BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Slightly off topic but there was an article on a computer industry news site I follow reporting that IBM is shutting down the only remaining IBM office in Endicott. With that shutdown, IBM will have completely vacated the community where it was started one hundred years ago. IBM will still have a large presence in New York, including headquarters in Armonk, but just not in Endicott. I knew the shut down plant #1 about 20 years ago but did not realize they still had a presence there.
View Quote

Mom, grandpa and his brother worked there are all three retired. The golden age of IBM when they took care of their employees and that complex was a little city unto itself. Sad to drive through there now and see what it's become.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Slightly off topic but there was an article on a computer industry news site I follow reporting that IBM is shutting down the only remaining IBM office in Endicott. With that shutdown, IBM will have completely vacated the community where it was started one hundred years ago. IBM will still have a large presence in New York, including headquarters in Armonk, but just not in Endicott. I knew the shut down plant #1 about 20 years ago but did not realize they still had a presence there.
View Quote

I got laid off from IBM along with 900 other people on November 28, 2000. I do not need a job if I move back, just a grocery store.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like it's better to move the rest of the family out of NY.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, the health decline has taken a bad turn. We’re accelerating plans to move.

Did NY pass a law that roughly approximates constructive intent with AR parts? Trying to decide how to handle my collection. Wondering whether it’s even worth it to bring parted out rifles.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well, the health decline has taken a bad turn. We’re accelerating plans to move.

Did NY pass a law that roughly approximates constructive intent with AR parts? Trying to decide how to handle my collection. Wondering whether it’s even worth it to bring parted out rifles.
View Quote

To date, I have not seen a NYS law dealing with constructive intent. Also, cant say that Ive seen any prosecutor locally (upstate) attempt something like that despite having a large number of criminal gun mfg cases (one individual making 80% guns for gangs). What part of the state are you moving to OP?
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 8:35:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

To date, I have not seen a NYS law dealing with constructive intent. Also, cant say that Ive seen any prosecutor locally (upstate) attempt something like that despite having a large number of criminal gun mfg cases (one individual making 80% guns for gangs). What part of the state are you moving to OP?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Onondaga County. Much sooner than we originally anticipated.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

There was some hysteria around proposed ghost gun legislation that it might outlaw assembling any two components without a license.
I think we're over that and the worst language didn't get passed anyway.

The safe act clearly allows two ARs which could be upper swapped to one illegal one.

Some other state bans have included constructive clauses but not us, yet.

If you're talking about storing a bunch of 'illegal' rifles separated into parts but with no compliant configurations available that's different.
Very, very unlikely anybody ever cares or searches but if they did they'd probably declare constructive possession of an arsenal of AWs.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#8]
@thirsty

If you have to sell most of your firearms but still want a semi auto rifle in NY pick up a compliant one such as a FightLite SCR or a Mini 14 before you move here. Once you are in NY you will need a purchase permit for any semi auto regardless of so called "evil features".

Link Posted: 6/26/2023 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I appreciate all of the advice in this thread and in PMs. It’s helpful information to “reintegrate” into NY.

I had one pending NFA stamp cancelled, about to turn in the others as well. It stinks. Suppressors are fun.

And as far as the sudden need to move quickly, all I’ll say is fuck cancer.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:19:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Safe travels thirsty. Good luck with your family.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:31:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I believe you can retain your NFA items if you store them with a friend in a dedicated safe that said person does NOT have access to per ATF.

I don’t believe this has changed.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn.

Looks like I’m required to recertify my permit with NYSP on Sept 1, the very same day I’m scheduled to return to the state. I technically won’t have a permit to recertify as my change of address needs to clear the DMV before the pistol license unit will change my address.

Onondaga Pistol is willing to overlook the fact I failed to surrender my permit but this adds a new layer of complexity to the situation. And they may consider using out of state disposition records to adjust my license for those handguns disposed of here in Ohio.

I think my best bet at this point is to surrender my permit and reapply.

Anyone here “in the know” that might have advice? PM me. Otherwise I’m drafting a letter to the pistol unit to surrender my permit.

What a clusterfuck.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Strongly suggest not surrendering your permit. In Onondaga County they are way out (figure close to a year) before you would get your new permit. Also you would now be required to take the 18hr course.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Damn.

Looks like I’m required to recertify my permit with NYSP on Sept 1, the very same day I’m scheduled to return to the state. I technically won’t have a permit to recertify as my change of address needs to clear the DMV before the pistol license unit will change my address.

Onondaga Pistol is willing to overlook the fact I failed to surrender my permit but this adds a new layer of complexity to the situation. And they may consider using out of state disposition records to adjust my license for those handguns disposed of here in Ohio.

I think my best bet at this point is to surrender my permit and reapply.

Anyone here “in the know” that might have advice? PM me. Otherwise I’m drafting a letter to the pistol unit to surrender my permit.

What a clusterfuck.
View Quote

I would just recertify it once you have your new address.  I am sure many older NY folks have never recertified and I have not heard of permits getting pulled because of it (at least in my AO.)

If that doesn't work, then reapply?
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Just updated my address. Thought for certain I was going to get arrested.

ETA: there’s more to it but I’m going to refrain from posting until I’ve talked to an attorney.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top