Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful 2AK.  Nice job.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone ever go in from the southern entrance?  I forget the name, old mill or iron works area
View Quote

Upper Works. The history of that area is pretty cool. I began at that trailhead and went up the Calamity Brook trail for Cliff and Redfield, and also when I hiked Marshall last fall.

Looks like it was a great day in the “MACS”, OP.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd be up for a day hike - I've been doing shorter (3-5 mile) rucks with 30 lbs 2-3 times a week. I would hope I could handle longer distance with less (or no) weight, just would pack the essentials.

I can't do next weekend, I have a pistol class that Sunday and wouldn't want to wake up that morning unable to move, ha.

(edit: spelling)
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anyone ever go in from the southern entrance?  I forget the name, old mill or iron works area
View Quote

Yes, a few times back in the day.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahawus,_New_York
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Brad, this really is a good idea.  We should pick a single peak, not some 20 mile painfest.

Big Slide? (small summit area though)
Gothics via the cable route?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So when is the nyhtf high peak hike?

Brad, this really is a good idea.  We should pick a single peak, not some 20 mile painfest.

Big Slide? (small summit area though)
Gothics via the cable route?

Another good choice for us to hike as a group is Mt. Colden via Avalanche Pass.  It is really beautiful.  The trail up is a bit of a calf burner, as you gain about 1900 feet in 1.3 miles, or something like that.  Big summit with 360 degree views.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#6]
avalanche lake is amazing
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, here is my tentative plan.  I postponed Haystack, Basin, Saddleback for this saturday, and the weather looks very promising.  The following saturday, Aug 6th, I will be finishing my High Peaks on Esther and Whiteface (weather pending).  Dinner afterwards at Smoke Signals.  Anyone is welcome to join me!
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:42:34 AM EDT
[#8]
You know you can drive to the top of Whiteface, right?  Same view, less sunstroke.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You know you can drive to the top of Whiteface, right?  Same view, less sunstroke.
View Quote

What kind of fun would that be
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ok, here is my tentative plan.  I postponed Haystack, Basin, Saddleback for this saturday, and the weather looks very promising.  The following saturday, Aug 6th, I will be finishing my High Peaks on Esther and Whiteface (weather pending).  Dinner afterwards at Smoke Signals.  Anyone is welcome to join me!
View Quote
If you hadnt postponed because of the ironman I would. I'm only in the Forestport/High Peaks area till this Saturday. I'm in Lake George today and did the Tupper Lake Triad ultra yesterday.

Mt Arab firetower

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I cannot join you for the hike but possibly can join you for dinner. We are doing street and Nye on the 6th and then we’ll be at smoke signals ourselves

ETA: meant to say I have to ask the wife…
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Beautiful 2AK.  Nice job.
View Quote

Quoted:

Upper Works. The history of that area is pretty cool. I began at that trailhead and went up the Calamity Brook trail for Cliff and Redfield, and also when I hiked Marshall last fall.

Looks like it was a great day in the “MACS”, OP.
View Quote

Thanks.

That was a tough hike on the legs
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oof that’s a 3.5 hour drive for me (one way)… I’ve been to Whiteface as a kid, don’t remember it much. How beginner-friendly are they? Like I posted above I’ve been doing 3-5 mike rucks a few times a week with about 30 lbs plus water. If I drop the weight the hike itself would be much easier I’d think, but I wouldn’t want to slow anyone down. (I’ve done a few 8 mile rucks to push myself but usually stick to sub-5, eventually would like to get APC qualified but I’ve been rucking solo)
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Seems as if you are accustomed to flat hikes, you should work your way up in difficulty, not start with the 5th highest peak in the state. Explore AllTrails app. Maybe start with some milder ascents, firetower trails, etc.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 1:31:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I cannot join you for the hike but possibly can join you for dinner. We are doing street and Nye on the 6th and then we'll be at smoke signals ourselves

ETA: meant to say I have to ask the wife
View Quote
I'm sure you've done your research, but street and nye were uneventful to say the least. If its kinda wet its shit in a couple of spots. Just take your boots and socks off at the water crossing and use water shoes. Leave them on the bank after the crossing and reuse them on the way back. That way you dont have to hump wet water shoes the rest of the 3/4 of the hike. Theres a shit mud section. Both peaks have a tiny view of other peaks if you stand on your tiptoes. Enjoy the journey and that is the reward on these two
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm sure you've done your research, but street and nye were uneventful to say the least. If its kinda wet its shit in a couple of spots. Just take your boots and socks off at the water crossing and use water shoes. Leave them on the bank after the crossing and reuse them on the way back. That way you dont have to hump wet water shoes the rest of the 3/4 of the hike. Theres a shit mud section. Both peaks have a tiny view of other peaks if you stand on your tiptoes. Enjoy the journey and that is the reward on these two
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cannot join you for the hike but possibly can join you for dinner. We are doing street and Nye on the 6th and then we'll be at smoke signals ourselves

ETA: meant to say I have to ask the wife

Thank you for the recommendation. I’ve thought about water shoes for another hike.

@ADKrebel

Let’s see some pics when you’re done with Ha-Ba-Sa
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#17]
It was long and difficult. A lot more elevation gain than Cliff and Redfield. Wind at the summits was brutal, like 50mph. It was a bit more cloudy than I had hoped, but still beautiful. Lots of other peaks visible.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

1. Marcy from Haystack
2. Little Haystack and Haystack
3. Saddleback and the lower great range from Basin.
4. Pyramid and Sawteeth
5. Just climbed the cliffs of Saddleback. 44/46
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Skylight and Marcy:
Attachment Attached File

Colvin, Blake, Nippletop, Dix Range. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I wish i actually had free time….
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wish i actually had free time….
View Quote

Yes, we miss you.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Awesome pics!

The majority of people I talk to say Haystack is their favorite. All trails has the length at roughly 20 miles. Did you find that to be accurate?

You’re almost there.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Awesome pics!

The majority of people I talk to say Haystack is their favorite. All trails has the length at roughly 20 miles. Did you find that to be accurate?

You’re almost there.
View Quote

I’d say 18 or so.

FYI the Garden Parking lot was full before 5am.

I was good with fuel and water, which makes a huge difference as far as an enjoyable experience. No cramping yesterday.
Pre-hike- two hard boiled eggs and a package of pop tarts.
Throughout the day- 2 bananas, 2 PB&J sandwiches, a Greek yogurt protein smoothie, some trail mix, a protein bar, venison jerky, an oatmeal cream cookie, about 4 liters of water and a quart of pedialyte.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes, we miss you.
View Quote

Between work and family my free time has been pretty fucking limited.  

I haven't salmon fished in over 2 years and have only been fishing 2 times this year
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I’d say 18 or so.

I was good with fuel and water, which makes a huge difference as far as an enjoyable experience. No cramping yesterday.
Throughout the day- 2 bananas, 2 PB&J sandwiches, a Greek yogurt protein smoothie, some trail mix, a protein bar, venison jerky, an oatmeal cream cookie, about 4 liters of water and a quart of pedialyte.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awesome pics!

You’re almost there.

I’d say 18 or so.

That’s a good haul. My wife makes some great trail mix. I always think about pedialyte but never bring it. I should as I’m desperate for water at the end of these things.

Did a side quest from the 46 today. My daughter did bald mountain a couple years ago so I cant let her forgo the trifecta so we did the last two together.

View from black bear

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 5:41:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I already completed the TL triad and FC trifecta in 2020, so I did them both again this past winter for the winter patches.  In fact, Old Forge was 1/2/22, my first outing after catching Covid at the superspreader CNY ARF Christmas dinner party.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 6:54:48 AM EDT
[#26]
That Christmas party photo reminds me of a funny story.  Turns out 1201 and I are related by marriage.

I’ve known 1201 for some 25 years, and had met Junior several times, but not Mrs 1201.

Until a couple years ago at KCR.  She asks where I’m from originally, and I reply Rochester area.  And she asks if I know two people she names.  Now Rochester area encompasses, what, a million people?  So the probability of my knowing one of them is 1 in 500,000.   It’s actually lower since I avoid Monroe County like the plague.

But I’ll be darned, I DO know them, they’re my wife’s great uncle and aunt.   And they are the same for Mrs 1201. Small odd world.

Link Posted: 8/3/2022 6:57:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That’s a good haul. My wife makes some great trail mix. I always think about pedialyte but never bring it. I should as I’m desperate for water at the end of these things.

Did a side quest from the 46 today. My daughter did bald mountain a couple years ago so I cant let her forgo the trifecta so we did the last two together.

View from black bear

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/343031/36A5ED29-7ABC-4EBF-BA73-475B1F7392CA_jpe-2474831.JPG
View Quote

Oh wow what a view.

And ADKRebel - I think the wife and I were the only ones to NOT get sick from the Twin Trees meet-up? In fact neither of us have gotten the mysterious virus of unknown origin, and we've still worked at state facilities this whole time.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And ADKRebel - I think the wife and I were the only ones to NOT get sick from the Twin Trees meet-up? In fact neither of us have gotten the mysterious virus of unknown origin, and we've still worked at state facilities this whole time.
View Quote

I didnt get sick.
I'm waiting for Ebola. Make it worthwhile. None of that weak covid stuff.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Photo looks like an audition for Die Hard XVIII

Surprised you oldsters, and Dopple, can make it up the stairs.   OK, I took a break since Saturday and finally nothing hurts.   Tomorrow is gonna be hot, ugh.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:29:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Anyone know Labrador Hollow?  From the photo looks like it would be a scenic hike in fall.  https://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/2022/07/rangers-divers-save-angler-from-drowning-on-labrador-pond-after-he-flipped-his-kayak.html
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Anyone know Labrador Hollow?  From the photo looks like it would be a scenic hike in fall.  https://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/2022/07/rangers-divers-save-angler-from-drowning-on-labrador-pond-after-he-flipped-his-kayak.html
View Quote

Its a nice area, tinker falls is awesome if the water is flowing, trail goes under/behind it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

More interesting coming in from Morgan Hill State Forest, if hiking is your goal

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/regions_pdf/morganhillmap2021.pdf
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 1:10:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Would anyone be interested in a canoe/kayak camping  trip at the end of october for a few days?  

Doesnt even have to be on the water, we could go camp in moose river plains or west canada.  

If I plan it now I can block off the time.  If anyone is interested I’ll start a separate thread
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Would anyone be interested in a canoe/kayak camping  trip at the end of october for a few days?  

Doesnt even have to be on the water, we could go camp in moose river plains or west canada.  

If I plan it now I can block off the time.  If anyone is interested I’ll start a separate thread
View Quote

I’m interested, only available on weekends.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Aspiring no more!

Hiked Esther and Whiteface to finish my 46’er challenge. The heat and humidity really got to me hiking up the hardest section (Marble Mountain) and I couldn’t guess how many pints of sweat I dropped. Hazy views, but I don’t care, I got that shit done!

Beers and champagne at the summit, and beer and bourbon at Smoke Signals, which is an excellent bbq restaurant.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Aspiring no more!

Hiked Esther and Whiteface to finish my 46’er challenge. The heat and humidity really got to me hiking up the hardest section (Marble Mountain) and I couldn’t guess how many pints of sweat I dropped. Hazy views, but I don’t care, I got that shit done!

Beers and champagne at the summit, and beer and bourbon at Smoke Signals, which is an excellent bbq restaurant.
View Quote

Absolutely awesome!! I forgot this was today, I would have tried to meet you at Smoke Signals but 3+ hours one-way...

I did a 4 mile ruck (30 lbs) today and I was a sweaty mess, and that was with level ground.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Morning after Mimosas!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Congrats!   And on the hottest day of summer!
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Congrats brother. I hope that when I can retire in a few more years I can do what you did. I'm still trying to get 1 or 2 each year, but every year it gets a bit harder.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:42:45 AM EDT
[#40]
So if you were to start this this fall which one is ideal to start with?
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So if you were to start this this fall which one is ideal to start with?
View Quote

I think most people start with Cascade and Porter.  There is a junction near the top splits like a "Y" so you get both peaks.  For some of the trails, it just makes sense to do more than 1 at a time.
When planning hikes, make note of elevation gain as well as mileage.Attachment Attached File

VS.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#42]

Well earned and well deserved. Congratulations
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks, man!  
What was your impression of Street and Nye?
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thanks, man!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, man!  

A muddy mess but otherwise not too bad at all. We’ve got one more in us for the summer. I thought we’d be done but that fire burns. I’m thinking HaBaSa to go out with a bang.

After that I’ll be in school in one of the hardest semesters so I’ll be stuck at home until December.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Attachment Attached File

Haystack, Skylight, and Marcy from Basin.

Did HaBaSa yesterday. Long day
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#46]
It would be awesome if they installed escalators to all the peaks.   Or chair lifts.  Better yet, roads.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It would be awesome if they installed escalators to all the peaks.   Or chair lifts.  Better yet, roads.
View Quote

Wife says the same thing. Or something along the lines of “have them pull the car around” during a difficult section. She said that a lot yesterday.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/343031/053D9DEF-439A-462B-A944-F5A3A0F0F80F_jpe-2497087.JPG

Haystack, Skylight, and Marcy from Basin.

Did HaBaSa yesterday. Long day
View Quote

Kick Ass, man!

Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:38:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Congrats ADKRebel

i have 39 more to do
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top