Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2017 4:22:37 PM EDT
Hey guys I'm wanting some reactive targets for pistol training. I'm Leary of steel because of  ricochet. I'm leaning towards the rubber dummies but steel is like half the cost. Am I over thinking this or is it a legit concern for some whom shoots alone in the boonies.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#1]
if you are 100 yards away for rifle and 50 feet for pistol you will be ok.  Many people shoot at half those distances and are still alive.  just depends how safe you want to be, could also get frangible.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I shoot a steel swinger up to 45 colt/357 as close as 20 feet or so. I use cast lead bullets though
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#3]
properly designed steel targets are safe within 7 yards for a pistol
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 5:07:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
properly designed steel targets are safe within 7 yards for a pistol
View Quote
This. I limit it to 10+ myself. You gotta wear eye pro!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#5]
for rifle I shoot nothing jacketed inside 100 feet, 20 feet for pistol

but that's just me
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably not a problem any more, but never shoot a TV picture tube (one of those boob tubes) head on with a 22lr. Bounces right back.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably not a problem any more, but never shoot a TV picture tube (one of those boob tubes) head on with a 22lr. Bounces right back.
View Quote
LOL!  One of those things you only do once.

MAC or another toob channel had a good interview with a plate target manufacture.  Dangers involved with shooting mild steel plate vs hardend.

Ah here it is.  So you have a good question.

Don't shoot yourself in the eye
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I just did this and was overthinking it also. Here's my setup, no issues with bounce back. It's AR500 1/2".

Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a dueling stand on a forward angle about 10 degrees, it's been so long I can't recall the company, but a google search will give you results.

With the forward angle I've never caught a bullet or any splatter even from 15'. 

The downside is that in order to assure plate movement calibers starting with a 4 have an advantage.

I was shooting with a friend who had a 9mm, a good percentage of his plates didn't rotate over unless he hit then in the center or outward.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top