Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2017 7:21:35 AM EDT
Have a quick question for you guys on NY laws.

My FIL lives in NY, I don't.  I have a C&R FFL.

Back in 2015, I bought an old (C&R old) Ruger Blackhawk from my FIL under the auspices of my C&R FFL.  It's logged dutifully in my book.  He actually brought it along on a visit and we did the transfer.  He has a receipt.

When he went to re-cert his pistol permit last week, he also filed an Amendment Form (PPB-5) to remove the Blackhawk from his permit.  The lady behind the counter told him "Oh, you can't do that any more. All transfers have to go through an FFL and get a background check.  Here's the name of a local dealer."

He tried telling her I lived in a different state, and the transfer had been done using my 03 FFL.  "All transfers have to go through an FFL.  Here's the name of a local dealer."  She wouldn't come off that.

He called yesterday asking what to do now. She's wasn't coming off her position.  I told him she was wrong, and to speak to a supervisor.  He's 82, and is worried about "making trouble."  

I just wanted to make sure I'm correct before he goes back.  NY law for background checks is for NY, no?  Am I on solid ground telling him to go back and speak to someone who knows WTF they're talking about?

Thanks for the help.  This sure is easier in NH.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#1]
What county is this being done in? The re-cert is done through the state police not county. Some counties are harder to deal with than others, a poster may be able to help depending on the county.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What county is this being done in? The re-cert is done through the state police not county. Some counties are harder to deal with than others, a poster may be able to help depending on the county.
View Quote
He lives in East Syracuse, which is Onondaga County, I think.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Ask him to reach out to his local Sheriff Office.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#4]
The person he spoke to probably has no idea what the differences between an 01, and 03 or even an 07 FFL are.
He has a receipt. He may need a copy of your C & R to prove your status with that.
Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top