BCM
User Panel

Page / 54
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Call me a pessimist but I have been playing this game of "Lucy and the Football" for decades. Reading through the article I came across this section:
Not all those lawsuits will necessarily be successful. The Texas attorney general, for example, argues the Supreme Court ruling doesn't affect the state's age limit law, and more state and local governments can certainly defend their gun laws as being in line with U.S. history.

Adam Skaggs, chief counsel and policy director at the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, predicted that when the dust settles, only laws "along the margins" will eventually be struck down.

"Most judges are going to see these for what they are, which is overreaching and lacking in any merit," he said.

Backers of gun restrictions can also look to a concurring opinion from Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

Joined by Chief Justice John Roberts, Kavanaugh stressed that the Second Amendment does allow for a "variety" of gun regulations. He cited the use of background checks and mental health records as part of a licensing process to carry a gun and noted that states can forbid the carrying of firearms in "sensitive places" such as schools and government buildings.
This pretty much sums up what happened after Heller and McDonald. Bruen is a stronger ruling but it requires SCOTUS to somehow enforce it. If the circuit courts continue to thumb their nose at the 2A, then SCOTUS is going to have a massive workload thrown at it and with the clock ticking due to the ages Alito and Thomas. Add to that, if what played out in Kansas this past Tuesday holds through November, then 2023 is going to be a mess.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#3]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:
August 23 can't get here soon enough

https://c.tenor.com/b2VkoMV4hrYAAAAC/tombstone-im-your-huckleberry.gif

You spelled "bitch" wrong...
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Sensitive spaces and private property bans will be used by antigun states to make carry practically useless. Kavanaugh is typical of the 'sensitive' blather - oh, churches are sensitive as God might turn him into a pillar of salt for allowing a gun in church. No crazy will come to a library - or perhaps someone will read a book and that will turn a licensed carrier into a maniac. Lot of evidence of that, Beer Boy.

So loosening up the laws to get useless permits and higher capacity guns that you can't carry - so what. Scotus lives in an ivory tower of theoretic RKBA but has little idea of the day to day life of gun carry. They babble about levels of scrutiny, historical precedent and then leave tremendous loopholes to make the permits useless.

They could have precluded this if they had truly thought about it. They are not that committed or bright.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By EXSUNY:
Sensitive spaces and private property bans will be used by antigun states to make carry practically useless. Kavanaugh is typical of the 'sensitive' blather - oh, churches are sensitive as God might turn him into a pillar of salt for allowing a gun in church. No crazy will come to a library - or perhaps someone will read a book and that will turn a licensed carrier into a maniac. Lot of evidence of that, Beer Boy.

So loosening up the laws to get useless permits and higher capacity guns that you can't carry - so what. Scotus lives in an ivory tower of theoretic RKBA but has little idea of the day to day life of gun carry. They babble about levels of scrutiny, historical precedent and then leave tremendous loopholes to make the permits useless.

They could have precluded this if they had truly thought about it. They are not that committed or bright.
View Quote

Welcome fellow Gun enthusiast…

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

CSB
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Welcome……but we know what your agenda is

Say hi to Kathy
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Disgruntled former state employee caught up in the SUNY scandal?
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#9]
What are you talking about? My point was that the new law will negate useful permits and that is a problem. How is that supporting Hochul or having anything to do with SUNY scandals? Agenda - I think reading comprehension might be a problem for some.

The laws in response to the decision on 9/1 makes the permits useless. Scotus location ban  language seemed to suggest the path for this. NOW, do you understand?
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#10]
What are you talking about? My point was that the new law will negate useful permits and that is a problem. How is that supporting Hochul or having anything to do with SUNY scandals? Agenda - I think reading comprehension might be a problem for some.

The laws in response to the decision on 9/1 makes the permits useless. Scotus location ban  language seemed to suggest the path for this. NOW, do you understand?
View Quote
Guys are probably a little skeptical of you because you just joined.

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

How pray tell did the ruling which says you cannot make everything a restricted or sensitive place pave the way for them to make EVERYTHING A RESTRICTED OR SENSITIVE PLACE?
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:26:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4P99] [#12]

How pray tell did the ruling which says you cannot make everything a restricted or sensitive place pave the way for them to make EVERYTHING A RESTRICTED OR SENSITIVE PLACE?
View All Quotes

Yeah really. The majority opinion, which is the only opinion that holds the weght of law and sets precedence, says it quite well. SCOTUS was crystal clear, especially with text history and tradition as the bar. It's the low IQ NY state attorneys and legislators that don't understand the ruling enough to realize every gun law they have passed and are trying to pass is unconstitutional. No questions about it now.

NY and Hochul drafted this concealed carry improvement law years ago hoping for intermediate scrutiny or a watered down strict scrutiny. When Thomas dropped the bomb of text history and tradition, they quickly started to re-write the law to comply, but quickly realized that every statute in the law was a no-go with the Thomas ruling. So they said fuck it and passed the whole law without changes.

How is this not clear?

And then a nice little twist of the knife to strike AWBs and mag laws and ammo restriction laws...

And the Kavanaugh concurrence that everyone thinks affirms licensing but actually just says "this ruling wasn't asked to address licensing, but we know licensing in most liberal states is BS...so bring us a suit and we will overturn licensing too:"

And really you don't even need any of these gems to eviscerate gun laws...

Did they have laws in the late 1700s that banned carry basically everywhere? No. Maybe a couple old English laws banning carry in certain flammable areas...but that was fire code due to black powder. Not applicable today.

Did they have laws in the 1700s banning certain guns? Nope.

Did they have laws banning the making of homemade guns? Nope.

Did they require training and licensing to own a gun in the late 1700s? Nope.

If there was no analogous law it's unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DaveM4P99:

Yeah really. The majority opinion, which is the only opinion that holds the weght of law and sets precedence, says it quite well. SCOTUS was crystal clear, especially with text history and tradition as the bar. It's the low IQ NY state attorneys and legislators that don't understand the ruling enough to realize every gun law they have passed and are trying to pass is unconstitutional. No questions about it now.

NY and Hochul drafted this concealed carry improvement law years ago hoping for intermediate scrutiny or a watered down strict scrutiny. When Thomas dropped the bomb of text history and tradition, they quickly started to re-write the law to comply, but quickly realized that every statute in the law was a no-go with the Thomas ruling. So they said fuck it and passed the whole law without changes.

How is this not clear?

https://i.imgur.com/0Esnrsx.png

https://i.imgur.com/wdOdjLL.jpeg

And then a nice little twist of the knife to strike AWBs and mag laws and ammo restriction laws...

https://i.imgur.com/B9oEGdk.png

And the Kavanaugh concurrence that everyone thinks affirms licensing but actually just says "this ruling wasn't asked to address licensing, but we know licensing in most liberal states is BS...so bring us a suit and we will overturn licensing too:"

https://i.imgur.com/YADhiML.png

Did they have laws in the late 1700s that banned carry basically everywhere? No. Maybe a couple old English laws banning carry in certain flammable areas...but that was fire code due to black powder. Not applicable today.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#14]

How is this not clear?

View All Quotes

How is this not clear?

Thank you…..well said
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#15]
And, you can't make the entire island of Manhattan sensitive BUT you make every business banned unless they specifically allow carry. That destroys useful carry. How many businesses are gong to do that?

If you folks can't understand that this provision on 9/1 is devastating and all the quotes are meaningless if this law operates, you are not just getting it. You can't go into the gas station, the market, etc., etc.

Thus, back to court for years of litigation and it is not clear that the court will not decide that this is property rights issue and let it go.

Your quotes are meaningless in the operative environment on 9/1 - NO SIGN - you are a felon.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#16]
And, you can't make the entire island of Manhattan sensitive BUT you make every business banned unless they specifically allow carry. That destroys useful carry. How many businesses are gong to do that?

If you folks can't understand that this provision on 9/1 is devastating and all the quotes are meaningless if this law operates, you are not just getting it. You can't go into the gas station, the market, etc., etc.

Thus, back to court for years of litigation and it is not clear that the court will not decide that this is property rights issue and let it go.

Your quotes are meaningless in the operative environment on 9/1 - NO SIGN - you are a felon.
View Quote
I'm fairly certain all of us here understand what is going on.

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 5:44:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4P99] [#17]

View Quote

That was just Thomas giving an example of a ridiculous sensitive place law...because NY has deemed NYC sensitive since 1911.

Thomas clearly says almost no places are sensitive.

I'm all for private property rights but the state can't decide that preemptively for all private properties.

If a business wants to put up a no guns sign...and you disobey and refuse to leave, it would be a trespassing charge. Should not be anything to do with a weapons charge.

Thomas was clear. Now the NY courts just have to abide.

Which I agree is the tough part.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Just JB Weld a "Guns Allowed" sign near the entrance on your way in.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By fighter443:
I'm fairly certain all of us here understand what is going on.

View Quote

Yep, especially since we have had numerous threads on it but the new guy just jumped in.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Yeah thanks pal... none of us were aware of that until you graced us with your presence... Might be why we pushed for Nolo to come here to fight this.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BushBoar:

They understand.  They just don't care.
View Quote

Throw enough crap against the wall and some is bound to stick.  Brought to you by the poo flinging apes in the NYS legislature.

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Bushman_269:

Throw enough crap against the wall and some is bound to stick.  Brought to you by the poo flinging apes in the NYS legislature.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bushman_269:
Originally Posted By BushBoar:

They understand.  They just don't care.

Why do you have to insult apes dude?
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I miss the old days, when @highspeedforlife was the gatekeeper for the new guys - no one was welcome anywhere!

Yes, they purposefully have passed stupid legislation that cannot justified legally in light of the Supreme Court. We know.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#25]
They understand.  Don’t underestimate politicians. This was a big FU to SCOTUS.   And to the Upstate voters.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:39:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Abom:
They understand.  Don't underestimate politicians. This was a big FU to SCOTUS.   And to the Upstate voters.
View Quote
Agreed.

That's why I think nolo is notifying so many of the counties that their qualified immunity is null and void and he I'll be suing them personally.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:34:15 AM EDT
[#27]
22ers
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#28]
***Last call***

Anyone interested in joining us for dinner w/ Nolo in Syracuse on Monday 8/22 at around 5:30-6pm, please DM me. Do not email me from the site.

We will pick a spot this weekend and communicate plans via DM. Those of you who have already contacted me are good to go, I’ve got you on the list already. Hoping to see many of you
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I filed for a permit renewal over a month and a half ago.

The county of Nassau charged my credit card.  I spoke with pistol licensing and they have my permit renewal info.  I have yet to receive a new permit.

Here I sit with an expired permit now.

Anyone else having this issue?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 7:05:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Adirondack47:
***Last call***

Anyone interested in joining us for dinner w/ Nolo in Syracuse on Monday 8/22 at around 5:30-6pm, please DM me. Do not email me from the site.

We will pick a spot this weekend and communicate plans via DM. Those of you who have already contacted me are good to go, I’ve got you on the list already. Hoping to see many of you
View Quote

Great, another list I'm on...  
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By fighter443:

The county of Nassau charged my credit card.
View Quote
The county appreciates your $200 donation
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:34:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sherm8404] [#32]

is valerie the person that would remove your restriction? the guidance came from the Supreme Court, so if "her" decision is predicated on "proper cause" which is unconstitutional, i would not like to be her at this moment.
View Quote

Valerie is a clerk there.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:58:30 PM EDT
[#33]
@nolocontendere what can you tell us about the states response today?
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 5:06:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Knowing NYS, what “stick” does SCOTUS have that would ever make NYS comply with their decision?

NYS operates as a nation unto itself.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By BillyBones:
Knowing NYS, what "stick" does SCOTUS have that would ever make NYS comply with their decision?

View Quote
The only "stick" is DOJ and Federal Marshal's or troops like was done to integrate schools down south. But since DOJ is pretty much against private citizenry being armed, I seriously doubt DOJ would file suit against NYS for ignoring a SCOTUS ruling. We will have flying purple unicorn's fa_ting rainbows long before DOJ goes after a state for ignoring the 2nd Amendment. It was nice to believe that the June 23rd (Thomas's and my birthday) Bruen ruling would change things but we already have two post-Bruen rulings out now from courts that basically ignore it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Aardvark:
The only "stick" is DOJ and Federal Marshal's or troops like was done to integrate schools down south. But since DOJ is pretty much against private citizenry being armed, I seriously doubt DOJ would file suit against NYS for ignoring a SCOTUS ruling. We will have flying purple unicorn's fa_ting rainbows long before DOJ goes after a state for ignoring the 2nd Amendment. It was nice to believe that the June 23rd (Thomas's and my birthday) Bruen ruling would change things but we already have two post-Bruen rulings out now from courts that basically ignore it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aardvark:
Originally Posted By BillyBones:
Knowing NYS, what "stick" does SCOTUS have that would ever make NYS comply with their decision?

I believe the "others" case in suffolk, and the other case, which I forget, were argued without taking NYSRPA vs. Bruen into account. It wasn't part of the argument.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#37]
We're all felons anyway.  So if everyone is a felon, nobody is a felon.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Dopple:
We're all felons anyway.  So if everyone is a felon, nobody is a felon.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#39]

I believe the "others" case in suffolk, and the other case, which I forget, were argued without taking NYSRPA vs. Bruen into account. It wasn't part of the argument.
View Quote
Let's not forget the governor said they were a loophole and therefore legal.

And that case was pushed back as well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Folks from other Boards hit the roof telling me I was wrong about stripped Lowers, but if you read the language...  
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 6:20:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By fp1201:
Folks from other Boards hit the roof telling me I was wrong about stripped Lowers, but if you read the language...  
View Quote

Wrong how? What do you mean?
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#42]
PM’s have been sent to those of you who would like to get together with us on Monday evening. If anyone has not gotten one or would like to, PM me.

Looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Adirondack47:
PM’s have been sent to those of you who would like to get together with us on Monday evening. If anyone has not gotten one or would like to, PM me.

Looking forward to it.
View Quote

I'm absolutely looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:25:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fp1201] [#44]
Originally Posted By Tahawus:

Wrong how? What do you mean?
View Quote

3. "Firearm" means (a) any pistol or revolver; or (b) a shotgun having
one or more barrels less than eighteen inches in length; or (c) a  rifle
having  one  or  more barrels less than sixteen inches in length; or (d)
any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle whether by alteration, modifica-
tion, or otherwise if such weapon as altered, modified, or otherwise has
an overall length of less than twenty-six  inches;  or  (e)  an  assault
weapon; OR  (F)  ANY OTHER WEAPON THAT IS NOT OTHERWISE DEFINED IN THIS
SECTION CONTAINING ANY COMPONENT THAT PROVIDES HOUSING  OR  A  STRUCTURE
DESIGNED  TO  HOLD  OR  INTEGRATE ANY  FIRE  CONTROL  COMPONENT
THAT IS
DESIGNED TO OR MAY READILY BE CONVERTED TO EXPEL A PROJECTILE BY  ACTION
OF  EXPLOSIVE.  For  the  purpose  of this subdivision the length of the
barrel on a shotgun or  rifle  shall  be  determined  by  measuring  the
distance between the muzzle and the face of the bolt, breech, or breech-
lock  when  closed  and when the shotgun or rifle is cocked; the overall
length of a weapon made from a shotgun or rifle is the distance  between
the  extreme  ends  of  the weapon measured along a line parallel to the
center line of the bore. Firearm does not include an antique firearm.

S-9456
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Gotcha.

Link Posted: 8/20/2022 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#46]
How long will the injunction hearing take ,will it be a few hours or a few days

do any of you guys plan on attending the hearing or are you even allowed to attend thanks for the responses .
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By cranberry1:

do any of you guys plan on attending the hearing or are you even allowed to attend thanks for the responses .
View All Quotes

Hearing is Tuesday -
TEXT NOTICE re Motion [9] for Preliminary Injunction filed by Ivan Antonyuk, Gun Owners Foundation, Gun Owners of America New York, Inc., and Gun Owners of America, Inc.: An In-Person Motion Hearing is set for 8/23/2022 at 10:30 AM in Syracuse before Chief Judge Glenn T. Suddaby. (sal)

I was leaving work early Monday to get to dinner on time; I'm tempted to take Tuesday off to go to the hearing but didn't know how much space there was going to be.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By MikeyCNY:

Hearing is Tuesday -

I was leaving work early Monday to get to dinner on time; I'm tempted to take Tuesday off to go to the hearing but didn't know how much space there was going to be.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MikeyCNY:

Hearing is Tuesday -
TEXT NOTICE re Motion [9] for Preliminary Injunction filed by Ivan Antonyuk, Gun Owners Foundation, Gun Owners of America New York, Inc., and Gun Owners of America, Inc.: An In-Person Motion Hearing is set for 8/23/2022 at 10:30 AM in Syracuse before Chief Judge Glenn T. Suddaby. (sal)

That’s a concern in terms of capacity. I’m coming in Monday and staying over to attend the hearing if capacity allows.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Our thoughts and prayers are with you, God Bless you Nolo for what you do for the Second Amendment!
Page / 54
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top