Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I was thinking about the Seward Range hike. If people aren’t as motivated as I, they wouldn’t have to do 4 peaks. There is a lean-to 4.5 miles in. One group could stop and make camp. The second group could ascend Seymour which is another 4.5 miles round trip back to the lean-to.  Everybody camps the night. If people want to head back the next day, it’s an easy route. The group that hikes Seward, Donaldson and Emmons would most likely return a different route.  I think it could be a fun camping trip for all skill levels.
A) moderate hike in, camp, moderate hike out.
B) one peak, camp, hike out
C) 4 peaks, possibly two nights, over 20 miles.
Edit to add choice D:
D) moderate hike in and chill. Skip Seymour but on day 2 continue the loop hiking the other three peaks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#2]
You're really going to have to give us some dates if you're making things that complex
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:07:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw we pick a weekend for an arfcom camp/hike

Granted if it is in the high peaks everyone camping will have to have a bear canister, which honestly are bulky and suck ass.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I suppose we could reserve sites at Cranberry Lake. That way people can car camp or choose not to hike.

NO BEAR CANISTERS NEEDED.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I suppose we could reserve sites at Cranberry Lake. That way people can car camp or choose not to hike.
View Quote
Good idea.
Last summer we were in the area for a week and got chased off the peaks one day due to weather.
It was a good day to just hang around the tents
There are other things like lakes etc we could hit, if weather prevents hitting a peak.
I thought that only certain areas required a bear cannister?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:14:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m realizing that I need to curb my enthusiasm; not everyone is motivated to climb the high peaks. There is another goal I have, to climb to all of the existing fire towers. These are much easier hikes. There are two that are close to Cranberry Lake; Cathederal Rock and Mt. Arab. Both are about 2 miles to the top.

Just throwing out ideas.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:33:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was thinking about the Seward Range hike. If people aren’t as motivated as I, they wouldn’t have to do 4 peaks. There is a lean-to 4.5 miles in. One group could stop and make camp. The second group could ascend Seymour which is another 4.5 miles round trip back to the lean-to.  Everybody camps the night. If people want to head back the next day, it’s an easy route. The group that hikes Seward, Donaldson and Emmons would most likely return a different route.  I think it could be a fun camping trip for all skill levels.
A) moderate hike in, camp, moderate hike out.
B) one peak, camp, hike out
C) 4 peaks, possibly two nights, over 20 miles.
Edit to add choice D:
D) moderate hike in and chill. Skip Seymour but on day 2 continue the loop hiking the other three peaks.
View Quote
What route are you planning? .... Biushwacking up Caulkins Brok or the trail up and over Seward?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m thinking blueberry trail to Seymour trail. Come back down Seymour to the Seward Trail. But I’m thinking I would use Calkins Brook trail to return to where it meets up with Blueberry again. Is CB not a trail?  Is it a bushwhack?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Highland Forest hike next Saturday!  * But not if it’s raining.  Extended forecast is saying cloudy in the 20’s.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Highland Forest hike next Saturday!  * But not if it’s raining.  Extended forecast is saying cloudy in the 20’s.
View Quote
http://www.onondagacountyparks.com/parks/highland-forest/ ?

Which one are you thinking? Kirnan probably wouldn't be too bad at 3.6 miles.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#11]
That sounds very do-able. I’ll let you guys who have to come from further away state the time to meet.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I did 8 miles in the adirondacks yesterday and my legs are killing me now, lol
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Did a few miles on the trails in the local WMA yesterday, heading back today to the same general area to do more miles in another section.
I've got your hike penciled in for next Saturday. Just a matter of nothing else coming up that has a higher priority.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I did 8 miles in the adirondacks yesterday and my legs are killing me now, lol
View Quote
Nice!  What trail?  You will be fine by Saturday.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Might be able to make sat, just need to find someone to watch the kids.   If not I'll go do a solo hike on sunday, or maybe I'll go steelhead fishing
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I was digging the sunshine today. Went and jogged 3.8 miles after work.

Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Also, I believe this is a good prep exercise for backpacking.  I use those adorable little rubber covered dumbbells (8 lbs) and I do jumping jacks with them, just don't raise them too high over your head.  Yesterday I did 6 sets of 50 throughout the day.  I feel it in my shoulders and traps.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Another snow storm possible later this week, am I going to need to bring my (un-tested) snow shoes?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Well you don’t test them in the leaf piles in the fall!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#20]
How about an 11AM meet time?
Skyline Lodge
1254 Highland Forest Rd.
Fabius, NY 13063
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been advised that a retiring coworker is having their retirement party on Saturday. I'm afraid that I will have to sit this hike out.
Keep me advised on future developments
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Tentative in. Will know more tomorrow night depending on weather again...
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Due to lack of interest, consider tomorrow’s organized hike canceled. Mikey, I will contact you offline if you want to snowshoe this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 2:54:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Consider bumping it up a week. Even without this retirement party for one guy and another one of our retired guys dying yesterday, the weather reports for this weekend were concerning for me
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I’m thinking blueberry trail to Seymour trail. Come back down Seymour to the Seward Trail. But I’m thinking I would use Calkins Brook trail to return to where it meets up with Blueberry again. Is CB not a trail?  Is it a bushwhack?
View Quote
Calkins Brook is a bushwack.

If you are doing all 4 in one day; Up and down Seymour, Seward, Donaldson, Emmonds, Donaldson and down CB (no need to back track over Seward).
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How about an 11AM meet time?
Skyline Lodge
1254 Highland Forest Rd.
Fabius, NY 13063
View Quote
With the weather we’ve had, I don’t think snowshoes will be necessary this weekend. Anybody want to hit this trail on Sunday?
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 9:34:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

With the weather we’ve had, I don’t think snowshoes will be necessary this weekend. Anybody want to hit this trail on Sunday?
View Quote
I'm already committed to another groups 8-ish  mile hike on Sunday.
Keep me informed on the next one.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 11:07:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I can't do this weekend, but definitely sometime this month after this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm considering hiking to the fire tower on Woodhull mountain this weekend.  This is not a steep hike, but it is about 15 miles, round trip.  This is off 28N, a few miles south of Old Forge.  If anyone wants to join me, let me know.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Saturday is open for me. Sunday is not an option.

edit: this trail?

https://www.cnyhiking.com/WoodhullMountain.htm

Link Posted: 3/11/2020 2:17:18 PM EDT
[#31]
If anyone else wants to join us on saturday, there is room in the carpool from a location along I-81.  PM for details.

EDIT:  Yes, the above trail.  Depending on how far back the road is open, it may be less than 15 miles.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I’m thinking about heading back to Old Forge this weekend. We never got to the fire tower like we hoped. Forecast looks good. It also looks like snow will be melting over the next three days.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 7:58:50 AM EDT
[#33]
I’m so sick of this totalitarian bullshit. I think what I need is ADK mud and tranquility.

I had another idea for a hike. We hike into Lake Colden which is about 5 miles one way. There looks to be over a dozen campsites and a lean-to or two. From this area there are several high peaks that are close, including Colden or Marcy. There is also a non peak trail people could do. Or just relax by the lake and campsite. I think the views could be better from some of these peaks vs. the Sewards.

More options, better views, and plenty of campsites that are free and not “closed”. Depending on the weather, how does the first weekend in June sound?
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Totalian?  We need to open the malls and theaters!

I’ve always been an advocate of outdoors, telling the fatties that I could slim em down, but never realized the ramifications of wholesale takeup.

We dropped by one of our favored easy hikes, Lake Bluff on the shore of Lake Ontario and the friggin parking lot, never more than 1/3 capacity even in summer, was full with cars parked 1/4 mile each way!   And I saw more ass, both volume and mass, than I’d typically see everywhere in a year!  

Open the malls!  Make the go away!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#35]
41ML:

Since you're up in that part of the state , have you done any or all of the Onondaga Trail? Is it worth the effort or better passed on by?

https://fingerlakestrail.org/plan-hikes-finger-lakes-trail/end-to-end-hiking/
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I followed the link but it didn’t show the Onondaga Trail. AllTrails says it is a 14.5 mile out and back in Morgan Hill. I’m down for trying it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 41magluva:
I followed the link but it didn’t show the Onondaga Trail. AllTrails says it is a 14.5 mile out and back in Morgan Hill. I’m down for trying it.
View Quote

Its just a listing under "branch trails".
I've already done the Interloken Trail, so this would be my second branch trail on their list
Let me know what your availability is with these weird schedules we all have now.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#38]
MY AVAILABILITY???

Yeah, that’s pretty much every day. Oswego County is all buttoned down; after all, there are 7 active cases of wu-flu. I’m not even sure if I’ll have a job in the fall.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top