User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's why I went to an RMR on my duty Glock. I'm looking at 30 to 50 yard long hallways with zero time to do anything but engage.

The RMR is a revelation about your trigger control.
View Quote
My duty and off duty both wear an RMR.

I wont go without if possible.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's why I went to an RMR on my duty Glock. I'm looking at 30 to 50 yard long hallways with zero time to do anything but engage.

The RMR is a revelation about your trigger control.

Probably headed that way , myself.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's great and all but doesn't help me in the school environment where I may get no chance to run to my car for a long gun.  In patrol, what you are doing makes perfect sense.
View Quote
If your an SRO and your rifle is staged in your car, you're doing it wrong.

We have 6 schools and i fought one of the principals on that issue. She wasn't going to short change one of my officers and create a nightmare scenario.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If your an SRO and your rifle is staged in your car, you're doing it wrong.

We have 6 schools and i fought one of the principals on that issue. She wasn't going to short change one of my officers and create a nightmare scenario.
View Quote
We don't have the budget for the gun safes in the offices yet.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#5]
My friend works streets in Southeast D.C.  They train them to hit the broad side of a barn at conversational distances. Anything better than that and you are on your own time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#6]
most cops can't shoot handguns worth a shit

most military can't shoot handguns worth a shit

most civilians can't shoot handguns worth a shit

for all the above....Some can shoot quite well, but they work at it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I consider myself an above average shooter, but probably not great. I always cringe at the marksmanship and weapons handling skills at our agency ranges. I’d say 75% are weak shooters, 15% are average, 10% are obvious gun guys/gals and can work a firearm really well.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Most only shoot once a year for qualifying and aren't gun people. They are shitty shooters. Some are gun people and shoot often and are good shooters. But they are the exception to the rule. At the end of the day cops are just like everyone else, average citizens. Same with military. Most couldn't shoot for shit, except for the few gun folks. Doesn't matter if you wear a uniform or not. Only people who enjoy shooting guns often are good at it. Practice makes perfect.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looking more closely at the details:

I am wondering if the military trained handgun shooters raised the "police" average up
View Quote
From reports I've read on NYC cops, they would have raised them about 49%.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 1:09:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We don't have the budget for the gun safes in the offices yet.
View Quote
we ended up going with security cabinets ($60) over safes, as the offices are small and lockable as well. The SRO has to have their rifle, if its across the school in the parking lot you might as well take them off the table. If you plan on fighting an active shooter with just a sidearm, odds aren't good
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

we ended up going with security cabinets ($60) over safes, as the offices are small and lockable as well. The SRO has to have their rifle, if its across the school in the parking lot you might as well take them off the table. If you plan on fighting an active shooter with just a sidearm, odds aren't good
View Quote
I agree with you.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Totally depends on the agency, and the officer even in agencies where they provide solid training.
View Quote
This.
Ours was atrocious as everyone knows and from what what my old co-workers say it hasn't gotten any better since this article was written 6 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Chicago PD. 30 round qualification once a year. Hit the target 23 times you pass!  Heard on more than one occasion an officer say they only shoot once a year!

Learned more from Gun Magazines and then Youtube than I ever did from Dept instruction.

For me, shooting became a hobby, stress reliever, and a date night activity.

Qualification several yrs ago. Target came back with 34 holes in the paper!
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

most cops can't shoot handguns worth a shit

most military can't shoot handguns worth a shit

most civilians can't shoot handguns worth a shit

for all the above....Some can shoot quite well, but they work at it.
View Quote
Very accurate post.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Most only shoot once a year for qualifying and aren't gun people. They are shitty shooters. Some are gun people and shoot often and are good shooters. But they are the exception to the rule. At the end of the day cops are just like everyone else, average citizens. Same with military. Most couldn't shoot for shit, except for the few gun folks. Doesn't matter if you wear a uniform or not. Only people who enjoy shooting guns often are good at it. Practice makes perfect.
View Quote
This is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Like its been said before, their training as whole is "not so great". Like alot of big departments , take for instance EMS (me being a Medic) our standard of training is not so great either. Can you run a basic code, recognize a stroke, differentiate a right sided MI. If you want to get really good at it (your profession) you got to get into the thick of it, and stay up on your training. Those who want to excel will seek out more training on their own time, and sometimes your own dime. Shooting courses these days I see alot more officers than I used too. And they are more enthusiastic about learning and becoming more proficient.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Police firearms training is geared towards the lowest denominator and built around the smallest appropriation imaginable.

Stand and shoot paper. For Officer Beetus, even that is difficult.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top