Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2017 6:48:50 PM EDT
What drills of these would be worthwhile to practice? Are there any other drills that are NOT on here that would be worthwhile?

http://pistol-training.com/drills
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Gonna need more info.

What are your goals/intended use?  Weapon system?  How skilled are you already, how much/often can you shoot? etc.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I get out to the range at least a few times a month when the weather is decent. I shoot mostly Sigs, a Glock and a revolver.  I haven't been shooting for very long so I'm somewhat shitty so probably better accuracy at a longer distance and I'd like to get into self defense also.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Here are a couple of things that come to mind:

1) Get 30 or so dummy rounds and practice Type I, Type II, and Type III malfunction clearing.
Once you get comfortable, start using a timer and stress yourself to do it faster.

2) Fully load a magazine (with the dummy rounds) and practice reloading/seating a full magazine on a closed slide.

Once you get comfortable with that, use a timer and practice tactical reloads (hence the above exercise) and emergency reloads (again, using the dummy rounds).

Proficiency in reloading (under stress) and malfunction clearing are two great fundamental skills to master.

These skills are handy with the rifle/carbine, too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#4]
The biggest thing people mess up when firing a pistol is they learn bad fundamentals or move too fast for their ability level.  You get the most bang for your buck when dry firing.  Don't do bullshit lazy fundamentals though.  Treat it like the real thing.  Draw, present, use good fundamentals, break your shot with no movement in the gun.  Start back over.

Then go to the range and stand at 5 meters.  

Start at position 4 and fire at a comfortable pace with good fundamentals that allows you to group well.
Repeat from position 3.
Repeat from position 1.

Start over at 7 meters.
Then start over at 10.
Go to 15, 20, 25, etc if you're feeling adventurous

It's not sexy, but it is a very efficient way to improve and as long as you focus on your fundamentals, you'll start to notice your speed and accuracy increasing with time.

From there, you can start the process all over with the controlled pairs, failure drills, 5 round strings, multiple targets, multiple in depth, slide lock and tac mag reloads, etc.

Everything is a progression.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you had any training in the fundamentals--as in, real, in-person instruction?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top