactic"????

Um, yeaaah....cause when I fear for my life I'm giving them 'warning shots'.   NOT.

Link Posted: 5/19/2011 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I racked my pump shotgun years ago when someone was trying to break into my backdoor of an apartment I was in at the time.  They ran off but the main reason I did it was that I don't keep one in the chamber on my shotguns.  However, if someone were in my house I would grab my Glock 22 as it quiet to load and I can swing it in the house a lot easier than a shotgun.
   I have to agree that racking a shotgun can be a bad thing as it lets the criminal know you are armed and know they are there.  I would rather surprise them and not have them ready for me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 12:14:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By FiremanFrank:
I racked my pump shotgun years ago when someone was trying to break into my backdoor of an apartment I was in at the time.  They ran off but the main reason I did it was that I don't keep one in the chamber on my shotguns.  However, if someone were in my house I would grab my Glock 22 as it quiet to load and I can swing it in the house a lot easier than a shotgun.
   I have to agree that racking a shotgun can be a bad thing as it lets the criminal know you are armed and know they are there.  I would rather surprise them and not have them ready for me.

Unpossible.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 53vortec:

Unpossible.

The problem isn't that it can't work, the problem is that it's not going to work every time. You can't count on it. A solid hit from 00 buck at 10 feet on an unarmored target will work much more often, though I would still hesitate to say every time.

There are other reasons to leave your chamber empty. For one, most shotguns aren't "drop safe" so if it falls out of the corner it's leaning in while you sleep... well, it's probably a very effective alarm clock.
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#16]
i you hear me rack a shotgun it will be fellow by BOOM
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I have to disagree with the whole rack argument.

When I went through firearms training with the Sheriff's Office, I was very displeased with the idea of "cruiser ready", full magazine tube, bolt closed on an empty chamber, safety on.

The way my dad taught me to load a shotgun for deer hunting doubles as how to load a shotgun for home defense: slug in the chamber followed by 00 buck in the magazine, safety on.  If you can good aim at the target: use the slug.  If not: cycle the action, and use the buck shot.

Although "racking a round" gets attention, if I grab a shotgun in a home defense situation, I have already made the decision to stop any threat with deadly force.  No warning, no shouting,  BOOM, BOOM, step back while still covering threat, scan for more threats, reload...  Once I feel that my life is no longer in danger, I will dial 911, and inform them of the situation.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I love the rifle sighted barrel and pistol grip ....

As far as a warning shot, the locked doors, the dogs, the warning signs for the dogs, the law, common sense should have all been enough of a "warning" not to break in or intrude into someone's home un-invited.

My tube is loaded with 00 buck and the chamber is empty.  I have a Mesa side saddle with 00 buck and some slugs.  This is augmented by Glock 19.  Both firearms have lights (TLR-1 on the G19 and SureFire fore end on the 870).

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#19]
As Travis Haley once said "The house alarm is going off, and your dog is barking at the intruder.  He's already in the house, do you really think a racked shotgun is going to deter him?!" Or something along those lines.  I'd prefer that the assailant not be aware of my position in a defensive role.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 1:54:22 AM EDT
[#20]
heard it in a magpul video ( not 100% sure) travis i believe says i dont rack a shotgun to scare someone i rack it to kill them
that is how i feel as well
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Since this thread keeps coming up I figured that I would just explain the why of "cruiser safe".  Cruiser safe is to prevent police officers from having accidental discharges from a long gun stored in their vehicle and if every long gun is kept in the same condition it provides some consistency in training to prevent officers getting into a critical incident with an empty chamber.  Racking a shotgun to scare somebody has always been and always will be BS.  Officers are instructed to rack the shotgun as soon as it is deployed from the vehicle.  I prefer not to store my long guns at home with rounds in the chamber for safety reasons so racking the shotgun is a nessasary step to put the gun into action.  You on the other hand may have a different living situation allowing you the ability to store the gun with a round in the chamber.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I believe the term some are looking for is "Stupidity"
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I think the sound of a AR bolt slamming into the chamber is a sexier sound.

As for warning, you guys would just light up a crackhead in your house with no warning? I'd try to get them to lay on the ground and not move first, it's my house and I have every advantage, I wouldn't just blast someone I found in my living room. If they looked small enough, I might even hand the wife the gun and go beat the hell out of them. Now, if they kick in my door at 3AM and I suspect for a second that they are after something other than my TV, they are probably getting shot. Cleaning that up would suck though...
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 1:54:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Kilroytheknifesnob:

As for warning, you guys would just light up a crackhead in your house with no warning? I'd try to get them to lay on the ground and not move first, it's my house and I have every advantage, I wouldn't just blast someone I found in my living room. If they looked small enough, I might even hand the wife the gun and go beat the hell out of them. Now, if they kick in my door at 3AM and I suspect for a second that they are after something other than my TV, they are probably getting shot. Cleaning that up would suck though...

If you are in my house and I don't know you, and you weren't expected/invited, you are getting shot.  Period.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#25]

After I read this, I wanted to go slam my head in a car door repeatedly.  Let me point out why this is a horrible idea.

1.  Best case scenario, you kick the shit out of Mr. 120 lb. Crackhead.  You break his jaw, a few ribs, smash his eye socket, knock his teeth out.

You have not only exposed yourself to what ever diseases this vermin is carrying, you have opened yourself up to legal and civil suit.  You evidently were not in fear for your life, since you did have a gun and didn't use it.  You merely wanted to take the law into your own hands, and teach Mr. Crackhead a lesson, while your wife held a gun on him.

2.  Mr. Crackhead is armed, and shoots, stabs, slashes you.

Your wife may be armed, but now she is emotional, and you are wounded and fighting with the target she needs to shoot. Plus all of the other reasons stated in scenario 1.

3.  Mr. Crackhead is not alone.

While you are dealing with Mr. Crackhead, his buddy Mr. Rockhead pops out of the shadows.  He may jump in to help, or he may attack your wife.  She may get a shot off, she may not.  Plus all of the other reasons stated in scenario 1&2.

I could go on, but I won't.

Bottom line is you should be in the mindset to kill an intruder, because there is a lot on the line.  Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 10:40:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Jack] [#26]
If you rack it he might hear you and get away.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 8:26:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Lurked this site for the past year and never found a thread to add my $.02. So here it is.

I think the racking method is a hit or miss on who is intruding. If you can scare them off and avoid a situation, that would be the best possible outcome. If you cannot, the downfalls of course being element of surprise and location concealment removed.

Personally I store my shotgun with an empty chamber and with 4 rounds in the tube, instead of 5 -  here is some reasons why:
1. It acts as it's own safety. My safety is hard to reach with a pistol grip(mossberg 500).
2. Acts as a warning to intruders.
3. It allows you add a specialty round for a certain situation. (ie .Birdshot, 00buck, sabot slug or double ball, non lethal/dummyround ect.)  
You never know, it may not be a human sniffing around your home. Wildlife may take a larger round and you want to be able to load a round fast and easy to protect you family/neighbors.
4. Slide release is hard to maneuver to without taking muzzle off threat or threat location (again pistol grip). Makes it easier to switch rounds.

00buck in the tube for intruders. In the side saddle:  Birdshot(high brass) for dogs - Double ball and Sabot Slug for large animals (bear, mountain lion, ect.)
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#28]

For your sake and the sake of your loved ones, I hope you never have to vet this idiocy in a real self/home defense situation.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 4:00:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cas] [#29]
Years ago I watched a guy in a store buy a pump shotgun for home defense. He insisted he didn't actually need any ammo because racking the gun would do the job. (He kept saying over and over again that he'd seen some Steven Segal movie knew what to do and that it would work.) Despite the clerks warnings, he wouldn't listen and wouldn't buy any ammo.

After he left the guys behind the counter and most of the customers agreed that it was probably a good thing he didn't want any ammo. One clerk commented to another to remember that guys name, as they'd probably see it on the news one day for one reason or another.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#30]
chambering a round serves one purpose and one purpose only: it let's the Bad Man know where the threat is coming from. he can choose at respond many different ways. the wost case scenario is 2-3 Bad Men and you are now the subject of a multiple attacker situation... and all of them know where you are.

The only warning the Bad Man is going to get, once he is inside my house, is muzzle flash.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By olekennyroy:

After I read this, I wanted to go slam my head in a car door repeatedly.  Let me point out why this is a horrible idea.

1.  Best case scenario, you kick the shit out of Mr. 120 lb. Crackhead.  You break his jaw, a few ribs, smash his eye socket, knock his teeth out.

You have not only exposed yourself to what ever diseases this vermin is carrying, you have opened yourself up to legal and civil suit.  You evidently were not in fear for your life, since you did have a gun and didn't use it.  You merely wanted to take the law into your own hands, and teach Mr. Crackhead a lesson, while your wife held a gun on him.

2.  Mr. Crackhead is armed, and shoots, stabs, slashes you.

Your wife may be armed, but now she is emotional, and you are wounded and fighting with the target she needs to shoot. Plus all of the other reasons stated in scenario 1.

3.  Mr. Crackhead is not alone.

While you are dealing with Mr. Crackhead, his buddy Mr. Rockhead pops out of the shadows.  He may jump in to help, or he may attack your wife.  She may get a shot off, she may not.  Plus all of the other reasons stated in scenario 1&2.

I could go on, but I won't.

Bottom line is you should be in the mindset to kill an intruder, because there is a lot on the line.  Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Well said.  

I'm a cop.  It is my job to arrest people without hurting them unnecessarily.  Despite all my training and experience doing just that, if someone breaks into my home I'm not going to try to apprehand them.  The reasons articulated above are very good ones.

At work I don't have to defend my family, I have other armed men to assist me, I'm wearing body armor, I have other force options, and at work I'm charged with accepting some personal risk to prevent injury to a suspect.  None of those things is true if I'm awoken by an intruder at 3am in my home.  You mention having "every advantage" but I can't imagine what it is.  The bad guy has the element of surprise and he has already formed his plan of action (ahead of you in the OODA loop).  All you have is knowing the house layout and whatever preparations for such an event you have taken (like arming yourself).

Don't get me wrong, if the intruder hits the floor in the prone position and is completely submissive when I encounter him I'm not going to plug him laying on the floor, but if he is doing anything aggressive or furthering his act of committing a forcible felony in my home, I'm not going to hesitate or waste time trying to talk him into compliance.

As for the shotgun racking noise, only once in my career has anyone done that to me.  I responded with another Officer to a report of a suicidal subject.  When we arrived he was in a bedroom and his roomate was talking to us at the front door when we heard the shotgun rack in the bedroom.  It definitely created some pucker factor but my partner and I didn't run away .  All it did was tip his hand as to what he had (we didn't know he was armed until we heard the gun) and caused us to take extra precautions.  It can have the same effect when the guys listening are there to harm you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#32]
haha, thats too funny...
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 11:30:00 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm more concerned about the guy loading his shotgun with a round of birdshot as a "warning shot".

Shooting at somebody is using deadly force. If you are doing that, then you   are evidently well past the warning stage.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Not sure which way to go about this one, you guys say if they hear a shotgun racked they know where you are, But in the heat of a break in I can assume the perp is on a adrenaline rush, tunnel vision, and it would be hard to identify exactly which room a racked shotgun is coming from unless you have a 1 bedroom house and no bathroom 0_o.. But I believe a intruder is a threat, and if they made any threatening movements once the lights came on there dead to right getting shot. But for example last summer my sisters house got broke into.. she walked into the living room and there was a kid on her computer surfing facebook, so drunk off his ass he thought it was his buddies house next door. Too many scenarios to list where the intruder is not a cracked out prison escapee.. ill use my judgement and a quick trigger finger any day over shoot first and ask second, for all you know your bro busted in your house to sleep off a bad night at the bar or his wife threw him out.

And yes,the 34th Infantry Division trained me well, I think I could beat a perp to the point or clear a room in my own house where I know the lay out better than anyone else.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 12:57:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By FargoZ71:
Not sure which way to go about this one, you guys say if they hear a shotgun racked they know where you are, But in the heat of a break in I can assume the perp is on a adrenaline rush, tunnel vision, and it would be hard to identify exactly which room a racked shotgun is coming from unless you have a 1 bedroom house and no bathroom 0_o.. But I believe a intruder is a threat, and if they made any threatening movements once the lights came on there dead to right getting shot. But for example last summer my sisters house got broke into.. she walked into the living room and there was a kid on her computer surfing facebook, so drunk off his ass he thought it was his buddies house next door. Too many scenarios to list where the intruder is not a cracked out prison escapee.. ill use my judgement and a quick trigger finger any day over shoot first and ask second, for all you know your bro busted in your house to sleep off a bad night at the bar or his wife threw him out.

And yes,the 34th Infantry Division trained me well, I think I could beat a perp to the point or clear a room in my own house where I know the lay out better than anyone else.

I occassionally have to force entry into buildings for a variety of reasons.  It gets the blood pumping, there is some adrenaline, but you don't get tunnel vision so bad you can't perceive anything.  Also it is important to remember that a home invasion burglar does this for a living.  Things that got my adrenaline pumping when I started working as a cop 10 years ago don't even get my heart rate elevated anymore.  You are far more likely to experience performance loss from an adrenaline dump than the home invader.  It is unwise to make such assumptions.

Room clearing solo, no matter how good you are or how well you know the layout, still leaves the odds stacked against you.  Even a well trained team in full armor and armed to the teeth can take casualties from a single barricaded opponent.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 1:50:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll rack mine to load the second round . the second boom may scare off a third intruder if there happens to be one .

A friend asked me to load him some rocksalt for less than lethal for his first round . Loaded some up , we went to the range and I showed him how stupid that idea was . at 5 yards it wouldn't break the paper , I would have almost let him try it if it wasn't for the wad . I told him that the less lethal option he needed was his front door , after they made it past that , it had already started a rapidly escalating threat . He lives in the country , so no drunken buddies and long response times .
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By cjames3:
heard it in a magpul video ( not 100% sure) travis i believe says i dont rack a shotgun to scare someone i rack it to kill them
that is how i feel as well

Exactly!He calls that posturing it was in Magpuls ''Art of the Dynamic Shotgun''
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By BlindFaith429:
*Sigh*

pretty much...
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Only racking i believe in is putting it back on the gun rack after I've shot all my shells first.
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Sound doesn't travel far in my house, so I doubt my 590 will make enough noise (except when fired) to intimidate anyone.
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#42]
My daughter is blind and mentally handicapped. She doesn't understand the concept of what a "gun" is, so she's really not interested. I keep my 12 gauge loaded with 00buck in the tube, chamber empty. I know there is no way, IF she first found the weapon and decided to start playing with it, that she could rack the slide, turn the safety off, and pull the trigger. So for me it's a safety issue. Now if someone broke into my house, I grabbed it and racked the slide and they DID run off, well then that's awesome. I would probably do a little dance.

A lot of this comes from Hollywood. Watch movies, how many times they rack their weapons. I forget what I was watching the other day, but someone had a shotgun and I think I counted like 5 or 6 racks before the first round was fired. It was like, take the gun out of the safe, rack it. Getting in the car, rack it. Getting out of the car, rack it. Someone talking smack, rack it. I said to my wife, this guy is going to have NO AMMO by the time he shoots. But of course, when they open fire, he's able to shoot like 15 or 16 shots before loading, and loading only happened when it was a dramatic instance of ducking behind cover and having some time.
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#43]
I keep my Mossberg emtpy with 8 rounds of 00 buck on the side saddle. I have a family and prefer not to have any weapons with one in the chamber.
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#44]
It's tactically unsound, IMO. Violates noise discipline, thus giving your opponent (who is already on the offensive) the opportunity to determine your location, and conceding him/her yet more tactical advantage. Also, you may forget to cock your weapon, which could be even worse. Either way, the key to winning a gunfight in my opinion is aggressiveness and seizing the offensive. Going in with a weapon that isn't combat ready doesn't lend itself well to this thought process. Look at it this way-  if hunters cocked their shotguns just prior to engaging their game, their success rate would plummet. If you want to scare an adversary with "shotgun cocking noises", why not just record the sound of a shotgun being cocked and keep it ready on a MP3 player or something? It would save a couple hundred bucks a decent shotgun would cost. BTW, the last statement was sarcastic.
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#45]
This stems from Hollywood. The same people who believe racking a shotgun scares the bad guy, probably think the shot of 00buck with send the perp flying 10ft across the room...in slow motion.
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 10:44:17 PM EDT
[#46]
I think the only thing that could be audible is the click of the safety...well for a moment at least.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#47]

this. I would prefer them to be scared by the 00 buck coming their way.

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

It just might get some stupid jerk expecting them to break and run shot to.  Its so stupid.  I'm so sick of hearing how "effective" it is.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Majority of the proponents of "give them a rack warning" on that link seem to be from very blue states. They have a much different mindset.

At least they own guns.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top