Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2009 3:02:35 PM EDT

What is the best load for inside the home I have a four year old little girl and don't want to blast through the wall? Thanks Barry

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 3:32:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: N2CH_556] [#1]
I'm in the same boat as you (kids in adjacent rooms) and would have to take that into account with any shots fired from my rifle or pistol.

Truth is, any ammo (Rifle/Shotgun/Pistol) capable of penetrating 12" of ballistic gelatin (the FBI standard/minimum for effective self-defense ammo) will also be capable of penetrating drywall, etc.  So, beware.  You might want to check out some of the tacked threads at the top of the Ammunition Forum.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo: SHOTGUN  

ETA: since this is the Shotty Training Forum, perhaps someone will be along shortly with some additional, useful TTP.
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not a shotgun "expert" but had one issued to me for the better part of 20 years.  My first question is what distance are you talking about.  Down the hallway?  How many steps is it?  6 steps, 8 steps, 10 steps, 12?  I'll tell you that the average homeowner/renter I've had the opportunity to speak with use birdshot.  Quite honestly, at 10 feet it's not going to matter.  It'll make one big hole.  Interior walls are usually drywall of varying thickness 1/2 to 5/8" thick, maybe some insulation, then another sheet of drywall.  The older plaster/lath walls, if in good condition are stronger.  For a few bucks you can make a mock interior wall and check it out yourself.  I think if you search youtube you might already find someone has beat you to it.

Anyway, #4 buck loaded in a decent shotgun would make a pretty good fight stopper.  But shoot it through your choice of weapon.  Hell, I'd hate to be on the receiving end of a load of BB's at across the room distance.  Million years ago when I was a kid, my buddies and killed a shit load of coyotes with shotguns loaded with BB's.  One shot one kill when we'd call them in to about 15 steps.  I've no doubt it'd do the same to a street monster.
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 3:28:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Justice23] [#3]
Go to the Box O truth when you are unsure.

Basic Shotgun Requirements

I suggest the basic shotgun used for home defense should have the following characteristics:

1. It should be a 12 gauge.

A 20 gauge can be effective with the proper ammunition, but you don't get something for nothing and it will not be as effective as a 12 gauge.

2. It should be loaded with Buckshot.

Any buckshot will reach the FBI required minimum penetration of 12 inches, but studies seem to suggest that #1 or 00 buckshot are best.

Birdshot is only for practice or shooting little birds.

Link Posted: 6/27/2009 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#4]
www.polyshok.com

Hard for civis to get though.
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 11:09:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I use #1 buckshot.  I was going to load the shotgun with non-lethal rounds but read in the NRA somewhere that if you hurt the intruder, he can escape and sue you so I just go with the buckshot.
Link Posted: 7/3/2009 9:18:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Any load that can effectively neutralize and aggressor it will go through interior walls. Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#7]
AA birdshot.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#8]
good ole birdshot. cheap and easy to get
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#9]
The correct response would be to continue using buckshot and check your housing layout to make sure you can keep yourself between any home invaders and your childrens bedroom.
Link Posted: 5/13/2010 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By tybone:

Link Posted: 5/27/2010 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#11]
00 Buck in my scatter gun. boys down stairs, baby girl behind me. everybody knows the "stay down" signal and I know how to fix drywall
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mike_556:

lol How are people STILL recommending this?
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Grey_Man:
Originally Posted By mike_556:

lol How are people STILL recommending this?

I dunno
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Had the same problem... sons room is directly between our room and the front door..... honestly I pulled the drywall out on the wall facing our bedroom and added 1/2 inch plywood and put drywall back up... imp currently using 12ga with #4 buck... should still do nasty things to a goblin but not over penetrate.... not to mention #4 buck is around 25cal with 29 pellets... I think of it as a rough equivalent to dumping and 30rnd ar mag with one pull of the trigger....
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#15]
This is a software problem not a hardware problem.

Take a knee before you shoot. So that any projectile passing through the suspect exits at an upward angle
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#16]
im a big fan of the remington law enforcement reduced recoil 12 ga 00 buck-

it dosent cycle a semi auto too well, so shoot it out of a pump gun.  

it dosent seem to penetrate as much as standard express buck, but its a hell of alot better than shooting dove loads at people intent on doing you harm-

oh yeah- and i have 6 slugs in the side saddle, incase the fight gets taken outdoors.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#17]
and to think ive been doing it wrong the whole time. will be going out to buy some #1 or 00 buck shells very soon. didnt know that bird shot wasnt good enough. thanks for helping protect my family's and my life
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By David_ESM:
The correct response would be to continue using buckshot and check your housing layout to make sure you can keep yourself between any home invaders and your childrens bedroom.

we have winner
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By connor327:
and to think ive been doing it wrong the whole time. will be going out to buy some #1 or 00 buck shells very soon. didnt know that bird shot wasnt good enough. thanks for helping protect my family's and my life

Another one converted.  Still many more that unfortunately don't want to look at the facts.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I can't understand why anyone would recommend birdshot.  Why would you even consider using birdshot on a human.  Would you use it on a deer or a bear?  I don't mean for this to sound mean but the people who are recommending birdshot need to stop.  If you want to use it fine, you have been advised not to.  It is your life.  But stop recommending it to others before you get someone killed.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#21]
At across the room distances, I even get the wad of a 7.5 birdshot load to go through sheetrock.  But of course everything is bigger in Texas.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 12:39:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I'll stick with my federal 00 buck
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 9:41:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Its simple, don't miss.  As stated anything fired inside to stop an intruder has the potental to pentrate if missed.  Work on not missing by more range work, light on weapon to ID target, sights that you can easily use and see (red dots, lasers), know your layout and good weapons handling.

CD
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:18:39 AM EDT
[#24]
3 inch 00 buck?
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 11:18:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smoketheresfire] [#25]
Originally Posted By bricktopvinnie:
3 inch 00 buck?

Unnecessary for HD, IMO.

3" are for ducks.
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 11:35:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR15fan] [#26]
N/M
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 11:17:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I like the Hornady Critical Defense OO Buck.  The full power black hulls.  They pattern GREAT out of my 590A1.

I'll be picking up some Federal OO next to try out.  From what everyone says, you can't go wrong with those.

I do like Federal's Hydra-Shok slugs (same as the Tru-Ball if I'm not mistaken)
Link Posted: 4/10/2011 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Federal LE132-00 low-recoil 2 3/4" in the gun and on a side saddle, with some LEB 127 LRS low-recoil slugs in a butt cuff.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Old thread, but does anyone else use a 20 gauge?  I use Winchester XX #3 buckshot, myself.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Well,

I used to have a 20.  But got rid of it...my house burnt up...

Anyhow,

I do understand the theory behind the any shot will work method.

If you are real close the shot will still be in one bunch and ack more like a slug than a pattern

That being said, any round is better than no round...

So if you have a 20 it's better loaded than empty...

Also bird shot is better than a blank.

All things considered...most homes are not big enough to really matter the type of shot...you'll be shooting 6-10 feet.

My place, well 20-40' is more likely, hallway on 3rd floor is 70' long level is approx 4000 square feet...so bird shot doesn't do it for my situation.

I use #1 buck. And yess have to know where the house guests and family are at.

But I do keep 2 ars in the master...so shotgun is a backup...

B
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top