Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2017 9:54:38 PM EDT
I guess that I will need to renew my CCW permit before January. Does the process go through the county clerk's office or is it done through the state police website? What were your experiences?

I was lucky enough to have moved to VA in 2015 and was able to change my address on my permit to my VA address, so now I have an out of state permit. I haven't received any letters from the Livingston Co clerk. I was just wondering if it was worth renewing or if I should just give it up.

Thanks
Todd
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:03:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Through the state police website
Do you still maintain a residence or conduct business in NYS?
if not, how were you able to keep your NYS permit.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I still have family in NYS and travel there occasionally. When I was moving, I went to the Livingston County clerk's office to turn in my permit. They told me I could just amend it to my new, VA address, so that's what I did. I was issued new permit from the sheriff's office with my new address. I contacted the clerk's office in the spring and was told that I needed a NYS pic ID to renew. I have given it some time and will check the state police website to see if their rules have updated for out of state permit holders who don't have a current NYS ID. I don't travel to NYS that much so I might just turn the turn the permit in and not renew.
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:28:21 PM EDT
[#3]
As I understand it one of the “required fields “ in the paperwork is a nys drivers license or non driver I’d card. Not sure you will be able
To
Keep you permit no longer being a resident- again my impression is in order to have a nonresident you must have real property ( home/land in your name ) in the state
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As I understand it one of the “required fields “ in the paperwork is a nys drivers license or non driver I’d card. Not sure you will be able
To
Keep you permit no longer being a resident- again my impression is in order to have a nonresident you must have real property ( home/land in your name ) in the state
View Quote
Good luck getting ANY answers or clarifications from the NYSP.....the whole "permit" system is royally fucked and needs to be scrapped, and they  know it! Yet another reason why they want YOU to tell them who you are, where you live, and exactly what you have.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top