Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2017 2:16:52 PM EDT
In a few months I will be traveling I-84 from the PA border to the CT border on I-84.

I've read through as much information as I can find for FOPA, Safe Passage, etc.

I just want to check here if anyone who is familiar with that area knows anywhere along that route that has further restrictions?

Firearm (pistol, (2) less than 10 round magazines) will be in a locked, secured container in the most rearward compartment of the vehicle. Ammunition, not loaded into magazines, will be locked and secured in a different contained and secured in the back of the vehicle. I just want to verify that there's nothing else I'm missing here.

Lastly, no weird ammo (hollow point) restrictions in NY state like there is in NJ, correct?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#1]
New Yorkistan does not have any weird ammo restrictions about hollow points unlike New Jersey.  Based upon your description (unloaded in a locked container not accessible to the driver or passengers) you should be pretty safe.  Do not stop in New Jersey for gas (the stations in Milford right off the first NY exit on I84 are actually in NJ).  Obey traffic laws and avoid unnecessary stops in NY, you will have about a 1 hour run through NY on your way to CT.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Carrying a printed copy of FOPA wouldn't hurt, plus if anything does happen you can show intent to comply with the law.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the good input, gentlemen.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 5:43:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the good input, gentlemen.
View Quote
Have a safe trip to free America.  The leaves are starting to turn and you will see the natural beauty of New York on your way through.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:24:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Watch the speed limit on 84. I used to work in the Newburgh area. State police love to set up speed traps near Newburgh.  The speed limit drops from 65 to 55 about 10 miles before the bridge.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:55:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The leaves are starting to turn and you will see the natural beauty of New York on your way through.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The leaves are starting to turn and you will see the natural beauty of New York on your way through.
Looking forward to it!

Quoted:
Watch the speed limit on 84. I used to work in the Newburgh area. State police love to set up speed traps near Newburgh.  The speed limit drops from 65 to 55 about 10 miles before the bridge.
Noted. Thanks for that info!
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Uselessness and revenue driven BS personified.  Where is a directional EMP when you need one? Every such speed trap says the local barracks are overstaffed. And usually grossly overpaid.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Gas up before NY

I think ny even has a special regulation making guns illegal at thruway rest stops 
View Quote
Pretty much at the point where I believe all good citizens have the affirmative duty to ignore unjust and foolish "laws".
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Pretty much at the point where I believe all good citizens have the affirmative duty to ignore unjust and foolish "laws".
View Quote
Until you get jammed up and your setting in jail.. It cost you a ton of money that view goes out the window..
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#11]
The only rule is don't invite the man in your life.
Officer- "Anything in the vehicle I should know about?"
You- "No, sir".
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Until you get jammed up and your setting in jail.. It cost you a ton of money that view goes out the window..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as they can pick off one by one, yes. When good people band together and say "no more" such becomes much, much harder.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Lied to all of you about the "in a few months" travel plans. My trip was actually over the weekend.

Made it through NY on 84 without any issues. Locked it up at the border, minded my P's and Q's.

I appreciate the good input from you guys. The State Boys were definitely out in force, like someone mentioned here.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:06:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Let me know the first time a band of bros breaks some guy out of jail for violating the SAFE Act
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as they can pick off one by one, yes. When good people band together and say "no more" such becomes much, much harder.
Let me know the first time a band of bros breaks some guy out of jail for violating the SAFE Act
Sadly, rather unlikely.  Besides, who wants to harm law enforcement who are upholding their constitutional oath?  Those who deliberately attack rights like the  Pelosis and Cuomos of the world need to be made public examples of.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:48:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Is that oath to the Constitution?
Or to the people?
Or to the politicians?

Quite a moral conundrum to find oneself in.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:52:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 6:05:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Edit.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 6:16:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is that oath to the Constitution?
Or to the people?
Or to the politicians?

Quite a moral conundrum to find oneself in.
View Quote
One swears an oath to uphold the Constitution, which affirms some and grants other rights to the people.

Those who swear allegiance to politicians are, well, a rather different breed and anything  BUT American.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 3:12:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Lied to all of you about the "in a few months" travel plans. My trip was actually over the weekend.

Made it through NY on 84 without any issues. Locked it up at the border, minded my P's and Q's.

I appreciate the good input from you guys. The State Boys were definitely out in force, like someone mentioned here.
View Quote
Darn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top